cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer provided fake address, zero feedback, possible scam?

Slightly different situation then other posts like this. 
$1500 item, zero feedback buyer purchased an item from me.

Since it was an $$ item, I wanted to check the address, turns out the address simply does not exist, there is no street named that in their city.
I then messaged the buyer, asking for clarification, and they sent me a new address that is real, its a house with rented out rooms according to zillow. (my understanding for a search here is normally the buyer emails first asking to change the shipping address)

I spoke to ebay CS, and at their recommendation I then canceled the sale for a refund and told the buyer.
The buyer replied says she still wants the item and will change the address and recheck out.

Something still seems off, so I currently blocked the buyer. I just dont see how you could enter a completely wrong address (it was NO typo) when buying something $$$. But then again, the item has been listed for over a year and i want it gone lol.
IF they buy it, and i ship it to the address listed, am I protected?
Thanks guys
19yrs on ebay

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer provided fake address, zero feedback, possible scam?

Go with your gut. Cancel the order and block them.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

No matter how badly you want the item gone, allowing this buyer to purchase is a bad idea.

They have already demonstrated that they either don't know how eBay works, or are working up to a scam.

Sadly, no transaction on eBay is one hundred percent protected.  

Also, now that I have seen what you're selling, have to ask:  Are you certain that you are allowed to list a crocodile bag on eBay?  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

another note, almost all of the communication from the buyer was sent early morning East Coast time Even though their location was West Coast. If this person truly was on the west coast, that meant they were sending these messages at 3:00 to 4:00 in the morning their time.

Very suspicious.

I kept the buyer on my block list and moved on.

As for the crocodile product, there are a ton of these on eBay anyway, but I double checked there are no restrictions for alligator and crocodile products in less the seller is in California, which I am not.

I'm not a fan of animal products hence why I'm trying to sell this thing lol

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Go with your gut. Cancel the order and block them.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It is possible credit card fraud.....   I would cancel and block that buyer.  

at later time, the real owner of credit card will do charge back and you will get payment dispute.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Just had this happen today for a $0.99 item.  This is the 4th person to give me fake addresses.  I just messaged them and said I am sorry I am confirming addresses now.  I dont accept orders from non-existing addresses.  I cancelled and refunded them.  The previous orders all got returned by USPS. When I checked the address Emevery address was fake. The street didnt even exist.   When I went in to refund them the user they no longer existed and I couldnt contact them.  There are scammers, that must think its funny to cost us shipping.  It really is sad.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Could they be fishing for feedback? Some sellers won't deal with zero or low feedback buyers, and we can't leave them negative feedback if they paid. I think this is happening to me too, I get at least 2 bad addresses a month all of a sudden.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply