cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer paid contractor to install item but unhappy with color, wants partial refund

Hi all. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do on this one... Ive been selling for about 8 months, a little over 1000 transactions, and fortunately have had very few issues with buyers. I sold a ceiling fan last week, as 'New - Open Box'. Which was accurate - all internal packaging in tact, all components still individually wrapped i  celophane/padding, hardware bags still sealed, and molded styrofoam undamaged.

For the listing image i took a close-up photo of the product image printed on the outside of the box.

The buyer contacted me saying he was very disappointed because the glass globe in the image was tan/pale yellow, but now that its installed the globe looks more white in color. I apologized and offered that he return for a refund but he said he paid an electrician to install it and would have to pay him again to uninstall it, and asked for a partial refund to buy a different globe.

I did check the globe to make sure it was not broken before shipping, but did not notice that the color might have been different. I called the manufacturer and they do not sell that fan in any other color schemes, so i do not know how he could have received anything different from the photo.

I asked for a picture of the installed fan but he has not sent one. 

Where i messed up, is when he suggested a partial to replace the globe, i said that i would consider it, depending on price, because ultimately i want to try to take care of my customers, and i was imagining it might be $10 at Lowes. Now, the only replacement globe available is $50. I sold the fan for $90 with free shipping so after fees etc i probably barely made $50 on it. Id rather just have it returned and re-sell it

I checked his feedback history, specifically left for others, and there were no real red flags of being an unscrupulous buyer.

TLDR he says wrong color glass, but i dont know how thats possible and he hasnt sent pics. Partial refund hes asking for to replace is out of the question. Id rather he return for refund but he paid an electrician to install it which complicates that.

I dont know what to even say...

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Buyer paid contractor to install item but unhappy with color, wants partial refund

This is so true.  It is called "working the system"  Take the loss and move on.  Save your self a full refund + shipping + negative feedback.  Sometimes, we just have to eat it.  Been there ... done that.

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

Re: Buyer paid contractor to install item but unhappy with color, wants partial refund

Sounds like the OP didn't take a "hit" via the eBay system.  Hope  what the OP said in  his last post that is the end of this story.

Refuse to state what options some  buyers "mite"  have - h at to hep scammers or attempted scammers..

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Now report the buyer and block the buyer. 

Message 33 of 33
latest reply