cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer never shipped item back after starting a return request.

Sometime a few weeks ago I sold an ASUS laptop. A few days after the person received it, they started a return request saying that the unit is slow and not turning on (I test each and every single one of my laptops before shipping them so I'm surprised the buyer had any issues). I accepted the return (I had to pay for shipping) and waited for the buyer to return the item.

"We've asked the buyer to ship the item back by Aug 20. Wait until you get the item back before issuing a refund. You should wait until you get the item back before you refund the buyer. Please ensure that you issue the refund within 6 business days of the item being delivered. If your buyer doesn't ship the item we may close the return and you don't have to issue a refund." was the message I got from eBay.

The buyer never shipped the laptop back. I was expecting the return to close and I can keep the money... but it didn't. A day later and eBay still hasn't closed the case. What should I do? Do I have to wait longer?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer never shipped item back after starting a return request.

@saputo_technologies wrote:

eBay issued the return label (that would be charged from my PayPal if it was ever used which it never was). Pretty sure the buyer just never shipped it back.

eBay would have billed you on your monthly invoice if the label was used. If there is no tracking just call eBay and have them close the return.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

They might have shipped it back WITHOUT A TRACKING NUMBER, uploaded in the return request. Did Ebay issue the return label to them, or did you email it to them on your own?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

eBay issued the return label (that would be charged from my PayPal if it was ever used which it never was). Pretty sure the buyer just never shipped it back.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

You could message the buyer and ask if they have shipped it back yet and see what kind of reply or any reply you get. If the buyer does not upload the tracking number into the return request there will be no record of the item being in the process of return.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I think when the labels come straight from Ebay they automatically load into the case so you might be right about that.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The ship back without adding a tracking number has happened to us several times. Sometimes we even get a SURPRISE SURPRISE return where they have bypassed the whole return process and we just get the stuff back. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@saputo_technologies wrote:

eBay would have billed you on your monthly invoice if the label was used. If there is no tracking just call eBay and have them close the return.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

You will most likey have to wait longer and you can call Ebay and ask them how long before they close the case. Of course, if they do send it back you should refund as long as they have not done something naughty to your computer.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yes, had not thought about that one.  Also, for the poster, if there is no record of the return via tracking then It was never returned.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

You will most likey have to wait longer and you can call Ebay and ask them how long before they close the case. Of course, if they do send it back you should refund as long as they have not done something naughty to your computer.

Nope. He does not have to wait any longer. The buyer had until 8/20 to ship back the item and upload tracking if not using an eBay generated label. OP could have called yesterday to get it closed if he wanted. He can call today and they will close it. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Great!!!!! I needed to know that to for my future encounters.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Not sure if this was made clear or not - the buyer has to start the return, ie: put the package in the mail by the date given.  It doesn't have to arrive back to you in that time.  And eBay will extend the time for the buyer for weeks if you or the buyer contacts them. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

Not sure if this was made clear or not - the buyer has to start the return, ie: put the package in the mail by the date given.  It doesn't have to arrive back to you in that time.  And eBay will extend the time for the buyer for weeks if you or the buyer contacts them. 

eBay will not extend the time if OP calls. The return will be closed in his favor. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply