cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer has not received package after 23 days (USPS 1st class package with tracking)

Hi,  I sent an item via USPS 1st class package with tracking on Aug 7.  It's been 23 days, and the last tracking of it is on August 10 ("In Transit").  I went to the post office to ask about it, but they said they were too busy and gave me a phone number to call.  I called the phone number 3 times, but each time, I was put on hold for a long time, followed by a busy signal.  What should I do now?  Am I supposed to give the buyer a refund?  If so, do I do it from my PayPal account or my eBay account?  And if I give them a refund, what happens if the package finally arrives a week or a month from now?  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Buyer has not received package after 23 days (USPS 1st class package with tracking)

On the USPS web site, there is a convenient link to initiate a missing mail search. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Buyer has not received package after 23 days (USPS 1st class package with tracking)

Three things:

1. If the buyer has not opened up an item not received case, it is possible that they received it but that the tracking simply wasn't updated with "delivered".  So, if the buyer is not objecting, then you don't need to do anything.
  2. If you are intent on finding out more info about the package, then go back to the post office (perhaps when they are not so busy), and ask for details of the tracking.  Smaller branches may be more friendly.
  3. Finally, refunds are done easily through the eBay interface if the buyer has opened up a case.  But, again, if there's no case then there's nothing you need to do.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I mailed at item at a UPS store this week, where the mail is picked up by USPS.  I have never had an issue with the pickups and items being scanned.  Until this week.  Still no scan. Called PO.  They said sometimes the scanner won't read the bar code, but it is still the postal workers responsibility to hand enter it if if won't scan.  They would not look for the item though.  I mailed two other packages that day, placed in the same bin, at the same time, and those two were scanned in.  I have to wait per postal rules to file a lost mail claim when at least 7 days have passed since I shipped it.  A full week without knowing where my package is!  And we all know how acomodating EBAY is to sellers regarding  shipping/tracking, LOL!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I had same problem (PRIORITY MAIL package took over 3 WEEKS to arrive to customer). I filed MISSING PACKAGE claim with the USPS (postal rep said they don't search around for lost package). They were very defensive and assumed that LABEL FELL OFF (which limits USPS liability). Anyway, the package finally arrived and the customer was happy.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@honestguy11 wrote:

Hi,  I sent an item via USPS 1st class package with tracking on Aug 7.  It's been 23 days, and the last tracking of it is on August 10 ("In Transit").  I went to the post office to ask about it, but they said they were too busy and gave me a phone number to call.  I called the phone number 3 times, but each time, I was put on hold for a long time, followed by a busy signal.  What should I do now?  Am I supposed to give the buyer a refund?  If so, do I do it from my PayPal account or my eBay account?  And if I give them a refund, what happens if the package finally arrives a week or a month from now?  

I suggest you do not refund. You shipped it and have proof of that. You can not control the post office. Maybe call the local post office where the package went and speak to the post master. Or suggest the buyer do this. They may still get the package. I have had packages tour half the country before circling back to the ship to address. I was able to follow their treak though.

"Scanning is one thing but making sure the pkg. gets on the right truck is another. " A post master actually told me that once. I doubt you will have to refund anything. Don't worry about it. Well, you shouldn't.

energy flows where attention goes

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Go to your Orders > Paid & shipped and click on the tracking number.  When you are at the USPS.COM site, over on the right side is an option to get updates via email.  Often that helps to get the tracking updated.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 7 of 7
latest reply