cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a new phone which broke down, seller not responding about guarantee, what to do?

Hi ya all,

I bought a brand new HTC 10 last July and it broke down last week, which I believe should still be covered by guarantee. I have sent couple of messages to the seller, wothout receiving any reply.

Any ideas what to do? I have tried opening a case to resolution center, but I get stuck because the list of otems is not showing past six months so I am not able to select the product I am having problems with.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Bought a new phone which broke down, seller not responding about guarantee, what to do?

Warranties are serviced by manufacturers, not sellers.  You should be contacting HTC to see if they can help you.  They may not however since sales on sites like this are often excluded.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You have 30 days to file a case with eBay and 180 to file with PayPal. You have exceeded both of these dates.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@jovihavawrote:

Hi ya all,

I bought a brand new HTC 10 last July and it broke down last week, which I believe should still be covered by guarantee. I have sent couple of messages to the seller, wothout receiving any reply.

Any ideas what to do? I have tried opening a case to resolution center, but I get stuck because the list of otems is not showing past six months so I am not able to select the product I am having problems with.

Just to help clarify the difference between the eBay Money Back Guarantee (MBG) and a manufacturer warranty:

• The eBay MBG ensures that you receive the product as described by the eBay seller ... once you verify that you received the correct product in the condition described, then the guarantee is completed.
  • A manufacturer's warranty covers the longer term functionality of the device, and is valid only if purchased through an authorized retailer ... as mentioned earlier, many sellers on eBay are not authorized retailers, but resellers or just individuals who received it as a gift and are selling it.  Even if you don't know whether or not your seller is authorized, you should go ahead and contact HTC to see if they will provide warranty coverage.
  • Many people buy warranty coverage through companies like Asurion and SquareTrade, particularly after the original warranty expires.  If you did this, then you would need to contact that insurer.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Which guarantee do you think should be covering your phone? eBay doesn’t provide a warranty, the money back guarantee ensures you will get the item you purchased, nothing more. And you have 30 days to file a request. A warranty comes from the manufacturer and you have to contact them if you think the phone is under warranty. eBay doesn’t get involved in that.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 5
latest reply