cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another unfortunate Packing slip change

What is with this new packing slip change? None of the important information is on the packing slip anymore.

It used to have the price a customer purchased the item for. This was good for international items when customs wanted to see the value of an item. Long gone. Have to print that from paypal now.

Now the customer's user name and the custom message I used to put on there is gone. I used the custom message to put the serial number when an item that I sell has one. Better protection for me. Gone.

Now all you get is a single line with the item description, seller user name and a small list of messages that can be applied. Now its just so stupid.

packing slip.jpg

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Another unfortunate Packing slip change

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@eburtonlab wrote:

It appears that eBay has removed the custom message option from the packing slip for security reasons (?).

You may be able to print something approximating the old packing slip by using the "print invoice" option on the label management page, at least for the time being. See here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/New-Packing-slip-is-missing-buyer-s-and-seller-s-STAT...

Any guess as to why customizing a packing slip is a security risk??  My guess is that they want to eliminate sellers leaving a note with the url for their own website. ??

And anyone with any level of intelligence will simply drop a business card or pre-printed ad in the box with the website info.  This doesn't protect eBay at all.....  security risk... right.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Another unfortunate Packing slip change

@pjcdn2005 

Any guess as to why customizing a packing slip is a security risk?

Given that the seller has total control over whether to print a packing slip at all, and the seller can still choose to print out something else entirely and include that as a packing slip, I am having a hard time thinking up how disallowing a custom text field makes the packing slip any more secure. You can still print the new packing slip on your custom letterhead that has your web address, after all.

Perhaps there is some sort of exploit that can affect something else besides the packing slip, and fixing that vulnerability has the side effect of complicating the process of adding user-generated text to the packing slip. So in a roundabout way, the loss of the custom text is due to security concerns.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply