cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$800 item finally shows up after more than 4 months, now what?

Early May I bought something and the seller shipped it USPS Priority mail. Normally I'd have gotten it within a few days but for some reason instead of Texas to Michigan route, it went to Nebraska, Oregon, back to Texas (different city), then Georgia after 2 weeks in Texas, where it remained since then.  Seller refunded me and filed for lost package.

I have no idea if the seller got the refund but the lost package finally showed up today, wrapped in USPS bag with an apology letter. The printed label was faded like a typical thermal paper. The addresses, postage information, tracking number and barcode couldn't be read at all (almost a completely blank label).  When I looked up the purchase history and checked tracking, the number was no longer in the system.  The only reason I got the package was the invoice paper left inside the package.

Seller is no longer registered on eBay (no negs though, just up and closed or something) so I can't contact to let him know.  If the seller got full refund from insurance, then I got a freebie due to a screwup somewhere. But if the seller didn't get refund, I'd like to try and offer repayment for the item.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: $800 item finally shows up after more than 4 months, now what?

Seem to me you are trying to do the right thing.

Yet a lot of time has passed.

I would advise contacting eBay and see if you can get the sellers information from them.

Also try your payment method for a record that may have a way to contact the seller.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If there was an invoice inside, it could have the seller's name and address on it. Google it, see what pops up. Maybe you can find a social media account of some sort and contact them that way. 

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Wow,    Just Wow.      I don't very often advise calling ebay.    This is one of those times.  

I had a situation like this where a stamp collection I purchased went missing for 4 months,     It turned up finally and 

I was able to settle up with the seller who had refunded me.

The google suggestion is good too.     I'd try to track the seller down.     Who know why he left ebay?    Maybe 

an $800.00 loss was more than he could handle.    

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@cloudy_mountain wrote:

Seller is no longer registered on eBay

Forget it forever and go about your day.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@cloudy_mountain wrote:

Seller is no longer registered on eBay (no negs though, just up and closed or something) so I can't contact to let him know.

Very noble of you, but your options are kind of limited. If the seller's return address is showing on the packing slip inside, then Google that and you might find a phone number (or at least you can verify that the seller is still there, not dead yet, etc.). If the return address is a PO Box, you could try contacting that post office and see if the address is still current and the box is still theirs. 

I don't think your task is impossible here, but after this much time has elapsed, I wouldn't knock yourself out trying to re-pay if you don't make progress right away. (If you're successful, let us know how it goes.)

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If the seller’s address is on the invoice or on package, send them a check. 

The $800 refund they made to you may be the reason they are no longer selling. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I have had to give this a bit more thought.

You should contact eBay due to eBay may be the one who gave a refund and never collected from the seller.

I know of cases this was done.

Just saying, eBay may be due the money not the seller.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Very good point.  

Wonder if buyer could find payment in her PP to see how refund was made?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Some Google-fu using the limited information I had, I was able to find the original seller, on an obituary. He was in his late 80s and seems to have passed away about a month after I got the refund.  I am guessing the next of kin closed the account due to his passing away.

I did find someone, his daughter possibly, and will wait for a response.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

That's really sad... it is very good of you to get this rectified! You can also use  Fast People Search to get info too... Most people wouldn't even bother trying to do this!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply