cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 return policy is absured!!!!!

Who in their right mind puts a 30 day return policy on a used item?  Is E-Bay trying to compete with Wal-Mart of Amazon?  What makes E-Bay think that after we sell an item we can  just sit on the money for 30 days until we know joe whoever is happy with it.  I am not a huge transhipper (which is another issue althogether) that can do that.  I am not Wally World with billons to pay out for returns long after the buyer should know if he wants it or not.  A 7 day I can see.  I am a Top Rated Seller with over a 1000 sales and a 100% satisfaction rate, yet I sell small low budget items and when I make a sale I have to reinvest the sale money into more inventory, unlike transhippers who don't have to worry about inventory or having the money for inventory because the buyer pays it and they wait forever to get their item, unlike me, who ships it in 1 day because i actually have the item.  I want to be a Top Rated Plus seller, but it's another way E-Bay keeps me from making any money ad what I dommake to pay it to them.  Change it back to 7, or 14 like it used to be and quit trying to xompete with peaple you can't.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: 30 return policy is absured!!!!!

I sell in acatagory with a very low rate of returns, antique and vintage china. either it is broke in shipping (Ipack very well, cause there is nothing worse then having a plate last over 100 years and the p.o. has it 3 days and BAAM) People know what they want and buy it(no remorsereturns, cause they are looking for it) I decided that I dont want to deal with the hassle of returns I would have no problems with 30 day returns Cause on Ebay you really have 180 day returns with Paypal anyway,

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

"Who in their right mind puts a 30 day return policy on a used item?"

Um...that would be me...I too am a small seller.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

That's cool, wish I could.  Thanks for reading it though.

Tom

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

eBay has their MBG for 30 days and then there’s PayPal for 180 and CC Chargeback for how ever long.

Just describe your items correctly, answer buyers questions and save all your coins just Incase you get a return.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I sell in acatagory with a very low rate of returns, antique and vintage china. either it is broke in shipping (Ipack very well, cause there is nothing worse then having a plate last over 100 years and the p.o. has it 3 days and BAAM) People know what they want and buy it(no remorsereturns, cause they are looking for it) I decided that I dont want to deal with the hassle of returns I would have no problems with 30 day returns Cause on Ebay you really have 180 day returns with Paypal anyway,

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Well me too (I sell vintage collectible porcelain dolls), but the problem here is they have the doll for 26 days and a lovely little child comes are rips an arm off (making the doll worthless), and that's my problem?  If you cannot decide you like it in 7 or 14 days then why did you buy it in the first place?  I have a De Lemoges plate for sale on my site 🙂 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

What if you sell books? A dishonest buyer could buy a book, read it and return it within 30 days and you would be forced to accept his return and of course, ebay would side with the buyer if they opened a case against the seller.

Another  gem that ebay hasn't completely thought out.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@vanman1029 wrote:

What if you sell books? A dishonest buyer could buy a book, read it and return it within 30 days and you would be forced to accept his return and of course, ebay would side with the buyer if they opened a case against the seller.

What kind of books? If you sell collectible books, the buyers for those books don't want to read and return. They want the book to keep.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@vanman1029 wrote:

What kind of books? If you sell collectible books, the buyers for those books don't want to read and return. They want the book to keep.

Also with magazines. Sometimes buyers I've had just are looking for one photo or one article. They can scan or photo the article or photo and then ask to return. I once had a woman ask to return a magazine and her reason was because she had finished reading it.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I've been selling on eBay for more than 20 years -- with ZERO returns. Allowing 30 days for returns is the mail order industry standard. Keep in mind that "delivered" does not necessarily mean "received." I sometimes let packages sit at the PMB for 2 or 3 weeks before I finally decide to go get them. Oh, and eBay sellers can select a 60-day return period if they prefer to give buyers greater leeway. To cut down on returns, you might try correct spelling. It improves buyer confidence in the seller and makes silly "buyer's remorse" returns and phony SNAD complaints less likely. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@difinitive941 wrote:

... I am a Top Rated Seller with over a 1000 sales and a 100% satisfaction rate, yet I sell small low budget items and when I make a sale I have to reinvest the sale money into more inventory...

From what I see you're doing everything right. If there is no benefit for you in offering 30 day returns (which I don't think there is for most small sellers), don't.

Not only does eBay virtually give every sale a 30 warranty, but PayPal gives them 180 days and if they paid by credit card, that gets bumped up to a year or more!

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

You can choose to say No Returns.

But that is not the same thing as No Refunds.

If you sell on eBay you are open to Disputes (and refunds) for 30 days after the last estimated date for delivery or of delivery, whichever comes first.

If you accept Paypal (including guest buyers whose credit card payments are processed through PP) you are open to Disputes (and refunds) for 180 days after PAYMENT.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I've been selling on ebay for 16 years.  In all that time, I have probably had less than 10 returns.  Since I switched to 30 day returns and 1-day shipping, to get the top rated plus benefits, I haven't had a return in all that time.  I'm a low volume seller selling in a niche market, so the 10% discount (previously 20%) on FVF isn't all that important, but getting the commercial plus discount on shipping costs means more to me.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

You are NOT alone.

I just being scammed ....

high value brand new item over USD2000,   used near 4 weeks and then return back.

I have to pay return shipping cost and I received back a USED item.

once buyer return it back with POD,  he got his money back....

ebay will not care what you have set in return T&C e.g. buyer pay return cost, restocking fee.....

once POD,  refund... case closed..

Believe me... endup only amazon kind monster company can exist online....  small sellers will bankrupt because of such return policy....

It is NOT possible to sell any high value items on ebay....   i am thinking open a luxuary goods rental shop....  just as a serial returner...  keep buy from differenc seller and return within 1 month.

NO COST! even return at seller cost!! 

I believe in Karma... I wait to see when will ebay go bankrupt.

Good luck!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

I've been selling on ebay for 16 years.  In all that time, I have probably had less than 10 returns.  Since I switched to 30 day returns and 1-day shipping, to get the top rated plus benefits, I haven't had a return in all that time.  I'm a low volume seller selling in a niche market, so the 10% discount (previously 20%) on FVF isn't all that important, but getting the commercial plus discount on shipping costs means more to me.

Hi! disneyshopper   I didn't  see post  on  seller update  board   about   Ebay forcing  Free returns   as part of getting  the TRS+   Discount  after  May 1st.         I do agree  of  No return s On used  Items  ,Which  is common  in the real  world retail industry.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply