cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 little books weigh 8 oz in flat envelope. ebay says 2 pounds. how do they figure?

I don't understand ebay shipping estimates. I have 2 small children's books, weigh less than 8 oz in a 9"x7" envelope.  When I make up the listing to sell them, ebay says shipping is over 2 pounds.   How do they get this?    Anyone else having this trouble?                                       

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator     

10 oz   ship from S Tx to Boston   $3.65 media rate or 1st class $3.42.  ?? Another question. 

When I sold a 2 pound lot of watch parts, ebay said ship in large flat envelope. I had to use a box with bubble wrap. That was ok because it went Priority with insurance. 

I need an accurate way to predict shipping. I'm 80+ and should retire but I need to sell dead items from my store.  I need a profit.    ... Thank you for any help. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

2 little books weigh 8 oz in flat envelope. ebay says 2 pounds. how do they figure?

My kneejerk reaction is that you're not setting the shipping dimensions, weight and method (etc.) correctly when making the listings. Say... in your 'large flat envelope' example, I'd correct that before going live. Just a thought...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

YOU are supposed to set the correct weight and package type every time you list an item, not just accept eBay's automatic default. EBay has no idea how much your items weigh or how big they are. You should be able to go in to your listings now to correct them. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@co-lektor wrote: ... I sold a 2 pound lot of watch parts, ebay said ship in large flat envelope. I had to use a box with bubble wrap. That was ok because it went Priority with insurance. ...

Again, eBay's advice is based on the category. Probably many other Sellers of watch parts use the Priority Mail flat rate envelopes for shipping 2-pound lots, so if you don't want to do your own thinking you can rely on eBay's "category average" shipping choice.

@co-lektor wrote: ... I need an accurate way to predict shipping. I'm 80+ and should retire but I need to sell dead items from my store.  I need a profit.    ... Thank you for any help. 

What does age have to do with it?  Lazy sellers use eBay's estimates for item price and shipping,  and conscientious sellers ignore eBay's advice and set up calculated shipping based on their actual package dimensions and weight.  The eBay shipping calculator defaults to charge buyers the retail price, so if you purchase your postage online, the discount usually covers the eBay fees and shipping supplies.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I need an accurate way to predict shipping. I'm 80+ and should retire but I need to sell dead items from my store. I need a profit. ... Thank you for any help.

Just make the adjustments when creating a shipping label.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@co-lektor 

Go to the shipping section and click "see all options" that you'll find on the right. Turn OFF "Autofill shipping details".

Once you do that you enter your own weight and dimensions.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Buy a small scale (that measures ounces and pounds) for $25 from Walmart and then weigh your items in a shipping box or envelope when you take your pictures. Enter that weight, size and selection of shipping container when you list your items.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you.

I'm ready to print a ship lable. There is no place to change EBAY'S charge of $7.60 for flat rate envelope to Priority med size box for a 5 pound item. HELP 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply