cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

#10 Envelope Does Not Work For Postcards -eBay Standard Envelope Issue

A retooled announcement about eBay Standard Envelope appeared on my Seller Hub today, saying a regular #10 envelope was perfect for this program. It might work for coins, but an antique postcard should never be sent in a #10 envelope unless it is protected with cardboard. When this program started I bought the small cardstock ebay branded mailers that eBay said would work for theIr standard envelope program. They are perfect for postcards, but my postmaster wasn’t amused. She won’t accept them unless I pay an additional 40 cents each for hand stamping. Anything with card board she deems too rigid. It seems like this is a detail that should have been ironed out before the program was released, because now the seller is caught in the middle. It’s a great discount, even with the limited tracking, but it’s useless to me if I can’t send my postcards protected. Sending in an envelope is just begging for NADS.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: #10 Envelope Does Not Work For Postcards -eBay Standard Envelope Issue

I've had one of about 900 get damaged . I use #6 3/4 i do use #10 on panoramic cards but not the Ebay Cardboard envelopes

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I reuse priority envelopes that are used...I cut them up and place them inside the envelopes. Envelope has to bend a little to get the .60 stamp for it to go through. Been lucky for years with no problem. I have had sent post cards this way also. Never had anything returned yet. And my buyers say items are well packaged in my feedback.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I realize you can encase the postcard in lightweight cardboard - although using Priority Mail supplies is against the USPS rules whether it's been used or not. Amd, I don't want to send postcards with stamps on them with no tracking, or send them in a #10 envelope with no extra protection. My postcards are all vintage or antique and the collectors who are my buyers are not amused with that kind of shipment. I had hoped that the eBay Standard Envelope would be a price conscious compromise, and it would be if the USPS would accept the mailer that eBay told us from the get go had been designed to work in this new program.  There was obviously some kind of breakdown in communication while they were working out the details, and the sellers are left in the middle. For me, at least $1.21 for 2 ounces and eBay's "tracking" is better than $3.50+ for FIrst Class package, but eBay shouldn't have photos showing the mailer in their advertising if they know that not all post offices are accepting them. And the fine print about checking with your post office just doesn't count - either it should work for everyone and they need to be clear that the new envelope is only valid if you are willing to send it in a non rigid mailer. I can live with my tracking percentages lagging with this program, but I would like to be able to use it as it was presented. I have several hundred estate postcards I'd like to start listing, but the thought of taking each one in to pay an additional 40 cents and get them hand stamped is not making me very enthusiastic about listing them - and my postmaster is going to be really grumpy about it.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I use unused greeting cards for shipping postcards (and coins). Always keeping an eye out for these at auctions, estate sales, local thrift, etc when out shopping, got a huge box for $5 the other day

Postcard is put in a plastic sleeve in the card and off it goes, never had a complaint. Remember we're talking $5-$10 cards, not museum pieces, I've sold single cards in the $100's and obviously would not ship that way

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

That's an interesting idea - assuming the card is within the size template of the eBay Standard Envelope, it might get through my postmaster's watchful eye. Many of the cards I sell push closer to the $20 limit, so while it's not the end of the world if I have to do a refund for damage, I'd certainly rather not. Usually, I buy estate lots and there will be that small minority in the $100s that cover the cost, then all the "nickel and dime" cards help sweeten the pot, so I want to make sure they arrive safely. It's a matter of wanting to present a professional shipment, as well.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I buy card stock paper which is the same as greeting card stock and fold to fit my needs. Using old greeting cards is a good way cut cost and make use of something that might otherwise get trashed.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply