cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Package returned "NO SUCH NUMBER"

So an inexpensive item I sold almost 2 weeks ago just came back with the yellow USPS sticker that reads: " Return to sender No such number. Unable to forward" .    I'm not cancelling for "problem with buyers address"  because I made that mistake before and the buyer got a full refund because I offer free shipping.  

I double-checked the address in Paypal and that's where I mailed it.   Tried googling and it showed a picture of a park!!!!   Should I just wait for the buyer to contact me or message them with their alternatives (pay to have it re-shipped or receive a refund less what it cost to ship and fees).   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You could issue a partial refund through PayPal. I would contact the buyer one time only and ask if they want you to reship to another address. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

You could issue a partial refund through PayPal. I would contact the buyer one time only and ask if they want you to reship to another address. 

I could do the partial through paypal, but couldn't the buyer also try to open a case on eBay and try to get another refund?  There was no tracking, but I have the returned mailpiece as proof. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Check the address at usps.com via "Look up a zip code." That will tell you if the address receives mail. You may find the numbers are transposed or missing a digit. Cross-check by specifying the street name (no house number), city, state and zip code. You'll see the possible numbers. If the house numbers have 5 digits and you have only 4 digits, there's the problem. You also can google the buyer's name, city and state to see what address pops up. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@shoptalkid wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

I could do the partial through paypal, but couldn't the buyer also try to open a case on eBay and try to get another refund?  There was no tracking, but I have the returned mailpiece as proof. 

They wouldn't get another refund unless you use "send money" to issue the refund. If you refund through the original payment transaction then if the buyer were able to open a case with eBay they would only get the remainder of their payment back. I don't think it's very likely that they will file a case after getting a partial.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:
Check the address at usps.com via "Look up a zip code." That will tell you if the address receives mail. You may find the numbers are transposed or missing a digit. Cross-check by specifying the street name (no house number), city, state and zip code. You'll see the possible numbers. If the house numbers have 5 digits and you have only 4 digits, there's the problem. You also can google the buyer's name, city and state to see what address pops up. ~~C~~

Regardless, if the buyer left out some digits or transposed them,  they are still responsible.    Here's the message that popped up after I plugged in the buyer's address on USPS.com:  

"The address you provided is not recognized by the US Postal Service as an address we serve. Mail sent to this address may be returned."

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@shoptalkid

I would do nothing at this point. Wait until there is an issue to address. 

I always check addresses before shipping, I want to make sure the address actually exists.

The buyer has lost Ebay protection. If this happened to me, I would put that buyer on my BBL immediately, and would not reship a package to them.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Don't do anything.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@shoptalkid wrote:

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

Regardless, if the buyer left out some digits or transposed them,  they are still responsible.    Here's the message that popped up after I plugged in the buyer's address on USPS.com:  

"The address you provided is not recognized by the US Postal Service as an address we serve. Mail sent to this address may be returned."

Correct. and some may disagree but it's not your job to investigate and try to figure out the correct address when you consider the fact that the buyer had you ship the item to a PARK! It could be they the person is homeless, you would think they would just use the PO address and get mail as general delivery but I'm sure many don't know they can do that. Your buyer may not be homeless. In my area there is quite an epidemic of homeless (for various reason, some are addicts, mentally ill, some believe it or not are complacent and happy living in tents and off handouts). I personally would think nothing of shipping to a park because of that but it could be a red flag or simple typo the buyer made in their address.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

The buyer has lost Ebay protection.

How so?  The package had no tracking.  The buyer could file an INR claim and win because the seller not only cannot prove delivery, he cannot even prove anything was shipped.  Without tracking there is no online proof that the package was undeliverable.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I would secure and store the package and contact the buyer advising of the situation.  I would then do nothing until I received a reply from the buyer.  The buyer's reply would determine how to next proceed.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

How so?  The package had no tracking.  The buyer could file an INR claim and win because the seller not only cannot prove delivery, he cannot even prove anything was shipped.  Without tracking there is no online proof that the package was undeliverable.

Where does OP say the package had no tracking???

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

In their first reply to you "           I could do the partial through paypal, but couldn't the buyer also try to open a case on eBay and try to get another refund?  There was no tracking, but I have the returned mailpiece as proof. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@muttlymob wrote:

Where does OP say the package had no tracking???

Their first reply.

OP, I would do nothing at this point. I'm guessing your non-tracking postage wasn't all that much. i would just wait to hear from the buyer.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@danmcntyr2 wrote:

In their first reply to you "           I could do the partial through paypal, but couldn't the buyer also try to open a case on eBay and try to get another refund?  There was no tracking, but I have the returned mailpiece as proof. 

Thank you! I didn't see that sentence 🙂

Message 15 of 17
latest reply