cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS fake tracking number

I won the bid for a treadmill. Paid for it through PayPal. I received a tracking number for UPS. I first contacted the seller about the location of the item. Listing says Arizona, but the tracking showed it shipping from Ohio. I also asked the seller why UPS was showing the package was only 3lbs. Treadmills weigh a lot more. I never received a reply from the seller. UPS tracking number shows the package was delivered. I was home all day. I did not get the package. I contacted UPS and they checked the tracking number. The shipping label showed a different name and address from mine. They could not tell me who or where it went because of policy. I contacted the seller about this problem. No reply. I then contacted eBay and asked for help getting my money back. Case was opened at that time. Seller did respond by saying the package was delivered to me at my address. I responded and told seller what UPS told me about the tracking number provided (I have the conversation with UPS in a screen shot) about the label not being for me. No reply. I sent one more message to the seller saying I want my treadmill or my money back. Again, no reply. I should have paid more attention to the little things when I bid on the item. Seller is located in Vietnam. Seller had just joined eBay 3 days prior to listing the item. Item showed located in Phoenix, AZ. I did ask seller about this before I ever got a tracking number. No reply. At this point, all I want is my money back.  I waited the 3 days that eBay requires. Contacted seller several times and still no reply. Asked eBay to step in and help.  Almost immediately I get an email saying case closed, no refund for you! Any suggestions about what my next step can be?  I’m pretty humiliated by falling for such a scam and then to have eBay slap me in the face too!  Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

UPS fake tracking number

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krhud0 wrote:

I won the bid for a treadmill. Paid for it through PayPal. I received a tracking number for UPS. I first contacted the seller about the location of the item. Listing says Arizona, but the tracking showed it shipping from Ohio. I also asked the seller why UPS was showing the package was only 3lbs. Treadmills weigh a lot more. I never received a reply from the seller. UPS tracking number shows the package was delivered. I was home all day. I did not get the package. I contacted UPS and they checked the tracking number. The shipping label showed a different name and address from mine. They could not tell me who or where it went because of policy. I contacted the seller about this problem. No reply. I then contacted eBay and asked for help getting my money back. Case was opened at that time. Seller did respond by saying the package was delivered to me at my address. I responded and told seller what UPS told me about the tracking number provided (I have the conversation with UPS in a screen shot) about the label not being for me. No reply. I sent one more message to the seller saying I want my treadmill or my money back. Again, no reply. I should have paid more attention to the little things when I bid on the item. Seller is located in Vietnam. Seller had just joined eBay 3 days prior to listing the item. Item showed located in Phoenix, AZ. I did ask seller about this before I ever got a tracking number. No reply. At this point, all I want is my money back.  I waited the 3 days that eBay requires. Contacted seller several times and still no reply. Asked eBay to step in and help.  Almost immediately I get an email saying case closed, no refund for you! Any suggestions about what my next step can be?  I’m pretty humiliated by falling for such a scam and then to have eBay slap me in the face too!  Thanks for any help.

Hi @krhud0, normally we would need documentation from the courier stating that this package was not sent to the address you provided at checkout - even when your name is not on the package and they cannot give details of the precise address/person it was sent to, confirmation that it was not sent to the address you gave can be obtained. That being said, I will ensure this appeal is reviewed and if documentation is needed specific steps will be provided to you via email. Keep an eye out for an update shortly.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

UPS fake tracking number

I am sorry this is happened to you! I would call eBay on the phone if I were to you. You can file an appeal with eBay, but it is best to have the appeal resolved on the phone, as you need someone to look at the actual information you provided not just what the fake tracking number shows. I hope it all works out for you. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

Thank you for replying.  I originally started the case on the phone with eBay.   I will call them again.  I have a feeling that I will be out of luck though. It seems the thieves have more rights.  The only proof I have is a screen shot of the live chat I had with UPS.  The guy clearly states that the mailing label for the tracking number I received was not my address and not my name.  Other than that, all I can provide is my suspicions.   I’m just wondering how someone can provide a tracking number through eBay, and PayPal as well, showing me that the package is on the way, but in reality the package is labeled for someone else.   I think UPS is my only way to prove I was scammed but they won’t provide who got the package.  Very frustrating!  

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

@krhud0 wrote:

Asked eBay to step in and help.  Almost immediately I get an email saying case closed, no refund for you! Any suggestions about what my next step can be?  I’m pretty humiliated by falling for such a scam and then to have eBay slap me in the face too!  Thanks for any help.

When you asked eBay to step in and help, it triggered some computer code to peruse the tracking information, and as soon as it saw "delivered", then it ruled in the seller's favor.

In these cases, you have to actually call up eBay and walk through the situation in order to get a refund.  If you have difficulty with eBay, you have two other avenues you can pursue for a refund (PayPal and your credit/debit card).

By the way, I think you are more likely dealing with a "drop-shipper" than a scammer.  When you order through a drop shipper, he goes over to Walmart or Dicks Sporting Goods, buys the treadmill at a lower price and then has it shipped to you ... that's right, you could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else.  My guess is that this drop-shipper attached the wrong tracking number to your order.   (eBay is trying to rid the site of drop shippers, by the way).

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

I will definitely be calling eBay tomorrow. I’m not sure about the drop shipping thing. UPS showed the package was only 3 lbs.  last I looked, the treadmill I wanted weighed 75 lbs at least.  The bid I won is half the price of what it sells in the stores as well. Yes, I was shocked that I won the item for cheap.  Item was listed as new in box.  If this was a legit transaction, one would think the seller would try to fix the mistake.  Seller got the money, I got nothing. Thank you for your feedback!  

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

It’s very strange! I have seen a few other people in the eBay community boards complaining that sellers are somehow producing tracking numbers to the buyer’s zip codes, but the packages aren’t addressed to the buyer or delivered to the buyer. Other buyers have also said that the package weight is no way enough to cover what was purchased. I don’t see how that is even possible to do. Providing that screenshot to eBay should be enough to get a refund. If not, you can file with PayPal and/or do a credit card chargeback.

I believe you will be refunded, but it will take time you shouldn’t have to invest. Again, I’m so sorry this happened!! 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

I also don’t think it is a drop shipping thing in this case. All signs point to scam. 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

@Anonymous Is the screenshot above sufficient evidence of a fraudulent tracking?  If not what does the buyer need from UPS?

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous Is the screenshot above sufficient evidence of a fraudulent tracking?  If not what does the buyer need from UPS?

?

@Anonymous wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous What documentation does the buyer need to get from USPS to prove that the item was delivered to a different address in the same zipcode? You've stated before that communications from the carrier can be used as evidence for false deliveries.

We would just need documentation that shows that the shipment in question was not delivered to the correct address. This needs to be on official company letterhead with a signature, date, and contact information for the location spoken to.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

So I need to go to the closest UPS office and get them to send a letter to eBay? 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krhud0 wrote:

Hi @krhud0, normally we would need documentation from the courier stating that this package was not sent to the address you provided at checkout - even when your name is not on the package and they cannot give details of the precise address/person it was sent to, confirmation that it was not sent to the address you gave can be obtained. That being said, I will ensure this appeal is reviewed and if documentation is needed specific steps will be provided to you via email. Keep an eye out for an update shortly.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

How much did you pay for the treadmill?

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

I paid $152.00.   eBay has reviewed the case again and is giving me a refund due to the seller not providing a valid proof of delivery. Thank you to everyone who replied and helped me with this!  Unfortunately I will be a bit leary about bidding on eBay for a while.  

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

Thank you so much!  

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

UPS fake tracking number

Same thing happened to me. I brought a 54" dog cage along with 18 other people, seller looks like China but said shipped out of Florida.  It was shipped from another state according to the tracking number but the package never came to me.  Went to another address in the same zip code and I was told my name was not on it.  I tried contacting the seller to no avail.  Negative reviews showed up regarding the seller doing the same to them around the time my package said it was delivered.  I put in a claim through PayPal and was immediately denied so I tried putting on into Ebay and was told since I had put one into Paypal that I had to call them and see why it was denied.  I called and explained what had happened and was told to go and get a print out and send to them that they reopened the case.  By the way the package only weighed 7lb .60 ounces which is not enough for a 54" dog cage.  

Message 15 of 20
latest reply