cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping calculator with Fedex

I usually sell small items that can ship 1st class mail but am planning on listing some larger, heavier items soon.  In the past I have used Fedex ground for the large heavy stuff.  I realize the price will vary based on location, home, business, etc.  If I list with the option to have the buyer calculate shipping costs before buying will ebay calculate it correctly with the Fedex option.  I will do my homework as far as size and weight of package before I list.  Previously I just did my own estimation and charged a flat rate but I want to be more accurate this time around. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I'm not really sure what your question is, but I'll say this:

You can use the eBay shipping calculator http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator to get FedEx shipping costs.

It produces the same prices* as the calculator in listings that buyers use, and accounts for any discounts you may be entitled to. It always produces accurate numbers for me (within a few cents - difference is due to FedEx fuel surcharges changing in the time between when I use the calculator to estimate and when an item actually sells - can be months)

In spite of the misinformation many post here about the eBay calculators and FedEx, the calculators DO incorporate Delivery Area Surcharges (DAS), Fuel Surcharges, and Residential surcharges. My billed amounts are always the same as calculated (with 1 exception 3 years ago that was likely due to a mis-weighing on the FedEx package conveyor).

However, you need to be familiar with how FedEx shipping works to avoid gotchas. The  eBay FedEx calculator is simplistic and doesn't handle all the possible surcharge situations like a FedEx Ground package that is 49" long and thereby incurs an $11 Additional Handling Surcharge.

You absolutely must download the FedEx Service Guide from the FedEx website (google for it to get a link to the pdf), and read and understand it - especially the 15 or so pages near the end of the document pertaining to "Fees and Other Shipping Information" - that is where the details are.

Search these forums for old threads pertaining to setting things up to get an eBay FedEx discount - it's worth it - to the tune of up to 25% for some shipments. It would be a good idea to have your own outside FedEx account also in case you are one of the unlucky ones that can't get billed correctly for FedEx through eBay.

*I think there may be a recent issue (starting this year) with the eBay calculators not handling FedEx shipments where dimensional weight is a large factor. I believe that eBay is incorrectly using last year's divisor in the dimensional weight calculations some or all of the time (dividing by 166 instead of 139 which is the current correct value). I started a thread about it a couple of weeks ago,  nobody seemed interested, and I have not had time to run tests/scenarios to obtain proof and a rationale for how it's failing. http://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/FedEx-Dimensional-Weight-Calculation-Error-in-eBay-Lab...

A way to get a handle on that issue is to use the eBay calculator to estimate an amount BEFORE listing an item (say to a zone 8 destination), manually calculate the base rate using the rates in the 2017 FedEx Service Guide, and compare them. If a large discrepancy, then work backwards and see if it is due to eBay calculating the wrong dimensional weight (too low because they used L x W x H / 166 instead of L x W x H / 139.) If so, be aware that your buyer will then be charged approx 10% -20% under the actual label cost and you will be eating that amount.

The eBay calculator referenced at the top of this post does not provide a breakdown of the FedEx amounts. If trying to compare rates calculated manually to what eBay is doing you need to fake up a shipment using the actual eBay labels page by selecting something from your sold items (but not yet delivered), choosing to create another label for the item, and changing the address, weight, size, shipper, etc to match your test criteria and see what it comes up with as an amount (FedEx transportation costs are broken down and can be accessed by clicking the little arrow next to the cost on the upper right). Then just cancel or close the page.

Another note: ALL packages shipped via FedEx and UPS are subject to dimensional weight now. There is no 1 cu-ft exemption like USPS has anymore. In most "normal" case for small packages that aren't full of nothing but air it isn't an issue, but a box with something like a cowboy hat in it is going to bite you if you aren't careful.

In summary, FedEx works well with eBay most of the time, but there can be some issues, you really can't treat it as total "easybutton" and assume pushing buttons blindly on eBay is going to get the result you think, you need to read the FedEx service guide, and learn that FedEx (and UPS) unlike USPS*, can have after shipment surcharges. That's why you need to read and understand the fees information in the guide.)

*USPS DOES have some after the fact surcharges - when the shipper screws up the input data (under weight or wrong mail class) the bill increases when "postage due" is assessed. Same idea for FedEx. Additionally some of the conditions that incur surcharges (too long etc) are not handled at all by eBay shipping calculator, and other (like a bad delivery address, a label that falls off or is damaged) are things that occur after shipping and can't be estimated beforehand.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Addendum:

1. Ignore the "not yet delivered" caveat on fudging a label for price testing from a sold item. It appears to be allowing it now (thought the "Print Another label" option diappeared from the menu before?)

2. The eBay shipping label page now seems to account for the FedEx $11 "Additional Handling Surcharge". I tried a test and input 49" x 6" x 6" for a ground package and there it was as it should be.

3. The eBay shipping label page now seems to account for the size parameter restrictions for Smartpost shipping (see  below). Pkgs over xx" etc incur a $2.75 "Non-machinable" surcharge which was also shown in the label cost breakdown when I input the same 49" x 6" x 6" parameters.

4. FedEx Smartpost DOES NOT care about dimensional weight. It does have other size restrictions that are critical. I can't find the forum post in which I delineated all that a few days ago (why it would have been disappeared is a mystery to me.). Anyone using FedEx Smartpost needs to download the Smartpost Rate Table and Fee Documents to not get "ripped off by eBay" because of not understanding the parameters of Smartpost shipping.

In short, it looks like the eBay label page is accounting for about every normal contingency a FedEx shipment might experience AT LABEL CREATION TIME like residential vs commercial, dimensional weight, Rural Destinations (Delivery Area Surcharges), long packages, etc.  Acts of god, wrong input weights or dimensions, damaged labels, bad delivery addresses, and other things incurring surcharges discovered during shipment can't be forseen or included in the estimate).

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Do you have any new insights on Fed Ex now that Fed Ex Smart Post does care about dimensional weight.  (Starting 1/21/2018).  I really have been paying attention to dimensional weight at all until I started noticing that my customers were paying less then me for Fed Ex Smart Post.  Now I'm worried about the Fed Ex calculator for any shipments, including FedEx ground.  Should I calculate dimensional weight using the FedEx dimensional weight calculator and put that weight into the custom weight of the eBay calculator or should I put the actual weight in that section.  When actual weight is used on a large item and I compare it to the FedEx website's cost for the same dimensions....it's a huge difference.  Right now I am using USPS parcel post for all my large items because their online click-n-ship costs are almost spot on with the eBay calculator.  However, the cost is pretty high to ship a lawn chair. Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks. Val

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

wrote:

4. FedEx Smartpost DOES NOT care about dimensional weight. It does have other size restrictions that are critical. I can't find the forum post in which I delineated all that a few days ago (why it would have been disappeared is a mystery to me.). Anyone using FedEx Smartpost needs to download the Smartpost Rate Table and Fee Documents to not get "ripped off by eBay" because of not understanding the parameters of Smartpost shipping.

This is inaccurate.  SmartPost now applies dimensional weight to every package.  

Here's the release from FedEx:

http://images.fedex.com/us/smartpostguide/pdf/FXSP_FeesOtherShipInfo_2018.pdf

If the dimensional weight exceeds the actual weight, charges may be assessed based on the dimensional weight. 

Dimensional Weight Dimensional weight is calculated by multiplying the length by width by height of each package in inches and dividing the total by 139. If the dimensional weight exceeds the actual weight, charges may be assessed based on the dimensional weight. If the chargeable weight of a FedEx SmartPost package exceeds 70 lbs. for applicable FedEx SmartPost services, separate published per-pound rates will apply. Package shape and dimensions may change during transit, which can affect the package’s dimensional weight and surcharge eligibility. If the dimensions change during transit, FedEx may make appropriate adjustments to the shipment charges at any time. Dimensions of one-half inch or greater are rounded up to the next whole number; dimensions less than one-half inch are rounded down. The final calculation is rounded up to the next whole pound.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

•This is inaccurate. SmartPost now
•applies dimensional weight to
•every package.

That statement was 100% accurate whe it was posted in May 2017.

It is no longer as you pointed out.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I am on my second package now that fedx has miscalculated the shipping costs (to the buyers) through the ebay calculated costs. I am not sure what to do! I am not changing any dimensions or weight. Both times the buyers have paid much lower then the actual cost I need to pay for the shipping label. 😞 help?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

There is a huge problem that started 1/21/18 with eBay FedeEx Smartpost shipping amounts shown to and charged to buyers.

Smartpost now is subject to dimensional weight considerations which cause the shipping weight to be much higher than actual in many cases. The label page calculator is correct*, but the calculator in search, listings, and checkout is not considering dim weight and is undercharging buyers. There is no fix at this time except to not use Smartpost.

*label amounts are not exactly correct as eBay is using the wrong dimensional weight divisor and not giving the promised full discount, but that is minor compared to the buyer undercharge, and a totally seperate issue.

There are many threads on the boards covering this, with explanations and calculations. Search the boards by date for posts by me with keyword Smartpost, FedEx, or dimensional for more info.

P.S. Someone PM'd me and said they badgered? eBay CS imto a credit for the screwup and buyer undercharge. I recommend you and others hound them, get credits, and light a fire under their azzes that way to get this fixed.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Hi,

I've just started computing dimensional weight to each box before listing and if that weight is more than actual weight I put that weight in the shipping calculator. This should even out the difference is price. 

ex.  box is 12x10x8 =960/139 = 6.9 lbs. Now add this weight in the calculator to see cost. If this is lower than usps then I'll ship fedex smart post. Please note exceptions on super large packages where they may add an addition charge of like $80 (happened to me) for some reason - this I'm still trying to figure out!!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@treasurechest*2010wrote:

Hi,

I've just started computing dimensional weight to each box before listing and if that weight is more than actual weight I put that weight in the shipping calculator. This should even out the difference is price. 

ex.  box is 12x10x8 =960/139 = 6.9 lbs. Now add this weight in the calculator to see cost. If this is lower than usps then I'll ship fedex smart post. Please note exceptions on super large packages where they may add an addition charge of like $80 (happened to me) for some reason - this I'm still trying to figure out!!

Please note that eBay negotiated a 166 divisor for 2018 on FedEx SmartPost instead of the 139.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thanks! I didn't see that!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

No problem.  Even the 166 doesn't help me, I can't ship via SmartPost anymore for most of my items.  USPS priority and FedEx Ground/Home are cheaper in almost every situation.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I had hoped the dust would settle on the Smart Post / eBay overcharge fiasco.  I have found that what the buyer pays for Smart Post is within $1 of the actual shipping price.  The "discount" does not actually afford the seller a true discount, it comes close to the price Fedex would charge for us walking into a store and paying the "at counter" price.  I am still offering Smart Post on items that are a bit cheaper on the farthest point away from where we live.  

Best thing you can do if you want to use Smart Post is to put "Smart Post Rates" into Google search, find the PDF file for 2018, print it out- you will see that it is broken into zones.  I use this for items that are under 12" x 12" x 12".  Anything larger, I use the package's LxWxD divided by 139.  The outcome of this is the dimensional weight.  I use this number against the sheet, using the farthest zone away to cover myself.  If Fed Ex or one of the USPS services is cheaper, I use that as my first option,  I am still including Smart Post as one of my options 90% of the time.  If Smart Post is my first offering and the buyer picks that, but one of the better services is cheaper, I "upgrade shipping".  

Since Smart Post is not insurable through USPS or Fedex, I use 3rd party insurance to cover items I am not willing to take a damage or loss claim for.  Shipsurance is the company I use.

I have started putting "please see description and photos - click the shipping tab to see all our offerings...." in the condition line - hoping that when a price is too high for a buyer, they might see a better option.  So many people are buying on their phones now, and it is a challenge for most of them to see a full description or shipping options...if the condition line is overly long, "read more" comes up, which when clicked on brings the whole description and tabs up.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply