cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund after postage due? Seller sent wrong item!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Refund after postage due? Seller sent wrong item!

@ebaaydave   Postage due is one of the few reasons you can refuse the package and still file a MBG refund request.

It sounds like you paid the postage so you'll have to work that out with the seller. 

eBay can only make the seller refund you for the original sale amount that you paid.

You need to file a not as described refund request.  Doesn't match pictures or description.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041

The seller pays return shipping and refunds you what you paid at time of sale. 

This is a posting ID
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Ran out of time trying edit....

I bought a small automotive part that was listed by the correct part number and with two pictures, one the correct part and another a line drawing of a license plate frame(?). I received a large Priority Mail package with postage due that I didn't recognize and refused delivery. This was from an automotive dealership parts department.

Now, I've figured out that they sent the large line drawing item, NOT the correct part by its number. The package is tracking back across the country. What would be workable way to get a refund? What do I NOT want to ask for or explain?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If it arrived Postage Due and you marked it 'RTS' and it was returned to the seller, the seller will owe you a full refund. No additional explanation is required. Good luck.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I did NOT pay the postage but I have no way to prove that the wrong item was sent.  That was probably why postage was due.  Also not sure how to prove that postage was due - tracking just states "refused delivery".

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

What type of "reason for return" should I ask for?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@ebaaydave   You need to file a refund request.... I think it's not received but let me tag staff to be sure.  Then you would need to provide documentation either in the tracking details OR in the note from the post office that says it arrived postage due.

brittanie@ebay   

tyler@ebay 

brian@ebay 

Comicstwo is my hubby and he is great on many questions but some issues like this stump both of us.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Hey @comics-scifi-collectibles The buyer would want to open a return request for 'Item not as described' because shipping costs would be part of the terms of the sale. Your husband had it right. 😁

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

What type of "reason for return" should I ask for?

@ebaaydave 

Well, I didn't think you should open a Return... you don't have an item to return. The shipper has an item they're returning.

When @comics-scifi-collectibles suggests a "refund request"... I think that's exactly what it should be.

brittanie@ebay ... The OP has nothing to return. Are you sure a 'Return Request' is what the OP must file?

I think I'm thinking the wife has it right in this case. LOL

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@ebaaydave 

I would file using the reason doesn't match pictures or description since Brittanie said that hubby is right and shipping is part of the "description" or terms of the listing.  

I have a feeling that it will be one of those cases where CS will need to be contacted directly before it's over.    Just be sure to keep your proof that postage was due as you may need to share that with eBay if the reason for refusing the package is not on the tracking details.    

You should be able to get an official note from the post office stating that postage was due.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 - The item was delivered to them, so they can't file an 'Item not received' claim, even if they refused the delivery. This falls under our return reasons. There's a couple use cases where a return is the appropriate case type even if the person technically has nothing to return, such as when they receive an empty package, because there was 'delivery'. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 11 of 11
latest reply