cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on insurance.

Hi,

I have been away from ebay for quite awhile.  My question is for advice on insurance for expensive items of more than 2k for which I would be unwilling to just absorb the loss.

I live in CA, and the insurance company eBay suggests is not licenced in my state.  From reading posts, I'm starting to get the vibe that high dollar insured items through USPS are like putting a "steal me" sign on them.  So, what do you all use?  Is FedEx any better?  Are there responsible 3rd party insurers that may be used on a case by case basis?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

P.S. I'm expecting to get several comments saying that I shouldn't sell anything I'm unwilling to lose.  Maybe so, and maybe I'm being naive expecting businesses to actually provide the service I pay for, but let's set that aside.  I'm really looking for actual, practical advice.  🙂

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

How would insurance protect you?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Ive sold many highly insured items thru the years on Ebay..why would that indicate 'steal me'? The insurance amount doesnt show on the package..i cant say Ive ever had a problem with theft with those. I think Id be more worried about scamming buyers who will file a snad, and send you back a rock..Id be more inclined to sell the item as local pickup, cash only..Ive had many of those too with  absolutely no problems.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

"Id be more inclined to sell the item as local pickup, cash only"

How would you do that?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

If you're selling a $5,000+ item and the buyer won't spend $100-200 on a place ticket to pick it up, they're not too serious or just want to scam you.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Depends on what you are selling.

You selling tech, collectibles, jewlery?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yes, I'm selling tech.  Generally, I'm selling off my personal camera equipment that I am no longer using.

As to why I think high ticket insured items through USPS have a "steal me" sign on them, that impression comes from several seller stories I've read.  In addition to that, it would appear that USPS does their best not to honor the service they sell.

The idea of local pick up/plane ticket is intriguing, but I am one of those people who will pay several thousand for a camera body, and there is no way in hell I would fly to pick it up.   Because...you know...real life and time and...   🙂

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@indigosouls wrote:

The idea of local pick up/plane ticket is intriguing, but I am one of those people who will pay several thousand for a camera body, and there is no way in hell I would fly to pick it up.   Because...you know...real life and time and...   🙂

But you would trust the description from a total stranger to be 100% truthful and send thousands before looking at it? You don't have to go yourself, send your kid, a relative, friend etc. to pick up. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Actually, I've never purchased used camera equipment, so the strangers I trust are well known online or b/m stores.  I am also very particular with my gear and like to start out new.  That's probably a terrible thing to say as an occassional eBay seller, but there you go.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Well that's a completely different scenario if you are buying new equipment which comes with factory warranties. Not much to worry about there.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply