cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a minimum size for shipping labels in general for USPS, FedEx and UPS?

I have a brand new Dymo Label Writer 450 that hasn't been used. I use sticky sheets that go in the printer for my shipping labels. The label printer only supports a max size of 2 5/16" wide. Obviously, the length can be whatever since it comes in a roll. The biggest standard label is currently 2-5/16" x 7-1/2", but of course that's absurdly long and unnecessary.

Just wondering what the rules are for shipping with USPS/UPS/FedEx regarding smaller labels. Is there any issue with using this not being 4" wide like most label printers? I used to have an older Zebra printer that printed 4" wide, but I have never dealt with a smaller size and was wondering what the procedure is. It mentions "shipping labels" being printed on it, but that's kind of small.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Placing a mailing label on smaller packaging that has been reduced below its intended size may create distortions resulting in processing errors, unreadable barcodes and other readability issues.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The Dymo 450 supports the 99019 (2.3x7.5) labels for USPS shipping from ebay/paypal.  While the Dymo 4XL or your Zebra printer can use the 4" x 6" labels for USPS, UPS, or FedEx.

These are the standard size labels for USA carriers.  What size package are you shipping, and by what carrier?  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I ship large padded envelopes, USPS flat rate boxes, UPS (non-flat rate and customer packed) packages and also FedEx every now and then.

I should have worded that better, but I'm basically asking if USPS, UPS and FedEx will accept the 2.3 wide labels instead of say, the typical 4". Just trying to decide whether to keep this label printer and use it for my actual shipments (instead of using the laser printer with sheets of peel and stick labels) or sell it and get a 4" wide label printer.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The 2.3" is only useful for USPS, not FedEx or UPS.  The larger 4" x 6" label can be used for all carriers.

Suggest you look at the Dymo 4XL, which is reasonably priced compared to a Zebra, plus higher resolution and speed.  It prints the 4x6 plus all other sizes including the 2.3 label, address, labels, stamps, etc.  You can even print the ebay/papyal packing slip on the 4x6 label.

You might want to also keep the 450, just for smaller label needs, like return, product, or address only labels, or even just postage stamp printing.

Good deals for compatible Dymo labels here on ebay, but look for USA made approved labels.  Many cheap imports cause problems and wear the print heads out faster.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

USPS has a published guide with the gory details here: https://ribbs.usps.gov/barcode_cert/documents/tech_guides/ParcelLabelingGuide.pdf

It is from 2014, but I believe has not been superceded and is still applicable (I suspect FedEx and UPS have similar standards somewhere - probably in information for delelopers somewhere).

It's worth taking a look at. Pretty much specifies minimum dimensions for the various label features. For example, the service icon block on the label (the big P or F letter in the 1" block on the upper left of labels) must be a minimum 3/4" high. The IMpb barcode at teh bottom must also be a min 3/4" high. etc

Having said that....
As you shrink the barcode the odds of failed reads will increase. Additionally if you shrink too much the delivery address can become difficult to read and misdeliveries could occur.

In spite of that document being very specific about dimensions of all the label components, in practice USPS lets a lot slide. I would say that 80% of nominal would be about the reasonable limit.

I don't think shrinking a 4" label to 2.3" is going to fly - addresses would be unreadable and barcodes might not scan at that shrinkage level.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply