cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer trying to scam me

Hi, I'm new here to the forum, but have been a long tim ebay seller. So here's what is going on. i sold a Vintage Preamp circa 1968 back on August 30th. My listing clearly states that all items are sold AS IS with no returns, but that the item is guranteed to be working as described upon arrival to the new owner. This person had the item for two weeks, and then he contacted me stating that one of the controls is a "little scratchy" and asked for a repair estimate. he was obviously expecting me to offer up some kind of partial refund....... Well, because this piece is over 50 years old, and it's a known fact that some noise might appear in a control over time, i looked at what type of items he sells (he has over a 12,000 100% feedback) to see if he deals in vintage audio. If he did, that would mean that he is definitly aware of this. Well guess what? there was my preamp up for sale, and in his description it stated that it works perfectly and that he had been using it with his system for a long time. He stated it's 100% perfect.  I decided that i didn't want him to know that I knew he's a scammer, so i just told him that the item is very old and a slight bit of noise in a control is to be expected and that some contact cleaner would clear it right up. Well, Just like i thought, he opened up a return today thinking that I will send him a partial refund so that i don't lose my shipping money in both directions.. I contacted ebay with all of the info, and they have it all documented. My question is here, am i right for not letting him know I'm on to him? Ebay has all of the info, Item numbers, proof that the item he has is mine due to the serial number etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Buyer trying to scam me

@smfins013 wrote:

Hi, I'm new here to the forum, but have been a long tim ebay seller. So here's what is going on. i sold a Vintage Preamp circa 1968 back on August 30th. My listing clearly states that all items are sold AS IS with no returns, but that the item is guranteed to be working as described upon arrival to the new owner. This person had the item for two weeks, and then he contacted me stating that one of the controls is a "little scratchy" and asked for a repair estimate. he was obviously expecting me to offer up some kind of partial refund....... Well, because this piece is over 50 years old, and it's a known fact that some noise might appear in a control over time, i looked at what type of items he sells (he has over a 12,000 100% feedback) to see if he deals in vintage audio. If he did, that would mean that he is definitly aware of this. Well guess what? there was my preamp up for sale, and in his description it stated that it works perfectly and that he had been using it with his system for a long time. He stated it's 100% perfect.  I decided that i didn't want him to know that I knew he's a scammer, so i just told him that the item is very old and a slight bit of noise in a control is to be expected and that some contact cleaner would clear it right up. Well, Just like i thought, he opened up a return today thinking that I will send him a partial refund so that i don't lose my shipping money in both directions.. I contacted ebay with all of the info, and they have it all documented. My question is here, am i right for not letting him know I'm on to him? Ebay has all of the info, Item numbers, proof that the item he has is mine due to the serial number etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

This one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-C-26-Preamp-in-Mcintosh-Box-Very-Nice-W-owners-manual-Service-manua...

Your description says, It functions as it should and sounds great. But here you say it has a slight bit of noise. I wouldn't call any amount of noise as sounding great and if the buyer were to open up the amp to as you  say, use some contact cleaner, he would lose his rights because he would have altered the item. Ebay doesn't care if you let him know anything. This is a clear case of SNAD and you will have to refund if he wants to return it. No such thing as AS IS or NO RETURNS on Ebay.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Buyer trying to scam me

@smfins013 wrote:

...My question is here, am i right for not letting him know I'm on to him? Ebay has all of the info, Item numbers, proof that the item he has is mine due to the serial number etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

Well, I'm going to assume it's the "Vintage Mcintosh C-26 pre-amplfier". Making any statements to the buyer is a waste of time however, you make it sound like you have him over a barrel when in reality, he has you over one.

I'm also going to assume the buyer opened a SNAD return. You don't offer returns as a seller, that's a plus. You're going to have to make a decision, do NOT let the case timeout or ask eBay to "Step In" (aka "help you). That is sudden death for sellers.

I know a LOT about vintage electronics and one of the most common problems "back in the day" were noisy pots and tuners. That's why every tech had a can of "Blue Showers" contact cleaner (hard to find something that good now a days because of all the cancer causing chemicals), but I digress.

With a SNAD claim, you have 3 choices, 1.) Refund and let the buyer keep the item (not a great choice for most sellers, China sellers use this one a lot), 2.) Pay for return shipping and upon return, refund (not really a great choice for heavy items like this item) or 3.) Offer a partial refund (this is non-binding but at least its a response in eBay's eye's and you don't risk the loss of the item AND the money).

Most sellers refuse to offer partials, and I understand why but there is a practical point to this in that it's going to cost you at least $30 to get this thing back (plus, your already out the $30 on the original shipping). I would offer a partial of say $50 and see if they bite myself (but that me, I look at everything in all cases). You have 3 days to fight this, I would fight it. Get on the phone with eBay and show them he is a reseller, selling your item and that since he can't easily resell it he want's to return it on your dime. You have to know that there is nothing wrong (within eBay rules) with what he is doing, so that call will most likely fall of deaf ears, thus is why I suggested the partial.

You might want to read up on SNAD claims on how to fight them. I had a 20 some odd page post back in Nov 2016 on one that went into details. Just click on my name, put "SNAD box" in the search box (without the quotes) and pick the top post. I recommend you read ALL of it.

Remembercthe rules:
1. EBay CS Rep's are less then knowledgeable (i.e. don’t trust what they say)
2. Do NOT let a case Timeout
3. Do NOT ask eBay to "Step in" (aka “help you” aka escalate)
4. ALWAYS get the reference number of the phone call, mark down the date and time
5. If the eBay CS Rep claims to have put notes in the case, have them emailed to you.
6. Never escalate a case unless you can get eBay to close it in your favor right then and there.

Good Luck

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Buyer trying to scam me

I really appreciate the response. As for the item "having scratchiness  in the controls" Thats just his way of trying to get me to send them some money. While contacting me, the item was still listed for sale stating that it works perfectly, which it did. I will go and read the info that you directed me to. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Buyer trying to scam me

@smfins013 wrote:

I really appreciate the response. As for the item "having scratchiness  in the controls" Thats just his way of trying to get me to send them some money....

Of course it is, welcome to eBay. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply