cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opt out of Badges and Ranking Nicknames

The gamificaition of the community may appeal to some folks.   eBay could so some research to see if it does.  They probably didn't.    We know they accept it as a "best practice," but I'd like to see the research on who is motivated by such tools, who's indifferent, and who thinks it's just a distraction.

I might go for some SIMPLE ranking scheme for members with 3 levels:  Novice,  Member, Expert.   All the silly names have absolutely no meaning or value or incentive for members.  3 labels that have actual meaning in English would convey what eBay intends. Instead they have 10 that just confuse people.

But for those of us who are adults, we can do without the bevy of silly badges and notifications and the meaninless ranking nicknames.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Yes - but that has all been said before, and ebay employees seem to really be attached to the current ranks, though they could and indeed might change them at any time.   So, good ideas; but don't get your hopes up.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

doug@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi @grilled and @all_fakes. Thanks for the feedback and perspective, especially from @grilled as you're new to the community. We like new perspectives.

We did research badging, recognition and "gamification," and continue to keep up on the latest research and trends. Lithium is a top community provider, and has been for years. I don't like the term "gamification" but the concepts are a part of communities, and go beyond communities and even into social media. I don't think there would be social media without its beginnings in online communities. Every online community I've seen uses gamification and has done so even before it was a formalized and coined concept. Gamification to me includes user profiles, avatars, leaderboards, ranks, post counts, recognition, and social communication.

Badging and recognition are going to remain features of our community. We're open to suggestions, improvement, and evolution and have talked about reworking the naming of the roles and badges. 

We'll definitely keep the community in the loop.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

@grilled wrote:

The gamificaition of the community may appeal to some folks.   eBay could so some research to see if it does.  They probably didn't.    We know they accept it as a "best practice," but I'd like to see the research on who is motivated by such tools, who's indifferent, and who thinks it's just a distraction.

I might go for some SIMPLE ranking scheme for members with 3 levels:  Novice,  Member, Expert.   All the silly names have absolutely no meaning or value or incentive for members.  3 labels that have actual meaning in English would convey what eBay intends. Instead they have 10 that just confuse people.

But for those of us who are adults, we can do without the bevy of silly badges and notifications and the meaninless ranking nicknames.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Badges! We don't need no stinking Badges!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

FWIW, some people think the names and badges are funny, and kind of enjoy them (ie me).  🙂

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

doug@ebaywrote:

We did research badging, recognition and "gamification," and continue to keep up on the latest research and trends. Lithium is a top community provider, and has been for years.

Old thread got bumped, but I've never seen this post.

Again, no mention of when, where or how this 'research' was done or who was invloved.  'Badging' of the type used here is extremely limited and ranks are usually something far more limited and site appriopriate.

I've been on dozens, maybe a couple of hundred boards all across the web over the last 20 years or so and have never heard of that company before this set of boards.

I maintain that these boards should be installed and operated on corporate owned servers and administered in house.  You would have far more latitude and flexibility and could initiate a secure section for real-time Customer Service.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

With all due respect to those who may participate on many Boards, it would seem there are many more Boards out there.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

OP, many don't care for the title designations and badges but they just let it go.

Nothing anyone does is going to appeal to everyone, nor is it going to have the same relevance to everyone.

I am sorry you are so unhappy with it, but it is what it is.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I love it!! I haven't laughed this hard all week. I admire your cynicism and also agree with the point you made
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@grilledwrote:

grilled, with a post like that you truly are a Thrill-Seeker.

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 10 of 10
latest reply