cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking private messages

I would like to suggest a change to the boards—

I think that if a member chooses to turn OFF their private messages, they should not be allowed to send them. Or maybe that’s already how it works? Maybe these trolls are sending the messages and then immediately turning theirs off? If that’s the case then, if they send a message and then turn OFF their private messages, the recipient should be able to respond back. 

or maybe we could get a setting that allows us to receive messages from only specific members? I don’t want to have to turn off PMs entirely. The private messaging system shouldn’t give others free reign to harass others. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

That all sounds quite reasonable.

What happened to the Private Messaging blocklist? It is gone from community settings. Didi I miss another memo?
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Having greater controls over PMs is definitely something I'd like to see. I'll make the suggestion to Lithium and see if they have any PM updates on the horizon. 

If you do receive any abusive PMs, please report them immediately, and our moderation team will take appropriate action on the sender. 

Thank you, @missjen831

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you very much Alan 🙂

Berserker, I may have overlooked something but all I see is the ability to "ignore" users which is handy but not enough IMO. I have gotten a few PMs from brand new posting IDs, it kind of hard to "ignore" user IDs you don't know exist haha! I do chat with a few boardies regularly and it would be great if we could create an approved users list & allow only those users & the mods to PM us.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Great suggestion too on the list! 🙂

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missjen831 wrote: it would be great if we could create an approved users list & allow only those users & the mods to PM us.

With a "request" option if someone new wants to PM?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@missjen831 wrote: it would be great if we could create an approved users list & allow only those users & the mods to PM us.

With a "request" option if someone new wants to PM?

YES. great idea!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

We had to call ebay not to long ago, with this problem. We have three stores a potential buyer contacted us in one of our stores. This was the first message when he contacted us he stated our description stated we would combine shipping but it would not let him do that. So we asked him nicely please let us know which items you are interested in and we will combine shipping for those items. He just kept asking us to change our settings never would tell us which items he was interested in. In the fourth message he stated he needed us to fix the setting and be more friendlier we send only very helpful messages thanking him but after that message we thanked him for being interested in our items but we were not interested in doing business with him. So at this point we blocked him because nothing good could have come out of this sale, we have never done business with a buyer who started out like this with us. We learned from the forum it is better to block buyers like these. His messages still kept coming through even that he was blocked and we never had a transaction. So we called ebay they took care of it right away. We were Thankful for that.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply