cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sued for patent infringement, need suggestions please

Hi all.  I recevied a lawsuit for patent infringement. It appears to be real and I have contacted the law office and explained that I am a small reseller. They are offering to settle for $1500.  I purchased this item at an amazon bin store, it is a small item worth $8.  I did not sell it.  All they have is a screen shot of the item for sale from ebay and have locked my paypal account. As stated this item was purchased at a bin store with amazon products, it has an amazon label and still scans from the amazon app. I know assuming it is legit from amazon is no excuse but I bought it at a store. Note that this item was never sold by my, I still have it, it was pulled by ebay under vero with a note that a lawsuit had been filed.  I only had one and explained this to the law firm. The item was also listed as unbranded and did not claim to be of any brand. Have seen a few cases like this where after explaining the law firm dropped the seller from the lawsuit.   At this point I feel like I am being scammed by the law firm for money.  Would appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: sued for patent infringement, need suggestions please

There is status hearing on March 7th. My PayPal account is still limited. I have very little money in that account so it’s not a big inconvenience for me. I’ve tried contacting and emailing the law firm so many times they don’t respond. The only email I got from them was payment and I only had two days to do this. Since then I got no response back from them. Their law firm never answers the phone or email.

How did you get dismissed? To what I understand those that were dismissed had to pay. But that’s not good if you paid but your account is still limited. 

I’ve tried mentioning to them I don’t live or have a store in China I am an American citizen and I don’t live in Chicago. I also never sold any items in the lawsuit. I tried telling them a similar case that was dismissed on the premise of ‘ personal jurisdiction’. That mentions if I’ve never sold anything to or from Chicago I shouldn’t be a part of this lawsuit. 
That was the latest email I sent them. Still no response. 

Message 91 of 97
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

This sounds very suspect to me, but maybe I'm not understanding. You got this item from an Amazon bin store and had listed but not sold it due to a VERO take-down, and now this law firm says you're off the hook for $1500?  Yeah, no I would not give them a cent.

Same, I would just ignore it and wait for them to come to me...

Message 92 of 97
latest reply

Same, I would just ignore it and wait for them to come to me...

@magicjohnsonsvariety 

Actually, they already did "come to the OP".  Victims of this new "cottage industry" have their payment accounts frozen by eBay or PayPal as he case may be.  

Message 93 of 97
latest reply

If you do get a court order summons do answer it and do make your appearance and file with the court I would advise. What this firm could collect a default judgement against you which if you check pacer.gov they have collected almost $50k from people in other lawsuits.  Once you file and you can appear virtually or by phone to state the case the against you. 

Message 94 of 97
latest reply

If you are selling anything from another country do verify there is a patent, copyright or trademark of the product being sold 

Message 95 of 97
latest reply

@jonathan.s.tan wrote:

If you do get a court order summons do answer it and do make your appearance and file with the court I would advise. What this firm could collect a default judgement against you which if you check pacer.gov they have collected almost $50k from people in other lawsuits.  Once you file and you can appear virtually or by phone to state the case the against you. 

I didn't mean ignore a court ordered summons...what the OP received is not an order to appear in court.

Message 96 of 97
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 97 of 97
latest reply