cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

since when did ebay enable search by image

well well.  I don't use my mobile app often.  just noticed that ebay now offers search by image.

This will completely decimate a large majority of resellers.   I'm scared to even ask if buyers can add keywords to their image search results.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: since when did ebay enable search by image

A quick search turns up references to image search in the app going back as far as 2017.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@lasantino wrote:

This will completely decimate a large majority of resellers.

Why? Every eBay listing has images of what is being sold.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

oh  gosh,,  I guess i just never have seen the option before.  I used to use my phone extensively when sourcing items.  I never had the option right within ebay search bar to just push the camera icon and search ebay.  I guess I didn't notice it.

Thanks for clarifying.   

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@lasantino 

since when did ebay enable search by image?

I found this eBay announcement from 2017:

An Easier Way to Search eBay: Computer Vision with Find It On eBay and Image Search Is Now Live (eba...

eBay has removed and then returned the feature in the past. I remember it being there in the past.  I remember it did go away (because of glitches) and then come back within the past year or two.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Is why they are trying to get you to remove the background (making background solid white). And making your pics look like bad photoshop. 
I feel this also has quite a bit to do with what is shown from normal word searches also. If you have several really similar items such as a 97 5.9L engine block, 99 5.9L engine block, 2003 5.9L engine block.  All "should" show in a vague search.   
They are all different, yet have an extremely "same" appearance in a photo.  And ALL will not be seen in a search that common sense says they should.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@lasantino 

This will completely decimate a large majority of resellers

Why? 

I have been using it for years to search items I can't readily identify. Google search can also search images and seams more accurate (it works to identify plants and many other things as well as collectibles etc.).  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I think it will negatively affect any pricing power that good sellers may still have.   

Not all sellers are good at listing with accurate , thorough keywords.  Nor do all sellers take good pictures or write detailed accurate descriptions.  

If i'm a buyer looking for something. I will then just find the item i'm looking for, then do an image search via ebay and see who else is selling it.   For sellers who don't take the time to make appealing listings, buyers won't care. As long as they are getting the same item at the lowest price.    

Buyers know that they can always return something if they don't like it.  So there is really no risk in buying an something from a seller who has less than ideal pics or lighting or little to no description.  As long as I find some seller who has the item i want and that seller took the time to take great pictures and list specs.  I can then do an image search,  verify that the item is the same and purchase for the cheapest price. 

I'm having a long day, I may not have explained this clearly.   Basically,  image search allows buyers to use an image from a great listing (and priced higher)  to find the same item cheaper.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

The search by image is old news, like 6 years ago. 

I would be willing to wager money that it is a feature overwhelmingly used by sellers and not buyers.

The seller with the cheapest price almost always gets the sale anyway.

Also, any really cunning buyer is going to be searching from a web browser and not the ebay app anyway.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@lasantino 

What do you think people are doing with their phones at thrift shops, Googling and eBaying with the images, there are more image searches on other sites too.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Me, me, me. I use it all the time. It's easier to find things quickly and see what pricing / selling numbers are like for that particular product.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply