cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shouldn't the item match the photo?

this has always been a bone of contention so for the most part i have learned to read item descriptions.

But when the item is quite specific in appearance and color you would think the photo should be what you bid on.

I buy a LOT of colored glass micro beads and have been very grateful to get them cheaply at auction 

Most of the sellers have sent exactly what i won in the photo 

but i bid on quite a few from a seller that are arriving in colors not shown, most of them are close in color but some are blatantly not. i am getting quite a few dark brown..... a color they probably have in excess since it's unpopular. And now upon reading the descriptions i see ORANGE as the color being offered (not one so far has been orange) The second most unpopular color.

i know i can return them but the very low price makes it just so much cheaper to keep them

So Really what my point is are there some sort of criteria regarding item photos being examples of the product one should expect to recieve?

here is a screenshot of examples

please don't chastise me for not reading each and every description , that is a MIBAD given.

and NO the seller offers no other info like "seller chooses color based on available stock" ... or other caviats of that nature .

thank you for any time and input you have afforded my situation

I would cry but drinking is a lot more subtle.
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: shouldn't the item match the photo?

The short answer (without blaming the buyer) is YES, what you see, should be what you get!! Sometimes colors on your screen can vary slightly, but not to an entirely different color.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

My question to you - if the items continue to come different from the photos why do you keep purchasing from this seller?

Is he photoshopping the photos to make the beads look a better color.   I had a seller do that to me on diamond, but it was one and done, I would ne er buy from him again.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

The simple solution is to quit buying from CHINA.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

The short answer (without blaming the buyer) is YES, what you see, should be what you get!! Sometimes colors on your screen can vary slightly, but not to an entirely different color.
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

To my understanding, MBG doesn't cover colors (or is it color shades). I've had a few run ins with buyers who file regarding color. I remember one time a buyer complained they bought Aqua but they received Blue-Green. That's another problem too is that many people don't know the exact name of a color and is often mistaken. One person's Tan is another person's Beige.

PS. The 10 year old inside of me cracked up at the awesome photo cropping job you did on your first photo. What kind of micro beads are they again? Smiley Very Happy I don't wanna know what you use them for.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

It appears to me that you are buying from Asian sellers.  They are the only ones that can sell these types of beads so cheaply.  Part of that is because their colors don't stay true to what they advertise.  The quality may not be there as well.  I happen to sell beads.  I don' t sell my undrilled micro beads for anywhere near the cheap price as the Asian sellers, but I'm bet my quality and colors are better.  You get what you pay for is a great saying.  

Sometimes when you choose to go the lesser expensive route it works out well and sometimes it doesn't.  You just need to be willing to accept the good with the bad.

Pics are meant to enhance a listing.  They are not to be used as a substitue for a good description.  I don't know why a seller would use pics as you suggest.  Heck many of the sellers of these types of beads pirated my pics.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Yes, the picture should match the item being sold, but the buyer should read the description in which the color is clearly indicated. 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Yes, the picture should be of the actual item you are getting, but that doesn't mean it happens. It's also the buyer's responsibility to read the listing. However, you stated that you aren't even getting orange beads, so if you do want to return I'd say you do have a SNAD on your hands. I am sure the seller will have plenty of complaints doing business the way they are. If they are in China, it's a crapshoot if eBay will sanction them at all. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

To my understanding, MBG doesn't cover colors (or is it color shades). I've had a few run ins with buyers who file regarding color. I remember one time a buyer complained they bought Aqua but they received Blue-Green. That's another problem too is that many people don't know the exact name of a color and is often mistaken. One person's Tan is another person's Beige.

PS. The 10 year old inside of me cracked up at the awesome photo cropping job you did on your first photo. What kind of micro beads are they again? Smiley Very Happy I don't wanna know what you use them for.

It doesn't cover variations in color - for example, if the listing says tan and the item is beige. It does, however, cover a different color entirely - if the listing says orange and the item is blue.

However...if the listing photo shows blue, if the title says blue, but the item specifics say orange...what color are you really buying??

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

If the seller was just using one picture for all of their listings, I would probably cut them some slack, but since they do have pictures of multiple different colors, I would expect them to color match the photo to the listing.  Even if they don't have a picture of a certain color, they could easily use some free photo editing software to alter the color to get a close match.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

As a seller how would you feel if you sold a gray item, described it as a gray item and the pictures 100% looked like a gray item but the buyer filed a defective claim saying he thought it would be beige ......and THEN...ebay FORCES you to take it back after 4 hours on the phone with CS........O what a feeling!!

BUT back to your case.... yes that would tick me off it was an entirely different color

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

thank you 

it is so tiring to come here for simple answers and solutions only to find replies from folks overlording their morals on me. i am so busy even this little post was a time stealer. I can't imagine the time it takes looking for posts just for ego building excercises.

but hey ... what ever one needs to make life gratifyingly.

now let's see how many more moralistic responses this gets 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

too bad because I am telling you since your reply has some interesting assumptions 

the pearls are not micro beads 

everything else on the crown is

they are beds .JPGso small they are undefineable

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

thanks
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

i have ordered from the USA and gotten the very same beads in the exact same packaging (with the cloud design )
When I contacted the seller, she told me ALL these beads are made in China unless i can find someone who actually makes them themselves and the advantage of buying U.S. is to honor that code and of course get the product faster.

But funny story on that

Last November I ordered green hair for a Grinch doll from treycupcakes because I needed it immediately, even though ordering from China would be a fraction of the cost.
The hair never came and the seller said i may have misplaced it since it came in a small envelope so I figured she was probably right and sent the doll out with white hair instead.

A week ago, Sept. 24, I received an envelope with green hair from Smiles Amazing Hair Bows and didn't know when I even ordered it (forgetting last year). I contacted them trying to find out if I got someone else's order then noticed the date stamp was November 2017.

Yes her name back then was SmilesAmazingHairBows.
And yes, it was in fact my missing order, 10 months late.
But of course, generally ordering from the U.S. is faster

i do have a handful of Chinese sellers i have come to rely on with products unique to them and with outstanding service.
But for the most part a larger proportion of Chinese sellers have been disappointing scammers. My industry, Reborn Dolls has had a constant fight with their stealing sculpts or selling high end dolls for a pittance they have no intention of sending,

But the saddest thing has been American artists emulating their sales techniques by claiming their dolls are silicone when they are not just to charge a higher price (an actual silicone reborn sells in excess of $1000). We have been fighting with eBay to stop the misuse of the word "silicone" to no avail and it seems buyers are accepting the fraudulent product without complaint. So American sellers feel abusing the system works for China so why not.

Just to get an idea first do a search for Reborn Silicone dolls and you will see over 30k. then sort it by "highest price". The first 400 will be actual silicone. The remaining are simply a much softer vinyl. And 'NO there is no such thing as 'silicone vinyl'

i hope you have enjoyed today's fun walk through the ins and outs of the "frustrated yet eternally hopeful eBayer"

Message 15 of 22
latest reply