cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

short paid item

a buyer shortpaid me on postage. i explained the issue to him and he is willing to pay the additional 11.85.   how can he do that please without opening a dispute. i dont really want to use venmo,. i cant see where i can send another invoice.   

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

short paid item

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Did you send him an invoice with the combined items and the final discounted shipping total?  

Yes. I gave him a choice between priority or parcel post, with both prices clearly stated. What he paid, wasn’t anywhere near either one of those rates.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

short paid item

There's no easy way to do that, because the seller is supposed to absorb the difference when they undercharge for postage.  Did the buyer somehow not pay the amount that was shown in the listing?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

@putz001abc wrote:

a buyer shortpaid me on postage. i explained the issue to him and he is willing to pay the additional 11.85.   how can he do that please without opening a dispute. i dont really want to use venmo,. i cant see where i can send another invoice.   

@putz001abc 

When revised postage is agreed upon, after the fact by both parties the only way to correct the discrepancy is cancel the order and relist specifically for that buyer with the corrected amount. Unfortunately there is NOTHING built into eBay to fix a situation like this.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

Revised:

@putz001abc 

At times there are rational reasons for this situation to happen. Many customers are understanding with an explanation. Unfortunately not all are. (Noted: Under normal circumstances a seller is not supposed to increase postage after the fact.) I've had situations where buyers have asked for a quicker service(more expensive) after paying when they realized other options were available.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

I would just eat the loss. If the shipping information I have in the listing is wrong, that's my fault and the buyer shouldn't have to pay for it. If the buyer is willing to pay more in shipping, I think @lotzofuniquegoodies' plan is the best.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

We need to know how the buyer managed to short pay postage. Need some clarification.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

The buyer did NOT short pay you; you input something incorrectly in the shipping calculator.

Therefore, YOU- the seller, is responsible and should just eat the difference. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

A buyer can't short you postage unless they only gave you a partial payment on an order? I wouldn't mail it out to them unless they paid the full asking price and the postage you're charging on your listing. You can't add or change postage due from a customer after a sale.  If you undercharged for postage as the seller it's not the customer's fault, that's on you. It's better business to eat the cost. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

Many of us would be interested in knowing how that could happen.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

I'm guessing there was an error in the listing & the shipping charge was inaccurate.  I would just accept the error and ship away without asking the buyer for additional money for the shipping. Call it a learning experience!!!

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

Exactly.  In fact, there is something somewhere in eBay's rules that expressly forbids a seller from asking for more money after a listing has ended.  

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

No they didn't, You shortchanged yourself by not paying attention to how much you were charging for shipping for said item. It's impossible that the buyer shortchanged you since YOU were the one that made the listing, input the price of the item & the price for shipping. Take it as a lesson and move on. if it makes you feel better, when I used to sell electronics I forgot to change my shipping from free shipping to calculated & it costed me almost $100. I was suspicious when it sold in under an hour but then realized shortly thereafter what I did wrong. I ate it, lost money on the sale and moved on. That lesson has insured that I don't do that again, and I haven't. You live and you learn. Today, you learned.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

How did they short pay you on the shipping?

They are only required to pay what was shown in the listing.

If you made a mistake in the shipping, you make up the difference.

The only time you can ask them to pay more is if they want to upgrade the shipping.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

There's no easy way to do that, because the seller is supposed to absorb the difference when they undercharge for postage.  Did the buyer somehow not pay the amount that was shown in the listing?

The buyer won multiple auctions. He asked to combine shipping. I agreed. He somehow managed to not pay the agreed-upon amount. I have no idea how he was able to revise it.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

short paid item

Did you send him an invoice with the combined items and the final discounted shipping total?  

Message 15 of 19
latest reply