cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller feedback to warn others of problems

this is a bit ofa sticky wicket here on eBay and the rules leave honest input not allowed though buyers can ruin a business with tactless admonishment yet sellers must give buyers only positive input no matter. 

I believe we should never fight our battles publicly in the FB forum. It is unprofessional and limited characters can create an altogether different meaning. i also believe giving bad feedback can be as bad or even worse than getting it. One needs to always sound open minded and communicative.

But recently I experienced a problem that I wish I had been better informed. 

Communication with my customers has become a second job I actually enjoy. I have made wonderful friends all over the world and have received many lovely gifts from New Zealand, Germany and Spain as well as the U.S.

So getting my first admonishment from eBay requesting I keep a better line of communication from my buyer was a slap in the face  ... better yet I was gobsmacked!

I have a customer in the Carolinas that ordered a doll kit. Tracking showed steady movement toward the destination and then a turn around back to me. The storms had just completed their final damage. So with tracking showing the directional change and the storms causing U.S.P.S to abandon their historical chant "neiher rain etc" I figured they were responsible. However when it arrived back at my studio the address was hand written, the box opened, the contents removed from the protective wrapper, the weight of 2 lbs (totally incorrect it weighted less than a pound) and $9.81 along with my info again handwritten on an inner flap made me think it was a customer return

I contacted her and asked if she returned it ... heard nothing 

Later that day I tried again ...nothing

The next morning I bought a new label and even based the calculation on the weight written on the flap by the enigma. I sent it back out but was still very concerned.i  also wanted to make certain she and her family was safe and weather conditions ok for mail delivery.  I gave her the tracking and told her it had updated in her summary.

Later that day I received an eBay email stating she was concerned and contacted them to get the tracking number because the item had traced back to me. And to please have better communication with my buyer. 

THEN she contacted me and asked for the tracking which I had sent already and I also asked if her area had been affected and if she needs anything i was available to send food clothing and blankets through our community outreach, and of course apologized.

After she hot the items she sent me a terse note "al i got was head arms and  legs!  NO BODY???

Followed immediately by eBay stating a case has been opened but since i said very clearly it did NOT come with a body, if I chose to not refund her, the case would be closed.

As a seller i wish I had known her hair triggers

If I say nothing the next seller may experience the same thing which doesn't seem fair.

But if I put "customer has communication issues ; would rather call eBay than resolve  it thru seller contact " i am afraid i am breaking protocol.

As a seller what would you want to know before you transacted with her?

I would cry but drinking is a lot more subtle.
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: seller feedback to warn others of problems

that makes a lot of sense and a consideration i will reflect on future sales with new eBayers.

99% of reborn artists  and that is no exaggeration , refuse bids from buyers with less than 10 feedback.  I am one of the very few that has not added that caveat to my listings. And until this i have had no issue .

Some of my loyal customers have been 'been 'newbies'.so my acceptance has been where they can build their ratings

Message 31 of 60
latest reply

thank you all who have offered valuable advice.

it is much appreciated

Message 32 of 60
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The last buyer of that item was a brand new buyer with 0 feedback so they are likely not familiar with how ebay or the message system works. If they were a guest buyer, they may not even have access to messages...I'm not sure how that works. Even if they have access, they probably don't know where to check for messages.

You're right~new or guest buyers are more than likely to contact Ebay with any problems~just because they are new and don't know how things work.

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

I would be happy if we could just leave honest feedback.

If a buyer tries to scam me, fails, then goes to paypal to try again, fails, and then decided to file an unauthorized transaction case with their bank, I think we should be able to give other sellers a heads up instead of just letting them keep their 100% positive feedback.

If ebay can't bring themselves to let us be honest, then they just need to do away with all feedback. Do not try to trick newer sellers into thinking that a buyer actually has 100% positive when there is no option to leave anything other than positive. 

If we are unable to leave negative feedback, then no feedback score should even be shown for buyers. The best option would be for us to be able to see what percentage of cases a buyer opens, and to be able to auto block at whatever percentage we chose.... you know, some actuall real seller protection that does not only kick in AFTER we have taken a loss instead of being told "we can block the buyers afterwards and report them so they can't do it again"

Message 34 of 60
latest reply

I know that it is generally accepted that Ebay took away the ability for sellers to leave anything other than positive FB for buyers in 2008 because of some sellers that misbehaved with the priviledge.  Afterall it was part of what Ebay was saying at the time.  IMHO it was mostly because it was the easiest excuse to use at the time that most sellers would buy into.

But in reality it was because it made good business sense.  What other site or company allows negative FB to be posted about the customers, whether that is of the company or a similar site to Ebay?  The answer is none.  That isn't because they don't desire "honest" FB, it is because it is a quick way to ruin your business.

What many forget is the transactions on Ebay are NOT personal transactions but business transaction.  

That doesn't mean there are not problematic customers/buyers.  There are as we all know.  And they aren't just here, they are everywhere.  Fortunately for all of us, the majority of transactions go off without issue.

Returns and problematic customers are just a part of doing business whether it is here or on another site.  However I firmly believe that Ebay could and should do a better job at supporting Sellers in these regards.  They could if they really wanted to.  They can't get in the middle of a he said she said situation, but when sellers have clear, concise proof, the sellers should have the ability to present their case to someone with the authority to do something about it.  A review board of sorts.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 35 of 60
latest reply

i agree 100%

everything you say only enforces the fact that professionalism should be first and foremost when dealing with customers and I fired off that topic without taking into consideration this buyer could very well see this and that kind of confrontation could be more damaging then anything eBay could hand me,

one must be cognizant of the damage a community board such as this could do to their bottom line.

but I disagree about no other place allows negative comments about buyers.

i may be mistaken but doesn't ETSY run a Facebook thread for customers and buyers to interact?

the one unfortunate side affect of the reborn doll industry is the artists do not interact well. One misstep can start a volcanic eruption of epic proportions with fake bidding, false newly created identities just for that purpose, bulk purchasing only to get PP involved in false chargebacks and the list goes on. That is why a large percentage of artists will not accept bids from buyers with less than 5 FB.  There are artists that truly resent new blood and will gang together to run the new artists off. So the abilities like what we are talking about here would be tools for them.

And then there are the truly wonderful artists that mentor and help newbies get off the ground and I pray i am included in that lot.

As I mentioned to a prior respondent there is a "no fly" list of buyers considered to be a problem. i keep getting offers to have it sent to me but i have declined. My interaction with a customer is based on the meshing of both our unique perspectives. If a seller has even the smallest issue with a collector they will use that list against them. There are no criteria of how and/or why you would want to penalize someone. If I have an issue and do not want to engage in business with them the short answer is to block them and move on.

again thank you 

i wish this had been the first reply. It would have been an 'accepted solution' and we could have all moved on

Message 36 of 60
latest reply

everything you say only enforces the fact that professionalism should be first and foremost when dealing with customers and I fired off that topic without taking into consideration this buyer could very well see this and that kind of confrontation could be more damaging then anything eBay could hand me, 

one must be cognizant of the damage a community board such as this could do to their bottom line.

This is highly unlikely to affect anyone that posts on the threads.  While some buyers and some sellers come her to post, it is important to remember than in the scheme of things it is an extremely small percentage.  There are millions and millions and millions of buyers and sellers.  So it isn't likely that the person you had a transaction with will find you hear.  Obviously possible, just not likely.

but I disagree about no other place allows negative comments about buyers. 

i may be mistaken but doesn't ETSY run a Facebook thread for customers and buyers to interact?

I don't do Facebook so I can't comment to what goes on there.  But on Etsy they don't even allow sellers to leave FB at all.  It is a one sided system.  Only buyers are allowed to leave FB.  And it works just fine.

the one unfortunate side affect of the reborn doll industry is the artists do not interact well. One misstep can start a volcanic eruption of epic proportions with fake bidding, false newly created identities just for that purpose, bulk purchasing only to get PP involved in false chargebacks and the list goes on.

Sounds like a very hostile envoironment that I'm glad I'm not in.

That is why a large percentage of artists will not accept bids from buyers with less than 5 FB.  There are artists that truly resent new blood and will gang together to run the new artists off. So the abilities like what we are talking about here would be tools for them.

Well if you can prove all that, report them to Ebay as this is a breach of the selling rules.

As I mentioned to a prior respondent there is a "no fly" list of buyers considered to be a problem. i keep getting offers to have it sent to me but i have declined.

So report whomever is sending it to you.  Ebay will stop them and they don't have to say it was you that reported them.  They aren't suppose to be doing that.

Best Wishes

Message 37 of 60
latest reply

I agree completely. I’ve recently had a buyer ask me to end a auction early and accept a buy now. I gave the buy the terms and they agreed to them. I said I would include free shipping even though that option was not available in the original sale. No sooner than I left the post office he was sending nasty messages that I ripped him off on the free shipping because it wasn’t free next day priority  (next day priority is never offered as a option). Before it was delivered buyer was demanding $15 refund in exchange for positive feedback. If I refused I would get negative feedback. I contacted the customer service 4 times asking them to take action against the blatant violations of policy. Their reaction so far has been to force my to give a refund and except the return. I’ve been paying $550 a month in seller fees for the last 4 months, but to them the $15 extortionist is the one that gets protected. All the buyers in the world are useless without sellers. This month will be my last seller fee paid to eBay.  Lose a seller that makes them $1000’s yearly in fees but keep extortionists that spend $20-$50 a year. Stupidest business idea ever. 

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

i have heard this story before. i swear almost verbatim 

it must be an ongoing scam 

i remember reading FB where a buyer actually wrote "was promised free nexr day shipping but waited 5" so I looked at the item purchased and it had a shipping charge. so apparently the buyer got shipping dropped.

wow just when you thought you heard it all.

sorry to see you go. 

Message 39 of 60
latest reply

Its like we all need a code system "buyer is a 1 watt bulb" or something so other buyers know what it means. lol
Message 40 of 60
latest reply

the more i think this through the more i believe buyer FB should be eliminated 

it is nothing but a contentious subject and since seller input is staged it serves no purpose 

i did have a buyer who never paid so I went to her eBay to see if she had any recent purchases  ... was she just ignoring ME, maybe she was one of those that got on eBay once in a blue moon and maybe this was an impulse bid she forgot and I should give her more time 

she only had ONE feedback and it was from a seller . it said "nonpaying bidder "

i wish I had seen that earlier

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

@bdbq_reborn wrote:

the more i think this through the more i believe buyer FB should be eliminated 

it is nothing but a contentious subject and since seller input is staged it serves no purpose 

i did have a buyer who never paid so I went to her eBay to see if she had any recent purchases  ... was she just ignoring ME, maybe she was one of those that got on eBay once in a blue moon and maybe this was an impulse bid she forgot and I should give her more time 

she only had ONE feedback and it was from a seller . it said "nonpaying bidder "

i wish I had seen that earlier

Looking at a buyer's FB can tell you a little bit, but not a lot normally.  You certainly can't tell how active of a buyer they are unless they regularly leave FB for their sellers as often times sellers don't leave FB until after the buyer does.  Then there are many sellers that feel strongly about the unfairness of the FB system and they don't leave FB at all.

What is more telling is to look at the FB they leave for sellers.  You can sometimes learn a lot from that.

Various sites do things differently.  On Etsy and on Amazon buyers do not get FB at all, only sellers do.  What I see is that when buyers don't get FB per the site's rules, they only rarely leave FB for the seller.  Now that can be good and it can be bad.  When you don't have most of your buyers leaving FB, then you get one leaving a negative, it really screws up the numbers for the seller.  Personally I think the FB numbers should be divided by the total transactions that a seller has, not just the number of transactions that get FB left.  That to me would be more truthful.

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

Hey, mam (and the other sellers in this thread)! I'm a buyer only, so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but there's something I don't understand.

IF BUYERS COULD GET NEGATIVE FEEDBACK:

Say I'm a seller. I have a buyer, either via auction or BIN/via the cart. Let's say the person has already paid. So I look at their feedback and see they have some negative feedback about filing SNADs or requesting partial returns or any of the other loathsome things buyers do. 😉 What's my recourse? Would I cancel the transaction? There are currently three reasons a seller can cancel, and none would fit this scenario. Should eBay add another reason sellers can cancel? LIke, "too much negative feedback?" That certainly doesn't help sellers in advance of a sale . . .

Should eBay institute a feature that allows sellers to automatically block buyers with a certain amount of negative feedback? We all know buyers can leave some pretty petty, undeserved and, frankly, ridiculous negative feedback for sellers, but I can read it and still buy from those same sellers if I think the feedback is vindictive or whatever. What happens if sellers leave petty, undeserved, and, frankly, ridiculous negative feedback for buyers--who are then automatically blocked from buying from you? Would you want a two-step rejection process? The buyer shows up on a blocked transaction list, you (as a seller) review the negative feedback, and then, based on the negative comments, decide whether to go ahead with the sale? I mean, you wouldn't want to punish out of hand the buyer who has received unfair negative feedback, right?

I just don't get how being able to leave negative feedback for buyers would actually work as a tool to help sellers. Help me out, here, folks! LOL!
Message 43 of 60
latest reply

Actually there is no honest feedback for either buyer or seller.  Sellers may have called incessantly until they got their honest negs removed, as is advised on this Board.   The problem with blocking for returns is that returns may be due to a true SNAD, which is not the buyer's fault, so good buyers could be blocked through no fault of their own, thus losing good sales.  Not every return is the buyer's fault.

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

You see threads about this on the Buying Board.  Buyers are incensed when their honest negs are removed, they say Ebay is a joke, they can't trust feedback, and they won't buy here ever again.

Message 45 of 60
latest reply