cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

search function sure can be frustrating and inefficient

though it's not as bad as Amazon's, the functionality of the search feature really seems like a mess sometimes. even when using exact search terms, it throws a net so large that it pulls in tons of items that don't even include all of the search terms. after listing an item this morning, i did a search to see where it was placed. there are quite a few of this specific item, so i knew it wouldn't land high in the results, but i was a bit taken aback that it landed on page 13 (and fell back to page 15 after an hour). of the results placed higher in the search results, at least half didn't include all the search terms (and that is with sorting by "best match"). i realize getting as many products out in front of buyers is important, but this approach limits the effectiveness of searching by exact terms. i can't help but wonder if the recent emphasis on adding item specifics has made this worse (likewise, i've noticed some sellers adding item specifics that aren't quite representative of the products, which i assume is to have the listings show up in more searches). 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Don't know what you are selling, but the ability to block one country(usually China) could really help.

Also, the promoted items mess things up.

Just the price or condition should edit those things out.

There are a couple of things I have been looking for.

My patience just doesn't hold out long.

The item specifics throw another issue in.

Best of luck!!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

We of course can't choose search to exclude china!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I've found Best Match to be more like Worst Match - it depends on a bunch of algorithmic woo which is notoriously inaccurate. I do better with just plain ending soonest/first listed or whatever. Items will rank differently depending on who is searching - that's the 'personalisation' effect.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Without specifics of what search terms you were using and what item you were expecting to find, we really cannot help. 

But searching for your most recently listed item by the terms joe burrow optic rookie prizm  under Best Match in All Categories, yours came up #3 out of 525 for me. 

aaa1.jpg

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@luckythewinner 

yeah, that one came out ok. of course, the one i was whining about sold within an hour or so of my post here...lol--but that was after sitting in two other tries at listing it in a buried spot. the third try i lowered the price a bit below market--still landed deep in the pages of listings, but evidently caught someone's eye. still, i do get a bit frustrated sometimes with the search results--though, as i said in the first post, it's better than Amazon's search feature. thanks for checking that out--i appreciate it.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It's important to remember that where an item lands in search results for you may not be where it lands for someone else.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

yeah, i did know that--just didn't seem to recall the information this morning when i needed to...lol...the day got better, though...thanks!!!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

It's frustrating - eBay's search reminds me of Corinthians - "We See But Through a Glass Darkly."

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 9
latest reply