cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"You don't need to return this item to the seller - you can keep the item." - what is going on?

I am puzzled as what is happening with the returns.  For a change I am a buyer in the story. Bought two dresses from two different sellers, my fav brand and fabric, both dresses for under $20, was so happy about that.  Dresses arrived. 

One dress fit fine but had stains on it, right in front.  I opened the return request "item not as described" , thinking the seller will provide a label and I will return it.  Nope... the seller just went ahead and refunded me all the money and said to keep it, got the email "You don't need to return this item to the seller - you can keep the item."  So now I have that stained dress...   

The other dress did NOT fit, inspite of what seems to be my measurements in the listing.  Opened another case, as "did not fit", was able to print the label at my expense (which was expected), sent the dress back. The seller received the dress, processed the refund and I got the email "You received a refund for this item" with the verbage "You don't need to return this item to the seller - you can keep the item." First of all - the dress was already sent back and received and I already saw the seller relisting it.  Second of all - what is going on?  Why "keep"?  is that some option that sellers have somewhere where they donot want the returns back?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

"You don't need to return this item to the seller - you can keep the item." - what is going on?

@eugefunk

Yes, sellers have the option of refunding and not requiring you to return.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

well, that was my guess too.  However, with the second return - I was presented with the label, which I paid for and sent the return back, so the verbage in the email is not applicable because the item was already in seller's hands, I could not possibly "keep" it.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@eugefunk

@eugefunk wrote:

well, that was my guess too.  However, with the second return - I was presented with the label, which I paid for and sent the return back, so the verbage in the email is not applicable because the item was already in seller's hands, I could not possibly "keep" it.

Well, the seller had the option to send "return for refund"

But that was not an option, as he had the item back.

( and may have caused a label to be created, that was not needed )

His other option was refund without return.

Not the best choice, but better than return for refund.

And the email is from ebay, not the seller.

I have only had one return, so he may have had other options.

But this is off the top of my head, from memory.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I just love those automated ebay emails...not really.   I got one on an accepted return, where the buyer never returned anything, which stated we see you have received the return and need to refund.   No. I. Did. Not. 

I actually gave in and called about that one, thinking ebay might just refund my buyer or claim I didn't accept the return or something.   The rep said something along the lines about those just go out whether they see tracking or not since the time was up--not to worry.  nice

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@fern*wood

Or the one where a buyer does not pay, but ask to cancel.

and ebay send you a message to refund the buyer.

Duh  there never was a real sale, and no payment.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yes, it's an option for sellers in handling SNAD cases, and sometimes it's not worth the cost of shipping to get the item back, especially under 20 bucks. This will probably not happen on more expensive items.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@plumbingspecials

@plumbingspecials wrote:

Yes, it's an option for sellers in handling SNAD cases, and sometimes it's not worth the cost of shipping to get the item back, especially under 20 bucks. This will probably not happen on more expensive items.

I am not versed in returns, I know in snad it is an option.

But is it an option in a normal return request ?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I have noticed that ebay is dinking around with programming and it could easily be that they imputted the same email on every return option.  After all ebay does want a one size fits all site, so one email makes sense to them even though it doesn't in the real world. 

And it always amazes me how some can not accept that ebay can and does make mistakes.

(*Bleep*)
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@eugefunk wrote:

One dress fit fine but had stains on it, right in front.  I opened the return request "item not as described" , thinking the seller will provide a label and I will return it.  Nope... the seller just went ahead and refunded me all the money and said to keep it

{snip}

what is going on?  Why "keep"?  is that some option that sellers have somewhere where they donot want the returns back?

Yes, sellers have to option to refund without paying for the  return shipment.

Think about it - if a dress has a stain on it, why in the world would the seller want to pay to have it returned just so he can throw it out?

Seems like common sense to me.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Sockmonkey -
Hi!
No, it's not an option for normal buyer's remorse or changed mind request, those are now automatically accepted through eBay's returns systems IF you have a returns allowed policy. If you have No Returns policy, the only way to return is for SNAD, and eBay has finally allowed for sellers to handle this type of case in more than one way.
I was a little annoyed when they started to do that on regular returns, because no matter the reason someone wants to return something, I like to investigate the entire transaction before accepting a return. I would never deny a request if it's within my policy, but I like to know what and why it is that I'm agreeing to accept.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I just love those automated ebay emails...not really.   I got one on an accepted return, where the buyer never returned anything, which stated we see you have received the return and need to refund.   No. I. Did. Not. 

I actually gave in and called about that one, thinking ebay might just refund my buyer or claim I didn't accept the return or something.   The rep said something along the lines about those just go out whether they see tracking or not since the time was up--not to worry.  nice

Ebay is getting more and more financially abusive to sellers all the time. I see from your post that they just ramped it up a notch. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:

Sadly, though, there are those that will insist on a return, even though they are paying return shipping.  

There was an item I bought that seemed to have damage all over it in the listing pictures.  It looked like white paste fingerprints that had dried, but sometimes a camera can create a weird effect and the item really isn't damaged, so I asked.  Item is fine, so I bought.  Item comes with white paste fingerprints all over, and broken to boot~it was mechanical and did not work.  None of this in the description.  I messaged the seller, pointed out I asked, and directed her to the pictures where you could see the damage.

Seller wanted return.  Upon receiving the item, she said, You were right~I had to throw it away!   I said, It is a shame you spent good money to get that back when you could see it in your own pictures~as I pointed that out before I bought and after as well.  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@plumbingspecials

@plumbingspecials wrote:

I am not versed in returns, I know in snad it is an option.

But is it an option in a normal return request ?

Ita an option remorse returns,  but  not if the seller accepts returns. If the seller accepts returns then eBay now automatically accepts the return. If the seller doesn’t accept returns and it’s a remorse return then the seller has the option of refunding, return for a return, and declining the return.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 14 of 14
latest reply