cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Sri Lanka Sunday"

This morning we have again been bombarded with original posts and replies from eBay members from Sri Lanka. I'm here to remind Sri Lankans that the number of posts to this board in NO WAY elevates your status with eBay, counts as feedback to your eBay account or gives you "badges" that have any meaning whatsoever. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: "Sri Lanka Sunday"

wonder if someone posted that on each and every post from them.......if it would help stop it?    Along with giving them a link to seller school? 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

wonder if someone posted that on each and every post from them.......if it would help stop it?    Along with giving them a link to seller school? 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

All that said, this is NOT to discourage you from selling. It can certainly be successfully done. It's hard work and especially hard for people in your country. Seller School is a great way to start, before you even attempt selling. It will give you the tools you need for a successful start. And there are many people here to help you with the things you still don't understand after you've completed the school. Good luck.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

We actually should discourage them as much as possible.

I have looked at the numbers extensively, and there are apparently only a few "successful" sellers in the entire country of Sri Lanka.  Of the top 3, 1 is selling digital items from a video game and the other 2 are drop shippers one just selling 99 cent chinese junk for $2.xx instead of 99 cents, the other selling tools over market, probably with razor thin margins due to the amount of advertising you need to do to sell over market. 

I would imagine for every Sri Lankan seller who ever turns the tiniest profit there are hundreds of them that lose money.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

whole slew of posts on payments board about the rejection of debit cards apparently by SL banks....they are really in trouble over there.........

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I have no doubts that there are issues with Sri Lankans making payments to sellers outside of SL, but the fact that many of the posts seem to be copy pasted with the posters never coming back, I always wondered how many were legit questions about payment issues and how many are part of the whole “post on the DBs and it will be good for you” scheme of whoever is running the get rich quick on eBay course scam.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

If I had a nickel for every "how to be good seller " or "what is best item to sell" post,

I'd have about $10.   😉

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

This could be considered hostile to ebay. Suggesting community members to discourage the Sri Lankans from selling on ebay is a violation to ebay rules.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

That’s not very many nickels?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Their economy is in such a mess that I'm sure many are just desperately trying to keep their families fed.

My concern has been less that the incessant posts are annoying, than that some computer literate, English-speaking, and entrepreneurial young people are being scammed in some way that we have not been able to pinpoint.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I guess we could write up a friendly macro with a welcome and link to seller school, with a few sentences on "what to sell" and a caution to not be fooled by scams.  It could be just dropped into those posts that aren't asking specific ongoing seller questions.

TBH, they bother me less than all the posts complaining about FVFs on sales tax and  the 1099 form.

ETA: Post de-snarked.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I think something should be done about all the U.S. sellers who post threads regarding eBay fees; Form 1099-K questions; suggesting sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for buyers; or complaining about eBay charging fees on shipping; complaining about having to file income tax forms on eBay activity; having to pay sales tax on used items, or . . . Give me a minute--I'll think of a few more.

What should be done about those members' threads/posts? Should those sellers be discouraged from selling? Should that same "seller school" link be posted in those, too?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I hardly bother with the Teach me to Sell one's anymore, if I do go in I just link Seller School, as to the Why can't I pay ones? it is not so much that it is not a relevant query, but the fact that there are literally thousands of them and usually many visible on the page before they even ask the same thing......

One liner spam and obvious copy pastes - I just report them.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

I think something should be done about all the U.S. sellers who post threads regarding eBay fees; Form 1099-K questions; suggesting sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for buyers; or complaining about eBay charging fees on shipping; complaining about having to file income tax forms on eBay activity; having to pay sales tax on used items, or . . . Give me a minute--I'll think of a few more.

What should be done about those members' threads/posts? Should those sellers be discouraged from selling? Should that same "seller school" link be posted in those, too?

If people are tired of answering them over and over and over (and the questioners won't search the forums), macros could be made, too, with all relevant information and just dropped in.  They can be friendly, as well.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 14
latest reply