cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"New Other" = Used ???

Just read where in the industrial category all "new other" listings will be switch by the site to "used - like new".

Since in the industrial category "new other" is most often used to describe new older stock items this seems like a terrible idea. A new older stock item or one without a factory package isn't used in any sense of the word.  It seems to me this a step guaranteed to produce more chaos and confusion. The unintended consequence will be more items listed as new that previously would have been "new other" leading to more returns and less customer satisfaction. Or buyers seeking new items bypassing completely the new older stock skus now shown as  "used - like new" listings and going to other sites to purchase. 

Please rethink - 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: "New Other" = Used ???

I am of the mindset, unless the item is new in the package - unopened - in its original factory condition, the item is not new. Even pre-owned items that are not new I will typically list as used, like new because - well - they are pre-owned. Items out of the original packaging are basically used/pre-owned even if "like new". Items like this could easily have been tried out, handled and found not to be good for the purpose intended.

I am sure there are exceptions and it is just my opinion as a seller and a buyer. If I am buying new and expecting new, I expect them item to have never been opened. Selling it as used, like new, is better for the seller and more consistent with most buyers expectations.

Cheers
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

The problem imo, is that the item isn't "used' by any normal definition. What you describing is a "New" item and there is an item condition that's offered for those skus. These are items that are currently listed as  "New" but qualified by "Other" - which indicates to the buyer (and seller) additional information is needed to explain the "Other".   This is going to result in many more bad transactions, because the tendency is going to be for sellers to stretch and list items as "New" because they will rightly feel that "Used" isn't an accurate description. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

But this dilemma has always existed.  For example, some may list pre owned items with tags as new with tags because the tags are present.  Others may not be comfortable with that because, as you say, the item was pre owned.  So it boils down to individual preference and which interpretation the seller feels is most appropriate, and what they are most comfortable with.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

"New - Other" was a middle ground.  By removing it there will be more trouble.  Few sellers are going to believe that used is an accurate description for an unused item.  So more items that had previously been listed with 'Other" qualifications will now be simply listed as "New".  It's just human nature. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

So it boils down to individual preference and which interpretation the seller feels is most appropriate

And basically, on ebay, it does not matter what designation is used.  If the buyer files SNAD it is SNAD and the seller is lying anyway according to ebay.  NEW MINT PRISITINE NEVER OPENED does not matter if buyer says it is used.  It is going to be business as usual around here regardless of any name changes.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I've always felt that new-other is a somewhat ambiguous item condition. The biggest part of the problem IMHO is that the eBay condition definitions aren't succinct enough and open to too much interpretation.

In my opinion:

New = Carries factory warranty. Is NIB sealed as it came from manufacturer.

Like new = may or may not be opened. Is not a first sale and does not carry manufacturer warranty but is otherwise in the condition that a new item would be in, including all parts and accessories, manuals, and box.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

So it boils down to individual preference and which interpretation the seller feels is most appropriate

And basically, on ebay, it does not matter what designation is used.  If the buyer files SNAD it is SNAD and the seller is lying anyway according to ebay.  NEW MINT PRISITINE NEVER OPENED does not matter if buyer says it is used.  It is going to be business as usual around here regardless of any name changes.

I am just laughing uproariously at the thought that, after decades of giving sellers severe spankings for saying things are "like new", they're going to change "New Other" to... "Used- Like New".

How eBay is that??

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Sounds like another decision made by someone that hasn't got a clue about selling on here.

I list "New other" on my car parts page.  The part is new, but 99% of the time its in an open package or opened box like all old car parts.  Listing as "new other" allows me to list the part as new, but disclose that the packaging is damaged or opened.  This has always been the case with new/old stock classic car parts.

If they change my listings to "used-like new", it is a lie because the part is new, just the box is opened or damaged.  If I list it as new, you'll get the occasional buyer that will take this literally and want to return their opened part.

This along with the "Good Til Cancelled" change is really got me thinking of my "Plan B".......

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

It all depends whether your interpretation of "New" in the context of eBay is referring to the stage in the product lifecycle (the legal definition) or as a statement of the general condition of the product for sale.

I think a lot of old school eBayers would say new means "in unused, mint condition" whereas newer buyers will think new means "sealed in a box" like on a B&M store shelf.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I am just laughing uproariously at the thought that, after decades of giving sellers severe spankings for saying things are "like new", they're going to change "New Other" to... "Used- Like New".

Oh my, missed that one!  LOL. You would be correct.  Hopefully, they put that old "bot" in the closet so it doesn't start  pulling listings and giving policy violations for those that choose "used like new".

The condition, however, will still be (true or not) what the buyer says it is.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:
It all depends whether your interpretation of "New" in the context of eBay is referring to the stage in the product lifecycle (the legal definition) or as a statement of the general condition of the product for sale.

I think a lot of old school eBayers would say new means "in unused, mint condition" whereas newer buyers will think new means "sealed in a box" like on a B&M store shelf.

The parts I sell along with a partner on a joint page are car parts from the 50's through the 80's.  Just about all of these parts came in boxes that can be opened and were never sealed.  The parts that we do acquire that are sealed are opened to be inspected and so the buyer can see what they are getting.

When I list the parts we sell as "New Other", I can explain that the part is new, which it is and also explain that the box has been opened or has damage from sitting around in a shop for close to 60 years.  If I were to list it as "New", I don't have a box to give a condition description.  Saying a car part is "used-like new" is not going to work.  We sell used parts as well and say they are "used".

This change might work for some categories and some items, but not everything.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

It's the classic clash of the used/vintage/collectible heritage of the site vs it's current new retail model. They don't really fit together on the same site.

To me, it looks like eBay is aligning with the Amazon condition definitions. I have to wonder if Amazon may be the potential buyer?
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:
It's the classic clash of the used/vintage/collectible heritage of the site vs it's current new retail model. They don't really fit together on the same site.

To me, it looks like eBay is aligning with the Amazon condition definitions. I have to wonder if Amazon may be the potential buyer?

That is something I can agree with.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I stand by my man my opinion that, with some exceptions, unused is new.  Especially if it's my widget bought by little ol' me from the retail establishment.

Say I list a $$$ sweater from my closet, with tags, never worn.  Why would I call that used?  I didn't use it.  I may have moved it anywhere from 1' - 9' ,  one section to another in the closet, or maybe into a dresser drawer, but I didn't use it.

In some cases I do use "used" (this is getting phonetically phunny) because then I get a description box where I can describe my reason for using "used."

I used to sell quite a bit of HBA.  Mascara isn't sealed.  I purchased it and then sold it.  Is that used?  Because no one (in her right mind) is going to buy used mascara.

Okay, back to work.  I've spent too much time haggling with buyers tonight - I took the high road and assumed a response from one of them was written in ha ha font and not derisive font - and All.Day.On.My.Feet. going through jewelry (mine)  (I'll call it used even though there are some pieces I know I never wore) and that means I've imbibed a few pain relief pills and I think I should quit now.  And I'm getting the stink eye from The Husband who thinks I should never sell anything of my own.  But aha I found the receipts with serial numbers for his watches so, okay, I'll just sell his stuff.  

laughing

The good news is I found an earring (Tiffany, 18k, diamonds) that I thought was long gone into the pocket of the young woman we referred to as The Cleaning Twit.  I didn't realize until much later how much she pilfered over the years.  Little things that I wouldn't notice were missing.   I don't think there is any hope on locating that Yurman 18k/diamond Albion earring, though.  I could go on ...

Oh, btw, I never wore those Yurman earrings.   New or used?   thinking

Whee...opioids...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 15 of 17
latest reply