cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Buyers" Who Send An Offer Then NEVER Pay When I Accept It

This has happened twice in the past month. Both times the deadbeats have had feedback of less than 10. I have had buyers cancel a bid with the excuse "I bid by mistake" but there is absolutely no way someone can send an offer by mistake.  Anybody else out there having these problems? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I honestly get at least one of those a day and it sucks because now your item isn't listed for unspecified days. Ive had them stay in limbo for a week sometimes. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You are, of course, opening unpaid item cases every time this happens, right?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Never had an offer that wasn't paid for after accepting it. But plenty of goofy, **bleep** type reasons for why they bid by accident. Makes me mad due to the time wasted canceling & dealing with that **bleep**.  Also kind of amusing to read all the different reasons for why they want out of their win. Block like crazy when this happens & move on!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I am getting quite a few of these too.  Mine always have a message to text them because they have a question.  It is always the same wording on the message but a different number and account.  Is this a new scam to hold up our items, because they are selling the same item and want an edge?????  I did accept one, but I am not doing it again.  

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Remove best offer from your listings--especially the low price ones.  That way when they buy, you can require immediate payment.   If you price high to allow for offers, then revise the price down a little.  I used to always put BO on my listings, but now I rarely do.  Buyers can still send you a message with an offer, but you don't have to accept them.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Happens all the time. I just had one monday for a gold necklace. Had 3 hours left on the unpaid item case. Never responded or communicated then hours before i get......"sorry for delay i was out of town. I need more pictures necklace looks chipped."

Ya know this 4 feedback buyer is already looking for a way out so i gave him one. Finished upi and blocked. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Instead of accepting the offer or countering, you could temporarily lower the buy-it-now price of your listing to the offer (or counteroffer) price.

This both preserves the Immediate Payment Required feature and gives the potential buyer an incentive to act quickly, as anyone else could take advantage of the low price, too.

You may not necessarily want to lower the price if you have a multiple quantity listing, though, unless you are content to sell many at that price.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Some buyers don’t understand an offer is binding. Drop your price instead of accepting an offer. Make sure you have your bidder block set to block purchases from buyers with more than one unpaid item in a year.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

All the time, at least once a week.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If they are asking you to text(communicate outside of ebay)that is often the start of an attempt to run a scam such as a fake payment email or address change which voids seller protection.All communication should be thru ebay and all questions asked and answered before making or accepting an offer(or bidding,buying)

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I always open UPI cases, close & block. I might have to re-think my Best Offers. It has helped getting offers and most pay but the ones that don't are always low to zero feedback buyers. Thanks for all the info!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply