cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

promoted list item worth it?

Hello guys!

I am trying to sell a brand item on ebay. First time the list was indexed very good on to the top of the first page. but after revised it (change the description and few modification at title) for couple of times, has been going down to the third and fourth pages. After that i decided to pay the promoted list but even with this the list now it is not in a very good position. 

I have 2 questions:

1. if i will sell the item and it will be returned i will be also charged for the promoted list? (I know that ebay charge you after selling item, but if the item will be returned they will still charge you?)

2. finally the main question it is , it is really worth to pay the promote list? Which are the tips to place your list item in a position on to the first page after keywords/categories?

Thank you in advance! I’m waiting for your answers. Thank you!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: promoted list item worth it?

Don’t listen to the naysayers. Totally worth it but I don’t use ebays trending percentage. If I list something that’s trending at 7% I use 3-3.5%. Promoted listings cost me pennies and I get sales from it.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Also I don’t raise my price to account for the PL. It’s simple I need money and PL helps me get it. You should consider that someone like me is trying to pay for life saving medical treatment not trips to Disney.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:
Don’t listen to the naysayers. Totally worth it but I don’t use ebays trending percentage. If I list something that’s trending at 7% I use 3-3.5%. Promoted listings cost me pennies and I get sales from it.

I also will not buy from promoted listings. It just encourages Ebay to keep doing these silly money grabs. No offense to you but I never buy what Ebay wants me to buy

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

While those are all well and good-how does a seller get you to see THEIR ITEM?

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I tried that on about fifty items and I never once had to pay the fee.  And that's not good.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@chipper01work wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@chipper01work wrote:

Can't answer your question to as whether it is worth it or not but I can tell you this. As a seller I refuse to use it and as a buyer I absolutely refuse to buy a promoted listing. eBay gets enough of my money for doing very little as it is. I will look for a seller who did not promote and instead passed a little of that savings to me via a lower price. 

Is that an eBay thing only? Or do you extend that to any product from any one who has spent money on advertising?

If you want to "punish" eBay you could take note of the item and find it without clicking on the sponsored listing, not sure why you would want to punish the seller and maybe even yourself. After all, if you find an item you want and the price is right the price is right....what would you do if you can't find another or the promoted one is by far the best deal?

Find me a promoted listing that is by far the best deal. I think that will be like finding bigfoot. eBay worked fine for nearly 20 years, for both buyers and sellers, without promoted listings and did billions and billions of sales where buyers found the items they were looking for without items being "promoted" (most would suggest it worked far better 10 years ago than today). It's another money grab by eBay and nothing more. If you want to promote listings knock yourself out. You won't be using my money to do it though.

I’m shocked. You realize that your money pays all the fees right? Once you buy it’s not your money anymore. I’m very surprised that you would feel that way about all of us using PL. Again I use it cause I need to stay alive.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:
You won’t buy from me if I use promoted listings? I don’t understand that. Most of my sales lately are promoted listings but I don’t use the outrageous rates that eBay says is trending. I cut those rates in 1/2. If it’s trending at 7% I do 3 or 3.5%.
You shouldn’t punish me for paying to get my listing seen.

Well for starters I'm not punishing you I am refusing to participate in or encourage more money grabs by ebay. It's my money to spend in a free market and will spend it wherever I see fit. It's nothing personal. What's left promoted promoted listings for 40% visibility fee? EBay will get a maximum of 10% of the money I spend and no more--period.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

"Also I don’t raise my price to account for the PL."

That's awesome if you can still make money. In my experiment, I would have been breaking even if I didn't adjust the costs. And that's not counting paying myself for design work - just recouping printing costs. I think that's why many promoted items seem more expensive. It's a lot of work listing, photographing, etc. beyond what you paid for the item (if you did pay for it). You've got to make at least a little profit, or why bother?
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

I can see both sides here.

We are blessed to have both @chipper01work  and @mg152 

Some just see it as wrong that eBay requires the seller pay more for visibility and they don't want to be a part of that~that's where chipper01work is coming from.

mg152 does it for a boost that can possibly increase the sales that she depends on and desperately needs.  That is where mg is coming from.

You're just both caught on opposite sides of this policy, and it isn't personal for either of you.  chipper has the right to forego those listings on principle and mg has the right to use them on principle.  You both have different reasons and objectives for feeling the way you do, both understandable.  

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

Just want to add, I wish both of you the very best of sales always!

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Encourage buyers to use picclick.

@divwido wrote:

While those are all well and good-how does a seller get you to see THEIR ITEM?

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

what i will highly suggest you to
1 : do discount promotions its helps might not for all items but for few items but if you are beginner than do it so you can make some good feedback .if you have 50 items buy basic store.
2 : if you have more than 100 items than have premium store and use www.crazylister.com and feedbackboost.com to take your sale to next good level.
3 : always first make sure your pictures should be very clear and with white background.
4 : do promotions for those items you are selling already, it will help more selling.
5 : there are tons of potential buyers on ebay who will buy .

Tips : to bring listing up in pages
1 : use terapeak, its free if you have ebay store subscription i have premium store so i am not sure if its come with basic store or not.
2 : always remember mostly buyers buy if they see seller is mature, you are new bie than you need to focus on first selling more and building up feedback more fastly.
3 : to secure you feedback you have to define your shipping policies and return policies very clearly in your listings ,there are a lot of scammers here even on discussion board who prey new sellers, so you must make sure your define policies are very safe for you.
4 : If you are beginner , do not sell expensive items on ebay until you become mature seller

if you need more help you can pm me i will tell you everything how you can boost your business more better.

Hope its helps

Message 27 of 27
latest reply