cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non paying greenhorns

I am having a heck of a time with zero feedback greenhorns that don't want to pay their bills.  It's gotten real bad the last couple of months. This week alone I think there were 3 or 4. Do others see an uptick on this?.  We need to get these off here. One way is for ebay to empower us by not allowing feedback privileges for monies not exchanged, then we can cancel the order. ,post non paying buyer and turn them over for a nonpayment strike.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

non paying greenhorns

@mountaindealer wrote:

You missed the point totally. Read posts again. I don't care how long it takes to pay as long as the transaction is fulfilled.  When you purchase something and a week or two goes by and customer hasn't communicated with the seller on intentions to pay then there is a problem. That's fraud !!

If that is your problem, then you just need to make sure you react quicker.  You can open the UID 48 hours after the purchase and then close it if payment hasn't arrived 96 hours later.  You don't have to wait a "week or two" for communication from your buyer.  That is a choice you have made, not one that is required of you.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

non paying greenhorns

@mountaindealer wrote:

One way is for ebay to empower us by not allowing feedback privileges for monies not exchanged

A way to empower ourselves is to use "immediate payment required". 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

I just ran into the same type of situation. A buyer made an acount just to buy my item and then dispute it on their credit card. Paypal released my funds as soon as I called them, but Ebay's only options were a button for Positive Feedback or Report Buyer. Guess what? The Report Buyer button did not work. Ebay is such a shoddy company...
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

Thank you,, as a matter of fact. I turned one low ball offer down and the next day I think he did a new account and bought the thing and that was it. I think people are video gaming the site now. Glad to hear from you, I am starting to connect the dots. Well I don't feel alone anymore. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

Yes. On any given week 10% of my sales are not paid for, most are newbies. Another 1-3% are false returns. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

About the only way to stop non paying buyers it to have all your listings to be fixed price with immediate payment required.  Then unless they pay, they can't purchase.

As far as FB.  Once you file your UID for non payment, then if payment doesn't arrive and you close it for non payment.  The buyer is blocked from leaving any kind of FB on your account.

Or if you use the Automated Assistant to open your UIDs, then from the moment the UID is opened, the buyer can't leave FB unless they pay.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

Thank you for posting. Most are familiar with that method, however that leaves a window of time open. This problem should be able to be dealt with immediately not in days.we are talking about people that creates accounts and game the site probably coming from the search engines., in fact I have another this morning. They will never answer your messages and you know. Listing everything with immediate payment I don't think is fair to others but most of the times it's the auctions., I have noticed that when you cancel the order you have 3 choices and nonpayment is not one of them, eBay needs to add that and as soon as that is selected that would automatically throw the strike switch. EBay also needs to reinstate the full feedback spectrum for both sides as it was before. That would be a game changer.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

No, never had that problem in 8 years, but I don't do actions or best offers either.

I use only BIN with immediate payment required.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

Ebay wants buyers to have six days to pay. If sellers were allowed to cancel for non-payment and apply a strike to the buyer, some would be using it two hours after EOA.

If you're running auctions, buyers may have to wait 7 days for it to end. Why is it so egregious for you to wait 6 for payment?

If you're getting non-payers due to offers, stop using offers OR instead of accepting the offer just change your item price. Then the IPR will still be in play.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

Thanks for the reply, looks like you gotta lot of nice things, that's noteworthy, I think a lot of the things I sell are what puts the target on my back too, I've honed it down to that so far. I have had it happen only once in housewares. Mostly it's in ebay motors.

(Not surprising). I recently changed my bin s to immediate payment but I feel that will just lead to more cancellations and returns

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

You missed the point totally. Read posts again. I don't care how long it takes to pay as long as the transaction is fulfilled.  When you purchase something and a week or two goes by and customer hasn't communicated with the seller on intentions to pay then there is a problem. That's fraud !!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

I didn't miss the point at all. You commented that resolution should be allowed to be used immediately. How would you know immediately that the buyer wasn't going to pay if you haven't heard from them?

BTW it's not fraud to commit to buying something and change your mind. At most it's a civil violation that you could take to court. Unless they come to your house and steal the item there is no crime involved. It's certainly not fraud.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

@mountaindealer wrote:

Thank you for posting. Most are familiar with that method, however that leaves a window of time open. This problem should be able to be dealt with immediately not in days.we are talking about people that creates accounts and game the site probably coming from the search engines., in fact I have another this morning. They will never answer your messages and you know. Listing everything with immediate payment I don't think is fair to others but most of the times it's the auctions., I have noticed that when you cancel the order you have 3 choices and nonpayment is not one of them, eBay needs to add that and as soon as that is selected that would automatically throw the strike switch. EBay also needs to reinstate the full feedback spectrum for both sides as it was before. That would be a game changer.

We will disagree on this one.  I don't mind that it takes a few days.  Many things could happen to keep someone away from their computer for a couple days or so.  It is important to remember that buyers are not usually at their computers as much as us sellers.  So time is important. 

The process now is much shorter than it use to be.  The old system we couldn't even file for 7 days and then had to wait another 7 to close it.

This is a reality of running auctions.  So it is either deal with it or move on and just run GTC listings with or without immediate payment, your choice.

To have Ebay step in so quickly would mean that Ebay would be stating the payment terms for a seller.  Ebay has their hands in far too many of the aspects of our little businesses, I for one certainly don't want to give them another.  I set my payment terms for my business and I want to continue to do that.  I don't want Ebay deciding what my payment TOS [terms of sale] are.  That is up to me.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

@mountaindealer wrote:

If that is your problem, then you just need to make sure you react quicker.  You can open the UID 48 hours after the purchase and then close it if payment hasn't arrived 96 hours later.  You don't have to wait a "week or two" for communication from your buyer.  That is a choice you have made, not one that is required of you.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

non paying greenhorns

List of Non Paying Bidders for month of September and October 2019. It is very sad that Ebay refuses to address the problem of repeated non paying buyers.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply