cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my photos are so bad! any advice for lighting?

my photos are yellow, fuzzy and dark! i bought white bulbs and they still look yellow! i recently bought a box light and haven't received it yet but i could only afford 1 so i will still have shadows, if it work at all! i was looking at these small boxes with lights in them that you put your item inside of and take photos but I am unsure because they are super cheap! any advice? I don't have a lot if money to spend so am I just doomed to have bad photos?? thanks

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: my photos are so bad! any advice for lighting?

@mosmom25-6 wrote:

my photos are yellow, fuzzy and dark! i bought white bulbs and they still look yellow! i recently bought a box light and haven't received it yet but i could only afford 1 so i will still have shadows, if it work at all! i was looking at these small boxes with lights in them that you put your item inside of and take photos but I am unsure because they are super cheap! any advice? I don't have a lot if money to spend so am I just doomed to have bad photos?? thanks

Camerajim is an ebay seller who knew a lot about photography and wrote a guide on photographing eBay items.  All kinds of practical tips and explanations of camera settings. The guide was written in 2006 to 2010 I believe and has not been updated since but the information is still relevant today. Camera reviews are on old models.

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/index.htm

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

I just use my phone or my scanner. I have two desk lamps that I bought at a garage sale.

If I use a backdrop it's a cardboard box.

I would caution you about using stock photos that you don't have permission to use.

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

Camera Jim is a good place to start. As others have said, your white balance is most likely the problem along with not enough light. 

I don't know what type of ceiling you have in the room you photograph in, but if it is white I would recommend using three daylight 100watt (5000 kelvin) LED bulbs in aluminum clamp on work lights. These are available at walmart, home depot, lowes, etc. and are about $8-10 each. Just clamp them on what ever is handy in a triangular arrangement about 4-5 feet away from where the item you are photographing will be and point them straight up at the ceiling. This will give you 300 watts of daylight indirect lighting that will light the whole room. You can move the lights around until you find the best location for your room.

Next, you need to white balance your camera. Either check your owners manual for how to do it or if you do not have that do a web search for your camera model. You should be able to find a video that will show you how to white balance your camera or even a printable copy of your owners manual in PDF format.

I have been using this set up for years and it has served me well. The key is enough light and you must white balance your camera every time you turn it on. Hope this helps you.

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

I use an overhead J Type T3 300 watt halogen lightbulb. It is extremely bright and photos turns out super bright and clear with it. Inadequate lighting is the number one cause for graininess and blurriness in photos. Remember, the more light you give to your camera, the better and more clear the quality will be. I find that the color temperature of the light doesn't matter too much, as long as the light is very bright and you set the white balance of your camera to Tungsten (or the whitest color temperature available). This will get rid of any yellow overcast as the blue overcast of the Tungsten will balance it out.

Bear in mind I still use a seven year old Kodak EasyShare C183 14MP point and shoot digital camera (a camera that you can easily get for under $20 on eBay). I also will raise the exposure compensation (artificial brightening) on the camera to around +0.5 to +0.7 depending on the item I'm photographing. Avoid using flash as it will most definitely cause your photos to look amateurish. Post processing on your computer also helps. I use Photoshop to adjust levels if I feel any photos are too dark.

For the backdrop, I use two pieces of 40" x 26" thin PVC boards (one on top resting against the wall and one on the surface) for an all white look. These are good because they can be easily wiped cleaned, durability are thick like a credit card and very flexible. I was just using foam boards from the dollar store before, but they tend to get permanently dirty and dent very easily.

P1020359.jpg

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

For the backdrop, I use two pieces of 40" x 26" thin PVC boards (one on top resting against the wall and one on the surface) for an all white look. These are good because they can be easily wiped cleaned, durability are thick like a credit card and very flexible. I was just using foam boards from the dollar store before, but they tend to get permanently dirty and dent very easily.

Very helpful information.  I was just going to pick up some foam boards for this purpose.  I've been using a 12" x 12" white tile and a LIFE magazine backing board to photograph small items, but it's not a big enough space and often means cropping off the edges.

What sort of light fixture do you need to accommodate a 300 watt bulb?

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

@innovatilife 

Where did you pick up that PVC board?  What would I look for?

I'm Dollar Store board buying - poster, foam and tri-fold - but I'm tired of how dirty/bent they get.

- Suzanne -
Message 21 of 42
latest reply

Home Depot, Lowes, or any home supply store will have various nominal 2'x4' plastic panels (for door kicks, overhead light replacement panels, etc), and used to have other size panels for other applications like shower stall/tub wall liners.

Tap Plastics here in Sacramento (also other locations in CA, OR and WA) has all sorts of stuff, but you may not have a similar outlet near you, and mail order shipping would be awful on those panels) https://www.tapplastics.com/
Message 22 of 42
latest reply

thanks for showing me how good a photo can look sorry i took so long!!
Message 23 of 42
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

You might try one... I saw one for $7.95 and that may be a good starter.  I too suffer from lack of the photography gene, but I have mad skills with photo editing.  I plucked one of your pictures and tried to do something with it and there was nothing I could do.  Your contrast is poor which is why your photos look like they have a haze over them.  Here is the pic I borrowed and I can't honestly say it is an improvement, there just isn't enough light.

Also, I'm noticing you have a horizontal banding in many of your pictures, you can especially see it in the picture I altered but it IS in many others.  I'm thinking it is the camera.

picture.jpg

In my experience, when you have horizontal banding in the picture like this, there are multiple light sources in the room with different color temperatures. I've had 3 different cameras that all exhibited this behavior when 2600K bulbs were mixed with 6500K bulbs in the same room, even though the 2600K light sources were about 10 feet away. It should help to turn on only the lights of matching color temperature.

Also, make sure the camera's white balance is adjusted correctly. 

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

I photo under difficult conditions - dark area in the woods, no room really to photo anywhere (I have to move furniture every time I photo), so have tried all kinds of things.  I've settled into proximate daylight (strangely our often cloudy daylight is best as it's more diffuse) and two daylight spectrum bulbs set higher than the items.  Since I photo large items (full length clothing) I agree with having the white baseboard - that has made all the difference, reflecting the light for more even lighting of areas which often end up dark.

To me, though, the proper lights make all the difference, even having the overhead lights on in the library adjoining the area where I photo throws a yellow cast on things.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 42
latest reply

I agree with @equid0x about the problems with mixed lighting - it'll confuse the camera.

ETA: Also agree with looking for tips from Camera Jim - that's where I learned a lot of my photo tips.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 26 of 42
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I agree with @equid0x about the problems with mixed lighting - it'll confuse the camera.

ETA: Also agree with looking for tips from Camera Jim - that's where I learned a lot of my photo tips.

Yes, also someone else mentioned not to use a flash and I agree with this. The only time I would say to use a flash would be if you have those professional flash lightposts that are synced with the camera. 

Here is an example of what my pics look like. They actually seem a little dark lately as I think the cheap-o LEDs are starting to dim:

DSCF1622-768x576.jpg

I use 3 x 6500K light sources.... 2 pointed at the subject from the front, from different directions, and another pointed generally over the subject and background(infill lighting) from above. 

The backdrop is a matte plastic shower curtain from IKEA. Obviously, I need a new one! Actually, I would like to upgrade and build an actual lightbox to set on this table, but haven't found the time to do it. 

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

I use Corel Paintshop to edit photos as it's easy to use and can correct many things.  I just edited this photo in just a few minutes

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:

I use Corel Paintshop to edit photos as it's easy to use and can correct many things.  I just edited this photo in just a few minutes

Originally, I tried to use gimp plugins to white out the background, but kept getting unsatisfactory results and stopped doing it. At least for the stuff I photograph it would be much easier to use a green screen. 

Is there a plugin for paintshop that you used for the background or is that a built in feature?

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

It's built in.  Depending on the picture I can either use  flood tool to make my background one color or use a paint brush.  See the two pictures.  The first is unedited and the second one is after

Message 30 of 42
latest reply