cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my listings aren't showing in search results

when I do a simple search of stompers 4x4 my 2 listings are not in the search results... they only show up if I type the first 2 words in the listing title. They should have more views but now have bids so I can't edit anything to get hits.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: my listings aren't showing in search results

@tattooannie 

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "simple search," I searched for "stompers 4x4" (without the quotes) in "All Categories." No other filters, no other categories. Both your listings appeared in the search results.

I then searched for "stompers 4x4" (again, no quotes) in the "Toys and Hobbies" category. Again, no other filters or categories beyond "Toys and Hobbies." Both your listings appeared in those search results as well.

Just FYI, that's what I'm seeing when I perform a couple of pretty basic searches, and, frankly, that's how I usually search for items other than books.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I pulled up your 1st item and copied your search keywords. When I clicked on the category it is listed in and searched it pulled up your item and a promoted listing for it. When I clicked on the ebay logo and went to the main page to do a broad search it pulled up 279 items and your item was not in the list. On the right side I notices the broad search was only pulling items from a upper sub category. The 1st screen shot shows the correct category search with your item coming up. Then the 22n shows the broad search witch only pulled results from the upper category .

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I am sorry I thought I was seeing double results because I did not look at your 2nd item. It was not a promoted listing I was seeing but your 2nd item in the 1st picture.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

While the actual toy made from 1997 to 1999. It looks like eBay decided the toy should be in a different category perhaps from the original date Toyota released the actual truck in the 80's

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@tattooannie 

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "simple search," I searched for "stompers 4x4" (without the quotes) in "All Categories." No other filters, no other categories. Both your listings appeared in the search results.

I then searched for "stompers 4x4" (again, no quotes) in the "Toys and Hobbies" category. Again, no other filters or categories beyond "Toys and Hobbies." Both your listings appeared in those search results as well.

Just FYI, that's what I'm seeing when I perform a couple of pretty basic searches, and, frankly, that's how I usually search for items other than books.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

thank you!!

I'm limited to phone searches right now and it forces me to the app and so many features are buried there that it's not showing when I simply search stompers 4x4.

multiple searches from multiple devices here are not getting the results you got, I'm relieved to read it. thanks again

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I have an opinion about Search*.

I suspect that if you Search on a particular keyword and then repeat the Search, the items you saw the first time are assumed to be unwanted and therefore do not repeat.

So the more often you search for "stompers 4x4" the more items you will see, not in absolute numbers but in different order or just different items.

Because in some categories there may be so many applicable items that eBay can't show them all.

Are you willing to read every one of 125,967 cell phone case listings?  How about 1,348?  Still too many?

And another opinion*, while the default Search is  Best Match, the second most popular is Lowest Price First, and the third Lowest Price plus Shipping.

And those will show different items too.

*I buy my opinions wholesale from a seller in Guangdong, who gives excellent service.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

7:30 am - EST - 11/30 - I can not find the OPs items.

Searched Stompers 4x4 - 279 results - none the OPs

Then switched it up and tried Stompers 4 x 4 putting spaces in - 286 results - so 7 people weren't being seen with 4x4 put together - but none of the 286 results were the OPs.

This search was done on a totally different browser - signed out.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

3 eyedfish confirms than that not all items are being shown to buyers because Ebay is filtering even though the buyers didn't specify it.  This is due to the AI which thinks that they know  what a buyer wants to see - so although others on the boards may always be able to find your items doesn't mean that buyers can and explains one of the reasons for lower sales on the platform. This is not the only platform that uses AI but venues elsewhere that do use this type of "intelligence" are also having lower sales.

It also explains why the lower priced item that you are shown after you've already purchased an item wasn't found in your first search as it may have been in a different category than what Ebay filtered to for your convenience.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

3 eyedfish confirms than that not all items are being shown to buyers because Ebay is filtering even though the buyers didn't specify it.  This is due to the AI which thinks that they know  what a buyer wants to see - so although others on the boards may always be able to find your items doesn't mean that buyers can and explains one of the reasons for lower sales on the platform. This is not the only platform that uses AI but venues elsewhere that do use this type of "intelligence" are also having lower sales.

It also explains why the lower priced item that you are shown after you've already purchased an item wasn't found in your first search as it may have been in a different category than what Ebay filtered to for your convenience.

Nailed it! AI, the root of all our problems! I dislike AI intensely and it's obviously mutual.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thank you all for this feedback! I'd have replied sooner but, go figure, I'm not receiving notifications of replies and the community pages don't seem to be accessible via the app.

I'm not a fan of AI determining what one may want to see when they search. This burns up, I want to see the full results of what I've searched to have the opportunity to narrow it down myself.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Exactly this - but 'ebay knows best' ya know
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I sure wish my items were showing up easier. They should be in these searches you've done. thank you for taking the time.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Unless the reply actually flags you as @tattooannie   eBay doesn't bother you with constant additions to threads.

Which is a Good Thing.  I get enough emails from various sites as it is.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply