cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

military buttons identification

I am trying to identify these military buttons to sell on ebay, but I can't find out what they are. there is a button and then a piece which seems to fit on post of button. the piece says scovill. Any help woyld be greatly appreciated. Thank you, KarenIMG_0882.jpgIMG_0883.jpgIMG_0884.jpgIMG_0885.jpgIMG_0886.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: military buttons identification

@soundinteresting 

Looks like a Navel officer dress uniform buttons to me. Anyone else?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@soundinteresting 

Ok, so I asked Hubs as he was a Navel Officer, he said they are probably Navel because of the anchor and probably used on dress coats which he never had because of where he was stationed.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Hi there,   Not an expert but I do sell in buttons and military.  Those are uniform Navy Buttons. I can not tell from the pictures but it looks like a hard rubber  and brass. If they are hard rubber it would date them from the 1850s to the early 1900's. The rubber should have an additional mark(patent or makers)on them if they are rubber. I also can not tell which way the eagle is facing from your pictures on the bigger eagle button. That also makes a difference. If you do an outer search you should come across a few military button forums. There is good reference information on the forums.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@soundinteresting 

Ok, so I asked Hubs as he was a Navel Officer, he said they are probably Navel because of the anchor and probably used on dress coats which he never had because of where he was stationed.

Um... a 'Navel' officer? 😁

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@itsjustasprain 

Oops! Auto correct at it's finest! But hubs does like my belly button!

😆

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

CORRECTION: Naval officer or Navy officer...( all the miss- spelled words in this forum we see everyday, and I get teased about "Navel"!!! LOL!)

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thanks so much for all the info. Now I have a place to start. Appreciate it, Karen

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

thanks for all the info. They are definitely metal, not rubber, with no markings. They actually look pretty new. I will google around and see what I can find. Thanks for your help. Best, Karen

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I specialize in uniform buttons.

All are from visor caps.

From L to R (your second photo): standard US Navy officer's pattern; US Coast Guard; US Naval Medical officer.

In your forth photo, there are WWII US Army officer's buttons (Great Seal of the United States).

All appear to be WWII era, but it is difficult to date them precisely without seeing the backmarks.

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for all that information. So very helpful. The visor buttons have no markings on actual button. Are the scovill discs with posts supposed to be placed on top of button post? Or are they backing for something entirely different. They are not screw posts and only push on one way. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply