cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

listing removed for VeRO violation

I just had a listing removed for VeRO violation, and received a serious threat from eBay that I could be suspended if I violated the rules again.

It was a listing I had posted many times before, for a baseball cap, which mentioned that the expansion tab in the back used velcro.

Two questions:

- can I relist the item safely if I just remove the description of the expansion tab?

- is there another term I can use to describe the tab, so people will realize what it is?

Just out of curiosity, I did a search for "velcro" in "Clothing, Shoes, & Accessories" and found over 31,000 listings that used the term in a generic sense, as my ad did. Apparently, this paranoia on the part of Velcro, Inc. is a fairly new thing. But those 31,000 sellers are in for a shock.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: listing removed for VeRO violation

Yes, they are aVERO member and often folks use Velcro as a generic term for fabric hook and loop fasteners.

You cannot use the term in your descriptions particularly if you are in their radar for it already

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

vrykalak- sorry you got hit with this. Velcro has been strictly enforcing this for years and hardly a month goes by that we don't see someone on the boards talking about how their listing was removed for using the term Velcro.

The proper generic term is "hook and loop fastener".

I wouldn't relist the item. If I did I'd wait a good 6 months, create a new listing from scratch with a different title, different photos, and revised description that did not include the term velcro.

There are a few threads around here with several common terms that you can't use. If you do a quick board search for velcro I'm sure you'll come across them.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

... Two questions:

- can I relist the item safely if I just remove the description of the expansion tab?

- is there another term I can use to describe the tab, so people will realize what it is?

Yes, you can.  Just remove the term "Velcro".

As noted above, "hook and loop" fastener.  Even LLBean uses that term:

llbean velcro as hook loop.png

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

1. Remove the word Velcro from BOTH your titles and descriptions.

2. Show a closeup picture of the expansion tab; let the picture do the describing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

I just had a listing removed for VeRO violation, and received a serious threat from eBay that I could be suspended if I violated the rules again.

It was a listing I had posted many times before, for a baseball cap, which mentioned that the expansion tab in the back used velcro.

Two questions:

Just out of curiosity, I did a search for "velcro" in "Clothing, Shoes, & Accessories" and found over 31,000 listings that used the term in a generic sense, as my ad did. Apparently, this paranoia on the part of Velcro, Inc. is a fairly new thing. But those 31,000 sellers are in for a shock.

This happened to me last year in October...I'd e.mail the VeRo...there must be a link to Velcro company as they sent me a letter in my e.mail box... send them a e.mail to apologize, explain you didn't know and will not even use that word again...then I'd go through all my listing's REMOVE ALL VELCRO's... replace with loop and latch fasteners...trade mark company responded to me and said this word...that is all over the listings on eBay is never to be used at all in any form or part of the listings unless you are selling their trade mark square patches only...!!!  It's has been 9 month's of out of the loop from that mistake for me...couldn't afford to keep the store and slow as a snail...long recovery...sorry this has happen to you, your not alone...I've been down here in the cold seller called eBay discussion board to help get this message out, with all my now free open time from NO SALES!!   This word was suggested to me for the open feed line on the listing page form to relist items at the time of all things...!

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

just for info.........listings have been taken for years for using the word Velcro......

And so have listings using "onesies"........

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

I find this utterly ridiculous. Its clear you werent attempting to violate VERO by calling the back of a baseball cap velcro. Ebay needs to be a little more forgiving.  I am tired of their witch hunt attitude toward sellers. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@pauliesthriftshop2016 wrote:

I find this utterly ridiculous. Its clear you werent attempting to violate VERO by calling the back of a baseball cap velcro. Ebay needs to be a little more forgiving.  I am tired of their witch hunt attitude toward sellers. 

This isn't eBay doing this.  It's the Velcro brand who is a vero member.  They rightfully don't want their brand name used to describe products that aren't using their brand. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Ebay allowed them to do it. Thats all I am saying. You would think Velcro would want people to be more familliar with their brand name and product. Its just pure greed because they think they should make money when that name is used. Thats all I am saying. 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

eBay didn't hunt anything. The trademark owner did, and eBay is obligated to take the listing down at the request of the trademark owner. eBay can't "forgive" it; what do you expect them to do, send the OP an email telling them to change the wording? What are the odds that a) the seller would read the email, b) the seller would realize it's authentic, and c) actually make the change in a short period of time?

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Ebay allowed them to do it. Thats all I am saying. You would think Velcro would want people to be more familliar with their brand name and product. Its just pure greed because they think they should make money when that name is used. Thats all I am saying. 

Umm yeah eBay allows it because misusing the name would violate copyright laws so eBay is following law   And yes I'm sure Velcro Wants people familiar with their name.  When it's THEIR product. They don't want items to be sold as being THEIR product when it's not.  And it can have more do so then with just money it can also do with quality. If the product is poorer quality then Velcro and it gets sold under their name it can make their brand wrongfully look bad 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

It is a legal agreement that listings disputed by Video members be removed. It is then up to the seller and the Veo member to hash it out. It keeps ebay out of that legal fray. This was the response to a long time ago dispute in court and this was the agreed result

EBay really does not have a choice with this

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Ebay allowed them to do it. Thats all I am saying. You would think Velcro would want people to be more familliar with their brand name and product. 

If the company doesn't defend their trademark, they lose it. That's how trademark law works. Maybe read about it before posting about it.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Thats great so just DONT call it velcro dont talk about velcro to anyone. 

I intend to never buy anything genuine velcro ever again just based on this ridiculous conversation!

Message 15 of 31
latest reply