cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a way to hide my account on my listed items from users not logged in and specific uses

I have some ebay stalkers that troll the items I sell.   I'm wondering if ebay has any privacy settings that would allow buyers to only see my account name if they are logged in.  It would then be nice to be able to hide my account info or listed items from specific accounts.  

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: is there a way to hide my account on my listed items from users not logged in and specific uses

Probably people he knows, and he doesn't want them knowing his business -- what he owns and what $$ he's taking in.

The OP should not share the OP's username with such people, or sell items on eBay that those people already know the OP has that might allow them to link an eBay account to the OP.

If those people already know the OP's username, the OP should create a new eBay account with no apparent connection to the old account or to the old items that might be recognized if listed, and keep the OP's connection to the new account name from anyone that might share it with those people.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: is there a way to hide my account on my listed items from users not logged in and specific uses

Would be glad to do it as a courtesy to an eBay friend, but if there is financial recompense involved, I could do a better job of it, based on past experience.  

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Yes, I am aware of that.  So what would the OP's goal be in keeping people from perusing his listings, even if all they could do was look at his things? 

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

"Looking at your items shouldn't harm you in anyway."

I guess that was my point, but perhaps I was too subtle.  

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Do you understand what the OP's purpose would be? He is not complaining about people bidding or buying, as I understand it.  His complaint is that they are able to view his listings.  What kind of damage does that do? 

Who knows? Maybe these people are harassing him on social media or in person. We've seen all kinds of crazy stories on this forum. I remember one not that long ago where someone's ex was harassing them about their eBay listings, trying to claim ownership of the product, trying to break into their house to steal the items.

You'd have to ask the OP if they are willing to share that level of information on why they are asking.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@vitameatavegamom wrote:

Probably people he knows, and he doesn't want them knowing his business -- what he owns and what $$ he's taking in. 

Been reading the thread, and can weigh in on this a little bit...

I had a friend (back when you could see what people bought) that had a stalker ex reporting his purchases of remote control cars to CRA so everything could be taxed coming in. At that time sellers were often willing to undervalue the shipment, but with the listings he bought being passed to CRA, they were waiting for all his shipments. Once that started, it never stopped (since CRA had his account info at that point).

At my work people make disability claims and are not allowed to "work for wage or profit", which includes an online business. My company also requires all employees to report the nature of their online business (or ad hoc selling situation on FB MP and stuff like that). If they know who you are on eBay they can look at your listings (see if they're active, and what you've sold) which will complicate your disability claim.

We also have customers making claims with us claiming they can't work who sell stuff online. We will pay 3K for an investigation to unearth all social media accounts, any online selling activities and pretty much anything we can use to deny your claim with us if we find anything in it to be untrue.

Your comment above about not wanting a business partner to know what he owns and is selling is a good theory. It could also be an ex who is trying to make a spousal or child support claim who is using sales information to further their case for said claim. Or maybe someone collecting unemployment or some other type of social security or welfare doesn't want them knowing how much is being sold (perhaps a disgrunted ex reported this info to them). In Canada welfare is very interested in every cent you get from an online business.

In my case of preferring to keep a low profile, I don't tell people my user ID (if they know me in my everyday life) because I don't want people to see what I'm selling, what I have, see what I've sold, see how much money I'm making, and other none of their business type of stuff. Just like I don't give my address out to people (there's nothing of value here, but I don't want to be subject to a home invasion by someone trying to steal my century old postcard collection, which is one of a few things I don't store at the shop where I work).

So there are many reasons, we just don't know what the OP's issue is (and shouldn't pass judgment on their reasons for wanting privacy).

C.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

"Looking at your items shouldn't harm you in anyway."

I guess that was my point, but perhaps I was too subtle.  

Depends if you're hiding something.

In my case I intentionally don't do any sort of social media or online stuff (other than eBay) so people like my employer can't pay a company to dig up dirt on me.

If you only saw what I saw coming through my email at work... you'd think twice about broadcasting on the internet. Of course we do this for a reason, and there's money involved, and the determination is that they're not entitled to money from us.

C.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply