cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to handle a return/exchange?

Hi,

I recently sold an item and accidentally sent the buyer a similar item instead of what she actually bought.  When she got the item, she opened a return saying that the item she sent was not the one was what she thought she was purchasing (although she put doesn't fit as the return reason).  I realized my mistake, apologized, and told her I could send her the correct item and would give her a partial refund if she could send the wrong item back.   I guess I wasn't thinking that by having her send the wrong item back, now ebay returns thinks I need to refund her whole order, when actually I exchanged it for the correct item.   Is ebay going to automatically close the return and give me a defect?. Could the buyer do this?  Would ebay customer service actually be helpful with this?  Please advise what I should do to avoid getting the defect, preferably without inconveniencing the buyer.  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: how to handle a return/exchange?

I think the only cause for concern is if the buyer chooses to escalate the claim. If the buyer is satisfied with the partial refund and shipment of the correct item then they should not take any action on the case and eventually it will time out- takes about a month.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I think it times out if the buyer doesn't use the eBay return label.  Mine did and I am getting reminders to issue the refund.  These emails also say if I don't refund " the buyer can ask us to step in and help, or we may refund the buyer using your automatic payment method."  I got positive feedback from the buyer, so I know she's happy, but I'm afraid ebay is going to force a full refund.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I would just approve the return which will allow the buyer to use the return shipping label paid by you to return the wrong item, and at the same time ship the correct item to the buyer and include in cash whatever refund amount you agreed upon.

Let the buyer know all your plans whatever you do.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The buyer has five days to ship something back and if there's no return tracking then you can call eBay to have the case closed out in your favor. That will eliminate the option for the buyer to escalate.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I guess I'm not being clear.  The buyer already shipped back the wrong item with the eBay label.  I am being told repeatedly to refund the buyer by today.   How do I stop ebay from issuing a refund when it was actually exchange.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

This was what I did, but ebay wants to force a full refund.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@margies_deals wrote:

I guess I'm not being clear.  The buyer already shipped back the wrong item with the eBay label.  I am being told repeatedly to refund the buyer by today.   How do I stop ebay from issuing a refund when it was actually exchange.

Then I would issue the refund in full and let the buyer repurchase the item again.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@margies_deals wrote:

Your first post was clear enough- I just missed the part about the buyer returning the first item. I don't know if there's a way for the buyer to close it out on their end since you issued a partial refund.

Was the partial refund connected to the original transaction? Did you send it directly through PayPal?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@margies_deals wrote:

I had a case like this on an exchange. Once the new item was delivered I called CS and explained what happened. Have all of the tracking numbers available so they can verify everything. CS then immediately closed the case with no refund.

If, as others have suggested, you just wait for it to time out you may find that eBay misunderstands what happened and issues the refund. They did that to me once which is why I now do what I said above.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply