cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can someone buy an item with Buy it now, and not pay?

I'm curious about how this can happen, why ebay doesn't ask payment, how does it get marked as sold. it wasn't an offer.  I know i should've selected Immediate payment required, maybe I forgot. but still, How can a buyer do it this way... I'm intrigued, I've never seen the option as buyer

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: how can someone buy an item with Buy it now, and not pay?

All my buyers have to pay because I use Buy it Now with Immeadiate Payment Required. 

The only time they don't have to pay immediately is if best offer was accepted.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Unless you use immediate payment required, the buyer can buy the item and have 4 days to pay.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

When you sell at  fixed price you can either choose immediate payment, or not.  I do NOT have immediate payment required, as non-payers have never been a problem for me.  I've had maybe seven or eight over the past 20 years.  I allow buyers five days to pay, and 99% will pay either immediately or within a few hours.

For sellers that choose immediate payment required, the item is not sold until the buyer actually pays.  It's either sold and paid, or it isn't.  There is no "sold awaiting payment" status.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

How does this happen?  Easy.

Buyer decided to buy your item and used "buy it now".

Since you don't have IPR (immediate payment required) enabled the buyer has 4 days to pay.

The buyer ends up not paying.

That's how this happens.

Do you have any recourse?  Yes.

Cancel the sale after 4 days. Reason: Buyer did not pay.

This will give the buyer a strike.

After 2 of these strikes sellers can block this buyer.

Block this buyer so they can't buy from you again.

Re-list the item.

Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

That is why eBay added the setting to require payment right away.  Too many buyers were clicking buy and never paying.   They have been adding it to make offers also.   They just can't resist that bid/buy button.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I don't have immediate payment required but out of over 1000 sales I have made on this store only once (for the first time ever) did somebody buy it without immediately paying (just the other day). This is because I don't do auctions or best offer. The person that didn't pay eventually requested a cancellation anyway (so it worked out for me I didnt have to void a shipping label that I tend to create right away).

I guess since I dont require immediate payment first they click "buy" then they click "pay". People who require immediate payment would have buyers select their payment method before hitting "Buy".

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

As a side note...there is a good reason the "require immediate payment" is optional. I have buyers that buy multiple items at once. Not having that checked allows them to put them all in their cart and pay one time. This makes it easy for shipment.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

i do this too, so this was a surprise for me, i think the option was deselected, and I didn't see. It should stay like that for all, it's annoying having to check if it's or not. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

i always do immediate payment required, but in this case it might have been deselected and I didn't notice. Now i will double check every time. so annnoying. Yes I have had problems with non-payers. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@effie*s_trinkets wrote:

i always do immediate payment required, but in this case it might have been deselected and I didn't notice. Now i will double check every time. so annnoying. Yes I have had problems with non-payers. 

I always use immediate payment required.

A few years ago, got an order, but no payment.

Checked my payment policy and they had turned off the immediate payment, so you might check your listings

Have a great day
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@effie*s_trinkets wrote:

I'm curious about how this can happen, why ebay doesn't ask payment, how does it get marked as sold. it wasn't an offer.  I know i should've selected Immediate payment required, maybe I forgot. but still, How can a buyer do it this way... I'm intrigued, I've never seen the option as buyer

The seller must choose the "Immediate Payment Required" option. It is is not automatic.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@pcobra93 wrote:

As a side note...there is a good reason the "require immediate payment" is optional. I have buyers that buy multiple items at once. Not having that checked allows them to put them all in their cart and pay one time. This makes it easy for shipment.

I believe you can still use IPR and buyers can use the shopping cart to check out with multiple items.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 13
latest reply