cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has ebay fixed the "manage make offer settings" yet? THIS SHOULD BE A PRIORITY!!!

The reason for this is that I did NOT want this option, and yet it was added to ALL of my auctions with out my permission, and it sends messages to me for ridiculous low offers far below my lowest expectation for an auction. seriously.

This being fixed so that we can manage ALL our make offer options in ONE location, is a MUST, as this is harassment as far as I am concerned at this point, and is a very easy way for a customer to actually harass sellers, adding just one more option customers have to screw over sellers, just like the fact we can not leave neg feedback for a terrible self entitled buyer to warn others to avoid them. People who have unrealistic expectations for delivery, or use the threat of negative feedback to extort money and products from sellers, NEED TO GET NEGATIVE FEEDBACK at the least, if not jail time, as this is blackmail and here in the USA, blackmail is ILLEGAL and CRIMINALLY proscutable.

one solution? fix it all? make the feedback more of a mini "forum" posting like PHP bulletin boards where each one expands to show dialog right there, in the open between customer and seller, with no way to retract or delete the details unless it is submitted and both buyer and seller click accept to allow removal, or deletion. that way, you can see when something went wrong, and maybe someone clicked something too quick, then it was resolved in a good way, how it all went down. period. the best sellers, are not those who have no hickups in their past, but rather those whom have, and handled it excellently for the customer, and this sort of info in public view, would make far greater trust bonds for new customers able to see this information.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: has ebay fixed the "manage make offer settings" yet? THIS SHOULD BE A PRIORITY!!!

Actually, eBay adding the BO option to auction style listings is somewhat problematic.  Once a bid is placed the BO option should become inactive and any offers already made but not yet accepted become void.  This is to avoid a seller accidentally accepting an offer once a bid is placed which could lead to legal issues for the seller in some states. 

Imagine you are a seller and receive an offer, but before you can accept it someplaces a bid on the item being sold at auction.  If you accepted the offer, the bidder could, in some states, file a complaint with states auction board accusing the seller of failure to conduct the auction in good faith.  In states that require auctioneers and auction businesses to be licensed, this could be costly for the seller.

Of course, eBay because they are merely a venue would not take the brundt of the action.  However, I tend to believe that adding the BO to auction style listings was an ill conceived scheme on eBay's part.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: has ebay fixed the "manage make offer settings" yet? THIS SHOULD BE A PRIORITY!!!

Next thing you know Easy Pricing will be forced added and we will be asked to take $5 for a $50 item.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

eBay should not be adding a best offer anywhere.

what adk is saying is completely right. Buyers ARE getting angry because sellers are refusing good offers, I’ve been seeing a number of threads about it. Many buyers will not complain, they will just get frustrated and leave.

Furthermore eBay is pulling this stunt on less experienced ebayers who don’t know how to undo it. This is wrong on so many levels. It’s bad for newbie sellers and bad for buyers.

This is part of eBay’s recent push to monetize everything short term and who cares who it drives away. I don’t understand why eBay is making so many anti buyer changes.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Furthermore eBay is pulling this stunt on less experienced ebayers who don’t know how to undo it. This is wrong on so many levels. It’s bad for newbie sellers and bad for buyers.

From the announcement link (Oct 2017)  -  Click Here

Recently, eBay began adding Best Offer to fixed price  and auction-style listings. Based on previous tests, we found this feature drives higher sales conversion, especially in cases when the starting bid or fixed price is set higher than the recommended price.

In auction-style listings, the option for a Best Offer disappears after the auction receives its first bid.

It does not sound like a "stunt"?  It sounds like it is data driven and tested to provide more successful transactions not less?  Someone earlier in this thread had concerns about best offer and auctions getting bids and it looks like eBay has addressed this as well. 

Also the last sentence in the announcement says this - There are no plans to enable this feature for business sellers.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I completely agree that ebay adding best offer to a seller's items when that seller has no intention to lower the price is a big turn off to buyers. 

If a seller has auto rejection for a penny or a dollar less, then it seems disingenous and just a fake ploy to get a buyer's attention.  A buyer does not know this was added by ebay.  So if this is being done just because ebay is adding the BO against a seller's will, then hopefully that seller can do something other than set those auto rejection fields.

I have a new ID with only 2 sales so far and none of my listings have had BO added against my will.  I only list with the advanced listing form, so if that is why, then all sellers should do that to solve this problem.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

They may benefit in the short term but these anti buyer changes are driving long term powerbuyers like me away. When buyers have their reasonable offers rejected many times by sellers who don’t want them, those buyers may leave.

IMO eBay is putting short term profits ahead of business integrity. Also it is impossible for eBay to hold other variables static so I’m doubtful they could have true research on this specific change.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

From the announcement link (Oct 2017)  -  Click Here

Recently, eBay began adding Best Offer to fixed price  and auction-style listings. Based on previous tests, we found this feature drives higher sales conversion, especially in cases when the starting bid or fixed price is set higher than the recommended price.

In auction-style listings, the option for a Best Offer disappears after the auction receives its first bid.

It does not sound like a "stunt"?  It sounds like it is data driven and tested to provide more successful transactions not less?  Someone earlier in this thread had concerns about best offer and auctions getting bids and it looks like eBay has addressed this as well. 

Also the last sentence in the announcement says this - There are no plans to enable this feature for business sellers.

Good Luck Selling!

I'm not quite certain what sort of testing they did, but they probably should have had their legal team review the auction laws in every jurisdiction that they do business in before instituting a program that could cause legal complications for some of their sellers.

While if as stated the BO option disappears with the placing of the first bid, there would seem not to be a problem.  However, what about the person making an offer and then finding out the offer became void because it was't accepted by the seller before a bid was placed.  I can imagine that that person isn't going to be happy.  Nor will the seller if they wanted to accept an offer but a bidder placed a bid for the opening bid amount before they could accept the offer.  If the item sells for the starting bid price, I'm pretty sure the seller isn't going to be pleased.

As far as not enabling the feature for business sellers, there is a fine line between what is and isn't a business.  I'm not too sure that eBay is the one that gets to decide that in the end.

I would advise any licensed auction business owner to check with their state's licensing authority before listing anything for sale at auction here on eBay.  Even those that are not required to be licensed might want to check their state's auction laws just to be on the safe side.  Remember that while eBay is not an auction business those sellers selling at auction on it are required to follow the laws of their own state when doing so.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 22 of 22
latest reply