cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ending an auction early

I have just listed an item and quickly got a bid.  When I looked at the auction, I realized I had the condition as 'like new', from the drop down menu.  I don't have a clue how I did that, but  I did.   I'm reluctant to even show something as 'Very Good', let alone 'Like New'.  I did describe any flaws,but nonetheless, I don't want to misrepresent anything.

Since I can't revise the item, I tried to end it early and relist.  When I do, Ebay states ----

" you are not the seller for item (). Only the seller is allowed to cancel a bid on a listing. If you are the seller, please sign out and try again. "

I have tried this 3 times now, using my ID or my email address - won't work.

I get this message despite the fact, when I started the process, Ebay showed all my auctions so I could choose the one I wish to end.  If they didn't recognize me as the seller, why would they do that?

I'm  not sure what to do now.

Can you only contact Ebay by phone?

Thanks in advance,

Booksbasically

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: ending an auction early

You can try logging out, clearing your cache, then logging back in. If it still does not work you can call customer service - click on the 'help + contact' link at the bottom of the page.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for answering.

I have tried that and it doesn't work.  Actually, I did it using both my computers and no luck.

I did read that you can contact the bidder and explain to them the situation - and allow them to cancel the bid or cancel it yourself.

Have you had any experience with something like this?  I have been away from Ebay for a while and am trying to learn it all over again - I didn't know you could contact a buyer like you once did.  I may try it, just to see.

Thanks,

Booksbasically

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@booksbasically wrote:

I have just listed an item and quickly got a bid.  When I looked at the auction, I realized I had the condition as 'like new', from the drop down menu.  I don't have a clue how I did that, but  I did.   I'm reluctant to even show something as 'Very Good', let alone 'Like New'.  I did describe any flaws,but nonetheless, I don't want to misrepresent anything.

Since I can't revise the item, I tried to end it early and relist.  When I do, Ebay states ----

" you are not the seller for item (). Only the seller is allowed to cancel a bid on a listing. If you are the seller, please sign out and try again. "

I have tried this 3 times now, using my ID or my email address - won't work.

I get this message despite the fact, when I started the process, Ebay showed all my auctions so I could choose the one I wish to end.  If they didn't recognize me as the seller, why would they do that?

I'm  not sure what to do now.

Can you only contact Ebay by phone?

Thanks in advance,

Booksbasically

This post won't solve your main issue but may give you some insight into you secodnarday issue which I have highlight via bold text - http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-condition.html  Look into teh  imbedded links to find more info.

The only two categories" where "like new"   can be used is in Books and CD, DVD, Video games, etc.  If the item in question fits into one of these  then  it was probably a 'slip of the mouse click"    I've done, especially  when my concentration on the listing has been interrupted.

As suggested by another poster -  jus gotta' keep calling eBay to  fidn someone wo  can "really" help.  i have had best luck (no a  gurantee ) reaching a US based representative when I  call CS first thing in the morning when eBay wakes up - we live in the ET zone - I think it is  about 7 AM our time when I call..

GL

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Were you trying to cancel from within My eBay or the lising itself? If so, try this:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

Good luck!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your help and it was help - I got some good information.

I actually held my breath and emailed the bidder.  He quickly emailed back, it's fine - so that's good.  There is another watcher, I just hope if someone else bets the bid, they are as understanding.

Again, your answers were a help - If this happens again - and I hope it doesn't, I won't panic.  I lost a full night's sleep over this.  Silly, I know.

Thank you all again,

Booksbasically

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@booksbasically wrote:

... He quickly emailed back, it's fine - so that's good.  There is another watcher, I just hope if someone else bets the bid, they are as understanding....

You always have the option to end the auction  early to sell to the current high bidder.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

So how does this work - offering it to the high (only) bidder?

Are there any reprecussions from Ebay?

Have you ever done that?

Truly, I don't seem to know the rules anymore ---

Do I remember correctly, in the olden days on Ebay, you couldn't revise or change an auction after a bid was made, but you could 'add' something to the listing? 

Thanks

Booksbasically

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

If an auction has bids and has more than 12 hours left, you can still ADD images or a description section; you just can't change the original material.

If the auction has more than 12 hours left, the "End early" link above takes you to a page where you choose between (1) sell to the current high bidder or (2) cancel all the bids and end with no transaction. (If you currently have an auction that fits those parameters, you can use the link to see these options without going forward with the cancellation.)    

If you choose to sell to the current high bidder, it's not an "offer," it's the same Sold transaction as if the auction had ended the usual way at its scheduled ending time.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Thanks,

It fits the parameters to be able to cancel the bid and the auction and relist.

I have gone through the process, but at the end Ebay states that "you are not the seller and only the seller can do this."

Ebay absolutely knows I am the seller.  During the process, it shows all the items I have listed and tells me to choose the one I wish to end.  Then for some reason I am not the seller.

I don't know why Ebay would do such a thing.  I have tried the process with my ID, my email address, clearing my cache, and using either of my computers. 

But thanks so much -

The one who has bid on the book is OK, but there are other watchers and I just would like to clear it up and not have problems.

Booksbasically

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@booksbasically wrote:

....  During the process, it shows all the items I have listed and tells me to choose the one I wish to end.  Then for some reason I am not the seller....

Did you try the link that I provided above?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Wow!  You are being so patient with me.

Yes, I did try it and got the 'you are not the seller'.

But I did want to thank you again, I was able to make an addition to the auction - explaining the problem and that relieves my mind somewhat.  I hope the buyer reads to the bottom -

I don't know why I thought Ebay no longer allowed that.

Again, thank you for your patience and help.

Booksbasically

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Customer support helped me end a listing that was getting the "you are not the seller for item" message. I got that message when using the "end your listing early" link on my item's page.

Support said there was a temporary glitch using that link – and to use a different path. You receive similar questions about cancelling the bids and listing, but the pages look slightly different.

Hover over "my eBay" near the top right and click on "Selling".

Near the bottom of the page under "Active Selling", find your item (don't open it!)

On the right side of the item line, click on "more actions", then "end item".

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@zamenhof

It's very nice of you to want to be helpful, but this post is from March 2016.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for pointing out the timing of the original posting. I received the same error message as the original author today (30-October-2017). When I searched for the error message, this thread was the first result shown. As far as I could tell, the original author was not able to resolve the issue. Perhaps this alternative method of ending a listing will be helpful to the next person who searches for the same error message.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply