cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay "buyers" are precisely why I'm closing my store in 2023

A "buyer" asks for me to send additional photos for a listing.  I'm hesitant.  At first, I thought it was because the specific photos being requested are already present in the listing.   But then I realized it was because this is ebay and I already knew from plenty of past experiences that this would ultimately wind up being a complete waste of my time. 

But, I do my professional duty and take the photos and send them.  Then I get a reply from the "buyer".  The "buyer" then asks for a completely different set of specific photos because he/she asked for the incorrect specific photos he/she wanted in the first email by mistake.  So I take the second set of photos and attach them to another reply.  This is all occurring on Thanksgiving morning by the way.

Then I get another set of replies from the "buyer".  First, can we complete the sale on instagram.  Second, then tries to renegotiate the price to a lower one on a listing that has no best offer option available and a listing description that specifically states all prices are firm.  I did not reply to either message of these final messages from the "buyer".  

I was right in the first place.   Total waste of my time.  Because this is ebay.  Because this is precisely what I get from "buyers" like this on ebay.  All too often.  I never encounter any of this type of nonsense anywhere else I sell.  Only on ebay.

So, while I wasted my time as I knew I would, I am thankful on this Thanksgiving that I am still on track to be completely gone from ebay in 2023. 

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: ebay "buyers" are precisely why I'm closing my store in 2023

Dear Lord... there is a simple solution:

Block the annoying self absorbed moron and move on with life.

I enjoy blocking these types of idiots because I KNOW that blocking them annoys the heck out of them 😂

They're self absorbed!  Of course it's gonna bug them! 

... and it all brings a smile to my face 😁

Message 46 of 53
latest reply

I've been selling online on all the venues since around 2007, it absolutely, positively 100% has to do with the platform, no doubt about it.  Ebay is the worst of them all with their terrible management.  All of these venues have the exact same buyer protection which basically mimicks a credit card charge back policy.   I.E.  Not as described = undo transaction by forcing return, Unauthorize is defended by showing ebay told you to send an order and you did so in good faith etc...  But it is only on ebay that they post policy everywhere suggesting that ebay houses shifty, no good, not to be trusted sellers doing business at night in a dark alley under a dimly lit street light while twisting his moustache.  But not to worry, you have big momma Ebay there to have your back and protect you from all these low life sellers that they house on their own platform.

Ebay used to be good.  I would buy merchandise and know it would have a 100% sell thru rate.  I'd have nothing left over.  I made money hand over fist.  Now I question my sanity, I should have cancelled the store by now, it doesn't make anything.

It is only on ebay where I get constant questions, haggling to lower the price, or worse yet "I forgot to put my correct address, can you just send it to this other address".  couple that with the suggestion by ebay themselves you'll get robbed but don't worry because buyer protection.... Sellers getting ripped off by these policies, this scenerio and the seller immediately suspecting the buyer is up to shenanigans with a planned "Item not received" claim coming down the road.

That is what this platform is now, and has been since that clown John Donahoe ruined the company all those years ago.

Message 47 of 53
latest reply

"There may be a trend in the world right now where people are becoming more entitled, but to me that just means that seller's customer service skills (and patience dealing with random stupidity) are what is going to set them apart from other sellers and make them very successful on this site (as well as others)."

What I see with this increase in entitlement isn't resolved with better customer service.  Some of it would be best resolved with 5 ACROSS THE EYES.  I.E.  Videos on youtube with the people (They're always young) putting their entitlement on full display even in front of their co-workers as they order something from Door Dash or Uber Eats, get it delivered in front of everyone, then claim they never got their food so they get their money back.  The only reason we know about it is because the drivers go back to confront the theives on video.  That is prevalent in our society now, that doesn't get resolved with better customer service.

Message 48 of 53
latest reply

@eiketsu wrote:

1) I haven't posted any new listings in 2023.

2) Last time I checked, 2023 has 12 months in it, just like every other year.  February is month #2 out of 12, so 10 months still remain.

3) Stalking is unwanted and/or repeated surveillance by an individual or group toward another person.

4) Since I am still paying seller fees to ebay, I will now contact seller services and see if the seller representative finds you surveilling me and my store months after a post, and when I never replied to your previous message either, to be appropriate or not.

Don't even bother, ebay doesn't care.  You're a seller, they wouldn't even try to save your account if you threatened to cancel like the cable company would.

Message 49 of 53
latest reply

Oh dont feel bad, at least it was just pics. Which I too no longer accommodate. I tell them my item is not the one their looking for since their uncomfortable with the pics I have on there n to go buy brand new. Which I also list everything as used pretty much anymore even if it is new. What’s getting me is my Top Rated Status is now in jeopardy because of one return that I tried to work with the buyer on but ebay decided to fast track everything on his behalf. He literally admits in multiple feedback on his account that he has returned a ton of items, claiming he dont know how ebay works. I have thousands of dollars worth of designer goods and toys that I sell on here. He’s the only return I’ve ever had n it was over a toy truck cuz apparently he can’t read or look at pics, all totally MY FAULT obviously. I’ll likely be migrating my items next month to other platforms if I do lose top rated to an admitted scammer.  Best of luck. Go with your intuition tho, no pics. U know what you’re doing. They are not the only person who will be interested even though they think they are lol. I had a lady 3 hrs after I posted a doll say, u have no bids I’ll buy her at this cost. I laughed n kept pushing. I have a bid this morning with 23 watchers, nice try. 

Message 50 of 53
latest reply

All of the top sellers are saying stuff like that and worse now ebay changed Shipping rules and charges 30 to 40 percent of sale . The antiques bottles seller showed his invoice of a 18 dollar bottle he sold and at the end of it somehow he owed six dollars.  Alot of sellers are saying when they changed the program it has many glitches.  Also they are just dropping sale posts by the thousands.  I was thinking of starting a online store but now I am scared to .  

About what you were saying I have seen hundreds of videos of this and I believe it is a scam by buyers to double the money or inventory because eBay makes the seller refund the money or item or both unless special circumstances.  So if someone does this with every item and works it out that it's not on record.  They could make alot especially if they live with or work with an ebay moderators. 

Message 51 of 53
latest reply

Im reducing the amount of items now that I list because ebay does not .meet my standards.

I like facebooks fees of 5% better than bays 20% fees and no crybabies created by the ebay culture.

Message 52 of 53
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 53 of 53
latest reply