cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay offers no real seller protection

ebay offers no Sellers Protection.

I had a customer file a return claim, falsely stating that item was not as described. My ad clearly states what was included in listing, my return and shipping policy, and photos.

I just got off phone with ebay customer service. She said if customer fills out return claim, and marks it as "Item Not as Described", it automatically gives refund and seller is out shipping cost in both directions. They do not have humans review ads or communication between buyers and sellers. "Ebay no longer litigates or gets in the middle of most disputes. They do not make a judgement"

what the h#!! are we paying ebay for???

So this means if I buy a non-returnable sexy dress, it arrives, and I dont look sexy, but I look fat, I can claim that item is not as described??

I only want fairness, and this means ebay MUST review each case, and no automatic ****bleep****

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: ebay offers no real seller protection

@18704d wrote:

"I had a customer file a return claim, falsely stating that item was not as described. My ad clearly states what was included in listing, my return and shipping policy, and photos." OP - 

-------------

But eBay knows.. that is not proof...

That you actually sent,and the buyer received..

the exact item pictured in your listing.

fwiw,

Lynn

Then why is anyone a seller on e bay ? If those at the helm  have so much mistrust in their sellers  that it  forces them to always take the side of the buyer  then why bother selling here at all ? You'd think if a seller had been here for years and had run an honest business with plenty of good feedback and ratings as proof  that it might account for something . Tulips 

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

seller protection? What's that?
Message 17 of 30
latest reply

@playstoomuch wrote:

ebay offers no Sellers Protection.

I had a customer file a return claim, falsely stating that item was not as described. My ad clearly states what was included in listing, my return and shipping policy, and photos.

I just got off phone with ebay customer service. She said if customer fills out return claim, and marks it as "Item Not as Described", it automatically gives refund and seller is out shipping cost in both directions. They do not have humans review ads or communication between buyers and sellers. "Ebay no longer litigates or gets in the middle of most disputes. They do not make a judgement"

what the h#!! are we paying ebay for???

So this means if I buy a non-returnable sexy dress, it arrives, and I dont look sexy, but I look fat, I can claim that item is not as described??

I only want fairness, and this means ebay MUST review each case, and no automatic ****bleep****

Sorry this happened . The same thing just happened to a friend of mine who also sells on e bay .She got her first negative  feedback because she refused to cave in to feedback extortion . E bay wouldn't help her either .Tulips 

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

sneakers023
Adventurer

I agree 100% with what you're saying. I just got off the phone with a Customer Service Rep. I explain that the Seller have no protection as well. I sold a pair of Air Jordans that I know were real and the sell opened up a case saying that they were fake. I explained to the buyer that I he/she were to do his/her research they would see that they were real. EBAY allowed the buyer to open up a case and charge me a return shipping fee of $8.05 when my listing stated that the Buyer pays for returning Shipping cost. The Rep. told me to call back when I receive the Item back and dispute what the buyer is say, I explained that some buyer instead returning the item you ship to them they send back a fake and get away with it because EBAY no longer have a No Return Policy nor do they have a restocking fee, which would prevent buyers from stealing on EBAY's Site.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

Several sellers, including a powerseller with a YouTube channel I'm subscribed to, have said that ebay cs told them that all INADs will be treated as true from now on no matter what. It doesn't matter if you have proof, even when the buyer admits that it was their fault in their Ebay messages.
Message 20 of 30
latest reply

@everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures wrote:

There really is no such thing as a no return policy so best to change that.

It doesn't seem to matter whether you have the most liberal returns policy or none at all these days because most buyers still choose INAD for returns anyway. So I don't see any point to a return policy beyond painting a big old target on your back.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

There really is no such thing as a no return policy so best to change that. everything from trinkets - unquote 

So true , there isn't . I still believe that most people are good . However I would dread the day that every con man and con woman in the U.S . begins to use e bay as their free rental playground  with the sellers paying for  it  all .  I'm pretty certain  in that event  the lights would eventually  go out  and  never  come back on again. Tulips

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

@necessaryindulgencejewelry wrote:
Several sellers, including a powerseller with a YouTube channel I'm subscribed to, have said that ebay cs told them that all INADs will be treated as true from now on no matter what. It doesn't matter if you have proof, even when the buyer admits that it was their fault in their Ebay messages.

Okay - I'll get the switch . Tulips 

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

@18704d wrote:

"I had a customer file a return claim, falsely stating that item was not as described. My ad clearly states what was included in listing, my return and shipping policy, and photos." OP - 

-------------

But eBay knows.. that is not proof...

That you actually sent,and the buyer received..

the exact item pictured in your listing.

fwiw,

Lynn

Then why is anyone a seller on e bay ? If those at the helm  have so much mistrust in their sellers  that it  forces them to always take the side of the buyer  then why bother selling here at all ? You'd think if a seller had been here for years and had run an honest business with plenty of good feedback and ratings as proof  that it might account for something . Tulips 

Because most of us are here to sell and have livings to make and businesses to work and know it has nothing to do with mistrust or anything else. We know what ebay says their policies are and this is their site and do not make it anything more than that.  Nothing ebay does is personal even though some try to make it personal or choose to take it personal.
EBay is just a platform/website/a tool we use....and they all have rules.....just as you ge to make the rules for your own business on your own site or B&M location if you have one.....ebay get to make the rules for their business....and all freely choose to be here. We/You chose to agree to them and use the site or not.

EBay has millions of sellers, selling and millions of buyers buying.....and we are here for that not to try to make ebay something it is not or to try to run their business. We are running and working our own...and using ebay for what it is.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

There really is no such thing as a no return policy so best to change that. everything from trinkets - unquote 

So true , there isn't . I still believe that most people are good . However I would dread the day that every con man and con woman in the U.S . begins to use e bay as their free rental playground  with the sellers paying for  it  all .  I'm pretty certain  in that event  the lights would eventually  go out  and  never  come back on again. Tulips

And yet it  hasn't happened .....even though there are a few overall/small fraction of the millionsof transactions dailty. But this happens on all sites. It is part of doing business just as B&M stores have had to deal with it as well as shop lifters and everything else.

This is a part of the business we chose to be in...so we just deal with it

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

@7cageycat wrote:
I completely agree with you. I just had a situation with a buyer & contacted customer service many times to get advice on how to deal with them. 1st time: Told I didn't have to agree to the return (item could NOT be re-sold). Item was insured so I asked for photos & didn't receive them. 2nd time: Told that no photos had been sent even though buyer claimed to have sent them. That to protect my seller status, I should go ahead & send out more product to replace what they said was damaged. I did this but let them know I wasn't happy. Then all of a sudden my account said I agreed to the return. 3rd time: I must have "accidentally" pressed a button to agree since they couldn't have done that but don't worry because they won't send out a return shipping label without reviewing the account & they will see that I entered another tracking number & the buyer agreed to that. 4th time: The return label is generated automatically so ebay can't stop it but they might issue a gift certificate to cover the cost of having the item shipped back. Also that once a retun request is initiated the label is ALWAYS sent to the buyer whether the seller agrees to accept the return or not. As to all the contradictions from customer support. They WILL NOT issue transcripts of the phone calls even though they are recorded. When asked WHY the customer service rep did not tell me the return label would be generated regardless...they can't comment. Then when I got angry & hung up. They decided the case for the buyer & plan to take even more money out of my account even though they KNOW I sent more product out via the tracking. The buyer lied in writing in messages that Ebay can review & they still sided with them.

If you fly the returns accepted banner, the the label is automatically generated, because you take returns for any reason.  

I see you don't take returns, so this was a SNAD.  That overrides your no returns policy and the label is automatically generated, but I believe you can just refund.

Buyers are not required to send photos.  Some do, some don't. 

I believe there was a lot of sellers fighting returns when they claimed they took them, and that was why the option was automated in this way, to take the buyer abuse out of the equation.  

Sorry this happened to you. You can check with this Board if you have issues like that again.  People here will help you.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures wrote:

@turquoisetulips wrote:

And yet it  hasn't happened .....even though there are a few overall/small fraction of the millionsof transactions dailty. But this happens on all sites. It is part of doing business just as B&M stores have had to deal with it as well as shop lifters and everything else.

This is a part of the business we chose to be in...so we just deal with it

The difference being if a shop lifter is caught at a B & M they are generally prosecuted regardless of the dollar amount.

On eBay if a theft happens, eBay reward the thief.

Sorry it is NOT the cost of doing business, when eBay enable a thief.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

This is a part of the business we chose to be in...so we just deal with it- everything from trinkets - unquote --

The 30 day return[ seller pays the shipping ]  is still something pretty new  and already  some sellers  have been  cheated   because of  false snads . Most of us aren't big time sellers and so to have to pay the shipping fees on top of a full   refund after a buyer  changes their mind  or files a false snad  can really hurt .There's been some new information regarding in  the future  that e bay intends  to assume every return is legitimate even when  in the face of proof that its not . I felt I had no choice but to accept  the  free 30 day returns or lose place in search as well as my TRS . My acceptance  has already cost me close to 100 dollars since the onset . One hundred dollars is sometimes all the money  I can make in one week.  However as you say - we have chosen to sell on e bay and must accept their  policies or move on,, but from the looks of things  that is what some sellers  are already doing . That's life . Tulips 

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

they could ask for pictures and compare....
Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Sellers are not obligated to accept returns.

Sellers are obligated to make refunds.

Your objection is that you want the buyer to pay for return shipping, while she wants you to pay return shipping.

It comes down to 18 cents a minute.

That's the minimum wage where I live.

How many of those 18 cent minutes have you wasted arguing about this?

Get the item back, in saleable condition*, relist, and Block the buyer.

Now let me tell you the Good News about Cookie Jar Insurance.

This is just marking a small amount, a few pennies or a dime, as a self-insurance premium.

Those virtual pennies go into a virtual Cookie Jar.

When you have a problem, use the Cookie Jar to cover your costs.

No angst. No phone calls to Customer Service.

Most sellers using CJI report it as a profit centre, just like a real insurance company.

Note: if you are having problems with more than 1% of your transactions, the problem may not be the customer.

*More likely when the customer is content with her treatment.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply