cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay offers no real seller protection

ebay offers no Sellers Protection.

I had a customer file a return claim, falsely stating that item was not as described. My ad clearly states what was included in listing, my return and shipping policy, and photos.

I just got off phone with ebay customer service. She said if customer fills out return claim, and marks it as "Item Not as Described", it automatically gives refund and seller is out shipping cost in both directions. They do not have humans review ads or communication between buyers and sellers. "Ebay no longer litigates or gets in the middle of most disputes. They do not make a judgement"

what the h#!! are we paying ebay for???

So this means if I buy a non-returnable sexy dress, it arrives, and I dont look sexy, but I look fat, I can claim that item is not as described??

I only want fairness, and this means ebay MUST review each case, and no automatic ****bleep****

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

You're paying for your listings to be viewed and possibly bought.

Not as described falls under the MBG.  That overrides your no returns policy.

We don't know what listing you are referring to, or what it said and what the buyer claimed, so no one knows whether or not the listing was as described.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

They have have never said they offer seller protection for anything not as described.And they never have offered it.Only seller protection is for false not received claims(uploaded tracking shows delivery to address on order)

Your return policy only applies to admitted buyer error/remorse return requests.Not as described  puts it into buyer protection which trumps your policy.

Ebay generally finds for buyers as to retain them since they can not accurately ajudicate a he said she said dispute that has no access to item before and after it was shipped..Photos do not prove condition on either end as they can be faked

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

@playstoomuch wrote:

{snip}

I only want fairness, and this means ebay MUST review each case

If you carefully read eBay's Seller Protection policy, you will find you are really only protected in two cases:

1) Against an Item Not Recieved case - but only when the tracking is provided correctly; and

2) Against having to refund twice - but only if the first refund is done correctlycorrectly.

In every other case, the fine print says that eBay has the final say - and that you will abide by eBay's decision.

As for wanting fairness - I want a lot of things that I will never get.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

@playstoomuch wrote:

I had a customer file a return claim, falsely stating that item was not as described. My ad clearly states what was included in listing, my return and shipping policy, and photos.

I just got off phone with ebay customer service. She said if customer fills out return claim, and marks it as "Item Not as Described", it automatically gives refund and seller is out shipping cost in both directions. They do not have humans review ads or communication between buyers and sellers. "Ebay no longer litigates or gets in the middle of most disputes. They do not make a judgement"

So this means if I buy a non-returnable sexy dress, it arrives, and I dont look sexy, but I look fat, I can claim that item is not as described??

I only want fairness, and this means ebay MUST review each case, and no automatic ****bleep****

I suppose you believe someone can't look sexy and fat, based on your comment.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

You're paying for your listings to be viewed possibly be shown and possibly bought.

We don't know what listing you are referring to, or what it said and what the buyer claimed, so no one knows whether or not the listing was as described.

Good Luck

I made a slight change for you on what we pay for.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

You are paying for the chance to play ebay seller roulette.  Maybe they will show your item, maybe you will get a buyer, maybe your buyer will be happy, maybe your buyer will keep the item, maybe your buyer won't file a SNAD claim,  maybe your buyer will keep the item and you get to keep the money. 

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

You're paying for your listings to be viewed possibly be shown and possibly bought.

Good Luck

I made a slight change for you on what we pay for.

No worries, I stand corrected.  I thought of that while I wrote that, but just left it at viewed.  Maybe hopefully viewed?Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

"I had a customer file a return claim, falsely stating that item was not as described. My ad clearly states what was included in listing, my return and shipping policy, and photos."

-------------

But eBay knows.. that is not proof...

That you actually sent,and the buyer received..

the exact item pictured in your listing.

fwiw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

I completely agree with you. I just had a situation with a buyer & contacted customer service many times to get advice on how to deal with them. 1st time: Told I didn't have to agree to the return (item could NOT be re-sold). Item was insured so I asked for photos & didn't receive them. 2nd time: Told that no photos had been sent even though buyer claimed to have sent them. That to protect my seller status, I should go ahead & send out more product to replace what they said was damaged. I did this but let them know I wasn't happy. Then all of a sudden my account said I agreed to the return. 3rd time: I must have "accidentally" pressed a button to agree since they couldn't have done that but don't worry because they won't send out a return shipping label without reviewing the account & they will see that I entered another tracking number & the buyer agreed to that. 4th time: The return label is generated automatically so ebay can't stop it but they might issue a gift certificate to cover the cost of having the item shipped back. Also that once a retun request is initiated the label is ALWAYS sent to the buyer whether the seller agrees to accept the return or not. As to all the contradictions from customer support. They WILL NOT issue transcripts of the phone calls even though they are recorded. When asked WHY the customer service rep did not tell me the return label would be generated regardless...they can't comment. Then when I got angry & hung up. They decided the case for the buyer & plan to take even more money out of my account even though they KNOW I sent more product out via the tracking. The buyer lied in writing in messages that Ebay can review & they still sided with them.
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@playstoomuch wrote:

You pay to list and sell.
You need to take some time to read ebay's and PayPal policies....money back guarantee and buyer proptection policies specifically. Your no return/refund policy will only make buyers file disputes instead of allowing you to resolve the issue on your own...and it will ding your seller performace if you do not resolve it on your own before ebay steps in. There really is no such thing as a no return policy so best to change that.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@7cageycat wrote:
I completely agree with you. I just had a situation with a buyer & contacted customer service many times to get advice on how to deal with them. 1st time: Told I didn't have to agree to the return (item could NOT be re-sold). Item was insured so I asked for photos & didn't receive them. 2nd time: Told that no photos had been sent even though buyer claimed to have sent them. That to protect my seller status, I should go ahead & send out more product to replace what they said was damaged. I did this but let them know I wasn't happy. Then all of a sudden my account said I agreed to the return. 3rd time: I must have "accidentally" pressed a button to agree since they couldn't have done that but don't worry because they won't send out a return shipping label without reviewing the account & they will see that I entered another tracking number & the buyer agreed to that. 4th time: The return label is generated automatically so ebay can't stop it but they might issue a gift certificate to cover the cost of having the item shipped back. Also that once a retun request is initiated the label is ALWAYS sent to the buyer whether the seller agrees to accept the return or not. As to all the contradictions from customer support. They WILL NOT issue transcripts of the phone calls even though they are recorded. When asked WHY the customer service rep did not tell me the return label would be generated regardless...they can't comment. Then when I got angry & hung up. They decided the case for the buyer & plan to take even more money out of my account even though they KNOW I sent more product out via the tracking. The buyer lied in writing in messages that Ebay can review & they still sided with them.

Oh they can review cases but that doesn't mean you are  going to win them.
And ebay has already given you the information on how return/refunds will be handled. It is up to you to read the information ebay gives you.
EBay also gives you information on the money back guarantee and how disputes/cases will be handled. And yes you agree to all of it.
Ebay also doesn't care about photos and buyers are not required to send them anyway nor do they care he said he said issue.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

As much as we like the idea of Ebay stepping in and litigating each disagreement between buyers & sellers, that isn't really reasonable. IF we expected that of them, they most likely couldn't do it on what we're paying them now in fees.  As Castle said, we are paying for a small space on one of the largest auction sites, with millions & millions of buyers. 

That's not to say that I agree with all case outcomes. More & more we are hearing of dishonest buyers creating new ways to scam the system. I agree that remorse returns should not be considered the same as true defects. But the flood-gates have opened on that issue, and  I am not sure it will be fixed anytime soon. So sorry if you are on the unfair side of this right now OP. I know it is beyond frustrating. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

You're paying for your listings to be viewed and possibly bought.

Good Luck

At least you HOPE you are.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures wrote:

@playstoomuch wrote:

You pay to list and sell.
You need to take some time to read ebay's and PayPal policies....money back guarantee and buyer proptection policies specifically. Your no return/refund policy will only make buyers file disputes instead of allowing you to resolve the issue on your own...and it will ding your seller performace if you do not resolve it on your own before ebay steps in. There really is no such thing as a no return policy so best to change that.

The only seller protection sellers need is protection from eBay and that ain't gonna happen when you sell on eBay.

Buyers can only do what eBay allows to happen.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 15 of 30
latest reply