cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay needs to bring back to Sellers rights to leave Negative feedback to buyers' that don't pay.

I'm seeing more and more complaints about buyers that don't pay. Ebay use to allow sellers to leave negative feedback if a seller has had a bad experience. Those rights have been taken away.  Buyers have now really taken advantage of the situation. Especially when it comes to not paying for item purchased. Resulting sellers to try to collect or end up missing a window of opportunity for them to make an extra seasonal larger profit off of an item.  In some cases, it also gives the option for the buyer to find time for a better deal.  Reflects on the buyers making them look cheap. The seller also has to take the extra time to relist. What happens when we don't make a car payment, mortgage payment, water, electricity, IRS, credit card bills, amongst other things. Sellers right to leave a negative comment, would make the buyers pay. No excuses. 

Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

ebay needs to bring back to Sellers rights to leave Negative feedback to buyers' that don't pay.

@rugerskick wrote:

Ebay needs to be as proactive against bad buyers as they are bad sellers.

Ebay proactively deals with bad sellers.  They do a "pontius pilate" and leave it up to sellers to block bad buyers, they won't do anything about.

Yes they do and yes they are.  You are assuming they don't.  Ebay is just not going to report to you or me what buyers they have sanctioned or how.  Anymore than they tell us what they have done with sellers.

With the decreased time and the ability to file Cancellations for non paying buyers, it made it easier for sellers to react to a non payer AND get them on Ebay's radar at the same time.  That coupled with having their Buyer requirements set to the strictest setting will really help most sellers.  But the need to use the tools given them.

Here on the threads we see some sellers come through being sanctioned by Ebay for one reason or another.  But it isn't Ebay telling us as they don't share private account info.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 121 of 129
latest reply

Typing in all caps may be easier for you, but it makes the rest of us feel . . . Clearly you are able not to you just choose not to.

CORRECT!  MY PREFERENCE IS THE FASTEST REPLY.   REFER TO YOUR EARLIER OPINION REGARDING EMOTIONAL REACTION; ITA.  AGAIN, NO OFFENSE INTENDED.

The problem with payment on Make an Offer is going away in the near future.  Ebay is currently testing this.  Where buyers for Auctions and Make an Offer are require to put in a payment source.  Have you looked at your Buyer Requirements lately?? 

LAST REVIEWED MY BUYER REQUIREMENTS 4-6 WEEKS AGO.  NO UPDATE THEN WILL LOOK AGAIN.

DO NOT send invoices to a buyer.  Every time you send an invoice it resets the 96 hour clock in which you can file for a Cancellation due to non payment.  If you want to remind them, send a MESSAGE.  A polite and professional message.

GOOD INFO.  THANKS!

It is a FOUR day process.  So while annoying, if you stay on top of the issue, don't send invoices, you can file for a cancellation for non payment 96 hours after their purchase.  Then you are free to relist it and sell it to someone else.

ASIDE ANNOYING, IT DELAYS & REGULATES HOW & WHEN I WORK.  BURNING 4 EXTRA DAYS ESP SUX CONSIDERING THIS IS A NON-PAYING NON-PERFORMING BUYER.  NOPE I DON'T AGREE W/ THIS KID GLOVE APPROACH FOR A BUYER WHO FLAUNT THE RULES: 2 DAYS/48 HOURS IS A FAIRER DELAY IMO.

If you have issues with buyers discovering how low you will go for someone to purchase your items, then don't offer Make an Offer.  Just lower your pricing to whatever works for you with no make an offer option. 

. . . OR PERHAPS EBAY CAN CREATE SAFEGUARDS TO PREVENT THIS TYPE OF BUYER SHENANIGANS.  I.E. MIRROR THE CONTROL GOVERNING HOW SELLERS MAKE OFFERS TO BUYERS.  RECENTLY HAD A BUYER MAKE 4-5 OFFERS ALL IN 1-2 MINS ISO MY LOWEST MIN ACCEPTABLE OFFER.👎  UGH!  ESP THIS TYPE OF CONDUCT CIRCUMVENTING BUILT-IN SAFEGUARDS SHOULD NOT BE SANCTIONED.  PERIOD.

You seem to be a little fuzzy on the rules.  IPR is NOT now nor has it every been intended to cover Make an Offer.  Have you ever visited the Policy page on this so you could learn more about it?

GRANTED BCZ BOTH NAMES ARE SIMILAR ... TOO SIMILAR?   HOWEVS, THIS PROBLEM IS REAL & TOO MANY SELLERS ARE WRESTLING WITH IT.   THE CONCEPT OF IMMEDIATE PAYMENT & IPR S/H/B INCLUDED WITH MAKE AN OFFER FROM DAY 1, THOUGH IT WAS NOT.  BUY IT NOW WAS MUCH MORE DEVELOPED UPON IMPLEMENTATION BY COMPARISON.  WAS FEES THE MOTIVATION FOR LEAVING THIS GAPING WHOLE UNADDRESSED?🤔  I.E. ALL FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE.

If you wait the extra day before filing for your cancellations due to non payment, that is your choice to make and not a fault of the system.

EBAY ENFORCING A 4 DAY PROCESS IS THE PROBLEM.  95% OF BUYERS NEVER PAY.👎  WAIT?  WHY?

WHAT?  I thought you said the buyer didn't pay??  If they didn't pay how did you get charged a payment processing fee of 30 cents???  I don't think you understand this policy either.

RE-READ IT ... I STATE FEE AS IN THE .30 CENT NON-REFUNDABLE LISTING FEE.  PROMOTION FEE NOW ASSESS WHEN PAYMENT IS MADE THANKFULLY.  INITIALLY FEES GENERATED PRIOR TO PAYMENTS.  SMH.

If you review your Buyer Requirements as I pictured above.  And if you look at the first option for non paying buyers.  If you have yours set to the strictest possible it would be 2 in the past 12 months.  So if a buyer has 2 or more they will be blocked from buying from you and an message will appear on their screen telling them that.

YES.  BUYER REQUIREMENTS WERE LONG AGO SET TO THE STRICTEST ALLOWABLE.

If you are getting such a large quantity of non payers, then you should take a look at just not allowing make an offer anymore and just don't bother with it.

REPEAT:  OR PERHAPS EBAY CAN CREATE SAFEGUARDS TO PREVENT THIS TYPE OF BUYER SHENANIGANS.  I.E. MIRROR THE CONTROL GOVERNING HOW SELLERS MAKE OFFERS TO BUYERS.  RECENTLY HAD A BUYER MAKE 4-5 OFFERS ALL IN 1-2 MINS ISO MY LOWEST MIN ACCEPTABLE OFFER.👎  UGH!  ESP THIS TYPE OF CONDUCT CIRCUMVENTING KNOWN SAFEGUARDS SHOULD NOT BE SANCTIONED NOR ALLOWED.  

As to feedback, which is what this thread is actually about.  Leaving a negative FB for a buyer is an emotional reaction to a Business transaction and has no place on a site like this, which is why the option doesn't exist.  Other similar sites also don't allow this, all for good reasons.  It is very bad for business, yours and mine.  It scare buyers away and more likely the good ones because they don't want to risk you have a bad day and take it out on them too.  

AGAIN, REFERENCE YOUR MSG REGARDING EMOTIONAL REACTION TO MY REPLY IN ALL CAPS.  YOU FELT FREE TO STATE THIS PUBLICLY ON EBAY'S MSG BOARD YET YOU DENY SELLERS THIS FREEDOM BCZ YOU ASSUME SELLERS WILL BE NEG VERSUS FACTUAL?  FYI: THE MULTIPLE OPTION BOX EXIST AND SIMPLE FB SELECTIONS DENOTING SUPERB, GOOD, STANDARD, SUBPAR CAN BE LIMITED OPTIONS.  EBAY SH/ CAST ASIDE THIS CLOAKING POLICY OF BUYER MISCONDUCT (AIDING & ABETTING IMO) IN FAVOR OF MODERNIZED TRANSPARENCY . . .  A DULY MORE EFFECTIVE WATCH DOG W/ A MODERN TWEAK!  AMAZON HAS HAD GREAT SUCCESS IMPROVING COMMUNICATION & TRANSPARENCY VIA THE MULTIPLE BOX OPTION.👍  ONLY NON-PERFORMING BUYERS WILL BE SCARED OF PLAIN VANILLA FB.  THE EBAY COMMUNITY WILL BETTER FOR BOTH THEIR DEPARTURE & SELLER'S FB IN THE LONG RUN!

Message 122 of 129
latest reply

I wish you nothing but the best, however I did not read your post above beyond the first paragraph.   I wish you the best, sincerely.

FYI, my original response to you was not "emotional", it was factual.  Eye strain is a real thing for many of us.  And I'm an old broad, it gives me a bit of a headache.  

Message 123 of 129
latest reply

The feedback system needs to be done away with all together. It's a waste of server space. Negative feedback is usually removed with one tearful, dishonest call to eBay customer service, whether the feedback is legitimate or not.  I don't waist 30 seconds of my life writing feedback anymore.  It's a relic that needs to be done away with.  Who reads it anyway?

Message 124 of 129
latest reply

@youre_gonna_look_fabulous wrote:

The feedback system needs to be done away with all together. It's a waste of server space. Negative feedback is usually removed with one tearful, dishonest call to eBay customer service, whether the feedback is legitimate or not.  I don't waist 30 seconds of my life writing feedback anymore.  It's a relic that needs to be done away with.  Who reads it anyway?

Getting negative FB removed is no where near that easy.

Most similar sites still have FB for sellers but they have done away with FB for buyers.  I do wish Ebay would go that direction too.

Message 125 of 129
latest reply

Yes, I know the original message is 7 months old.

But I have a question for the OP: Are you not cancelling, citing buyer did not pay as your reason, if the buyer hasn't paid in 96 hours?  

Message 126 of 129
latest reply

If buyers not paying is a huge hindrance to your ebay business then I hate to break it to you, but you are doing it wrong. 

It makes me think you are running a lot of auctions. Most full time sellers and business sellers run no auctions at all. 

@bryo_3145  Looking at your sales history it shows that 90 percent of the time your auctions don't even get a single bid.  You have 1300 completed auctions in the last 90 days and only 143 of them even got bids. And going through your most expensive sold items I found only 1 thing that even got more than 1 bid.  And I didn't see anything that I would have chosen to auction. 

Your inventory is much better suited to an all buy it now store. That will make 98 percent of your non-payment issues vanish. The other 2 percent who accept offers and don't pay cost you about 5 seconds of clicking to renew the listing.

A store format would likely greatly improve your sales as most people would rather just buy that magazine then wait a week to see if they won it.

Message 127 of 129
latest reply

You are wasting your time by bring this thread back  ,since the Op has moved on. 

Message 128 of 129
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 129 of 129
latest reply