cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay needs to bring back to Sellers rights to leave Negative feedback to buyers' that don't pay.

I'm seeing more and more complaints about buyers that don't pay. Ebay use to allow sellers to leave negative feedback if a seller has had a bad experience. Those rights have been taken away.  Buyers have now really taken advantage of the situation. Especially when it comes to not paying for item purchased. Resulting sellers to try to collect or end up missing a window of opportunity for them to make an extra seasonal larger profit off of an item.  In some cases, it also gives the option for the buyer to find time for a better deal.  Reflects on the buyers making them look cheap. The seller also has to take the extra time to relist. What happens when we don't make a car payment, mortgage payment, water, electricity, IRS, credit card bills, amongst other things. Sellers right to leave a negative comment, would make the buyers pay. No excuses. 

Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

Re: ebay needs to bring back to Sellers rights to leave Negative feedback to buyers' that don't pay.

@cynndo wrote:

I was able to leave negative feedback up until 5 years ago. 

Not as a seller.  That stopped in May 19, 2008.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2535726/ebay-feedback-changes-take-effect-may-19.html

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 76 of 129
latest reply

Re: ebay needs to bring back to Sellers rights to leave Negative feedback to buyers' that don't pay.

@bryo_3145 wrote:

Exactly what large corporations want? 

I'm not a large corporation and I certainly support it.  Why do you want to leave FB for a buyer?  It doesn't mean anything anymore, so why waste your time.  I'd rather spend my time doing other things.

Message 77 of 129
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

Even simpler, with no interaction required, is to simply enable the option to automatically cancel orders for non-payment at your desired timeframe (we're much more lenient because we can afford to be, but for most sellers that would be at the 96 hour/4 day mark).  That option is available at this page:

https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase

True, but the auto method will not open a cancellation as fast as a seller will manually.  The Auto function always takes several hours or more longer.  But if it works for a seller, it is a good option.  I prefer to open my own.

Message 78 of 129
latest reply

If you were leaving negative feedback for buyers as recently as that, you could only have been leaving positive (green dot) FB with negative wording.  If that's how it was, those buyers could have reported that FB.  eBay would have removed it and left that green dot as well as have given you a defect.  

If you were not given a defect, and were not really aware of the rule, then you were -- the next word should have been "fortunate", but that does not seem to fit for a seller who evidently flaunted the rules.  

Message 79 of 129
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

Let's say a buyer walks into an auction house like Sotheby's and bids an item up, and then wins. It's okay for that buyer to walk out and not pay. 

Let's say a buyer starts to bid on a storage unit and bids the storage unit up, then wins the storage unit. It's okay for that buyer does not have to pay and walk away. 

What would you do? Especially if you were the seller, or the next person in line to get that item or unit. 

So, get rid of the auction concept?  So, the buyer has their way at the seller's expense? 

No comment

Interesting.  Who exactly said this was good behavior or acceptable???

I also don't think many if any talked about getting rid of auctions.  I personally like it as an option for a seller to choose to use or not to.  Now those that are getting hard hit with non payers, it is logical to suggest to them that they might consider using Fixed price listings with IPR.  Just good advice.  It is up to the seller to take it or continue as they have been.

Message 80 of 129
latest reply

@dogofwar777 wrote:

You're right. I remember dealing with a buyer who was straight up nasty and left me a negative saying what I sent was damaged, yet refused to send pictures or return the item. I was able to leave him negative feedback also. I then noticed this buyer was doing the same to lots of other sellers so they hammered him with negatives also. This guy disappeared when his FB rating plummeted. He probably changed his name on here, but I never dealt with him again.

That would be something that happened over 15 years ago.  Many things have changed since then.

Message 81 of 129
latest reply

I am not sure of this but I thought that ebay may be working on making bidders provide their payment source prior to a bid. They do this on a few other websites where you cannot send an offer without having your payment info ready to go. That might scare off the one’s who bid without intention to buy.

Message 82 of 129
latest reply

How about buyers can't leave feedback for sellers? Let eBay be the referee!

Message 83 of 129
latest reply

Let everything based on sales and transactions. Items sold. Buyers are based on how many items purchased? 

Message 84 of 129
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

Let everything based on sales and transactions. Items sold. Buyers are based on how many items purchased? 

What good would that information do?

Message 85 of 129
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I am not sure of this but I thought that ebay may be working on making bidders provide their payment source prior to a bid. They do this on a few other websites where you cannot send an offer without having your payment info ready to go. That might scare off the one’s who bid without intention to buy.

They are currently testing making buyers put in a payment source when they make an offer on a listing.  Which insures the seller will get paid if the seller accepts the offer.

I don't believe they have started a similar test on auctions yet.

Message 86 of 129
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

How about buyers can't leave feedback for sellers? Let eBay be the referee!

I think that is born from frustration with the system, not a realistic fix.

Message 87 of 129
latest reply

@bryo_3145 wrote:

For what purpose?

Message 88 of 129
latest reply

@dogofwar777 wrote:

You're right. I remember dealing with a buyer who was straight up nasty and left me a negative saying what I sent was damaged, yet refused to send pictures or return the item. I was able to leave him negative feedback also.

Retaliation. Perfect illustration of why eBay stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback.

Did the seller you left a negative feedback rating for with the comment "Thank you" retaliate in any way? Bet s/he wanted to. Be careful what you wish for.

P.S. Sellers cannot require buyers to send pictures of items in order to meet the requirements of the Money Back Guarantee.

Message 89 of 129
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@dogofwar777 wrote:

You're right. I remember dealing with a buyer who was straight up nasty and left me a negative saying what I sent was damaged, yet refused to send pictures or return the item. I was able to leave him negative feedback also.

Retaliation. Perfect illustration of why eBay stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback.

Did the seller you left a negative feedback rating for with the comment "Thank you" retaliate in any way? Bet s/he wanted to. Be careful what you wish for.

P.S. Sellers cannot require buyers to send pictures of items in order to meet the requirements of the Money Back Guarantee.

Actually Ebay has been testing just that feature.  I like it.  If they file an INAD they have to include a pic.  I hope it goes site wide sooner rather than later.

Message 90 of 129
latest reply