cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay competitor blinks---restores old returns policy

There have been some discussions here about the recent fee change at Mercari (seller fees eliminated, buyer fees instituted instead). At the same time Mercari made that change, they also changed their existing return policy---which had been a 3 day return policy for not as described claims. They changed it to 3 days for "any reason".

While 3 days for any reason would strike many ebay sellers as pretty basic stuff---I myself have a 30 day free return for any reason policy here---it caused an uproar within the Mercari seller community (and presumably a lot of seller departures)

Apparently, enough seller departures---or at least, complaints---to cause Mercari to reverse course. So, Mercari is now back to 3 days for INADs, but not for "any reason". (resinstated policy to be effective May 22nd.)

What impact will this have on other sites, such as ebay? probably too soon to tell, but I'd guess the combination of no seller fees and no buyer remorse returns could draw more sellers to Mercari. 

The question remains: What about the buyers? Will they accept the ever changing buyer fees?

I doubt that this is a major , immediate threat to ebay, but I imagine ebay will be watching developments closely (or at least they should be)

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: ebay competitor blinks---restores old returns policy

Just got that email from them.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Oooo ... 3 Days for INAD is nuts ... I could never deal with that as a buyer.

I am very thankful for 30 day INAD from eBay. I know it shouldn't take long to determine INAD, but I ship to a  PO Box and I don't get to my PO Box every day. Sometimes I go a period of time without going to my PO Box. I sometimes just go weekly because everything shows up at different times and it's easier to make one trip and pick it all up at once. 

I had a $400 purchase (a coin) sitting at my PO Box for about 10 days, when I finally got over there to pick it up, got it home, immediately realized it was a counterfeit. So by Mercari's policy, I'd have to file a chargeback and that's a whole extra process. Geez

Also, if I was on vacation, and had stuff "held at post office by customer request", what then? Clock still starts upon arrival at post office? I believe eBay counts that (held at customer request) as delivered, so 3 days from "delivery" for INAD, what if I'm not coming back for 5 days.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I don't understand why sellers would be upset?
3 days for any reason?   Means the buyer doesn't have to lie to the seller in order to return it.  And seller can re-sell it.

3 days for INAD?  Means the item gets returned because it's not as described (now that the buyer has altered it to be not as described).  And seller cannot re-sell it.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Is there not a fee to get your funds?...from selling items? from them?

And does anyone have the time to repack something and mail it off when they only realistically have time to buy something online and not the time or ride to visit brick and mortar stores?

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

I am very thankful for 30 day INAD from eBay. I know it shouldn't take long to determine INAD, but I ship to a  PO Box and I don't get to my PO Box every day. Sometimes I go a period of time without going to my PO Box. I sometimes just go weekly because everything shows up at different times and it's easier to make one trip and pick it all up at once. 

Yeah, this was my very first thought. Not everyone lives in a place that gets door-to-door mail delivery-- some people might have to drive 45 minutes to pick up their mail and so they only do it once a week. What are those people supposed to do?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Exactly

Just for the record, I have the option of door-to-door delivery, PO Box is optional for me, and it's a very short ride to the post office for me, I'm just lazy LOL

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Personally I would not sell on there if they paid me a fee to sell there.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

The any reason on HERE prevents a lot of fake INADS. The longer return frame, prevents a LOT of potential chargebacks. But hey, if you are planning to sell just garage sale stuff on there guess you can risk that. Me with the stuff I sell no way in heck.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Seriously I do not know why they have continued  with their slim windows for return, making customers submit detailed info for INADS something I think Posh does as well. They are way behind in the industry standards for this stuff and then how the heck do they handle chargebacks on there. . Never sold on there ever. If the truth were know it is their lack of being up to industry standards on there that make buyers Leary of purchasing stuff. If you do not have the confidence of the buyer you will not succeed. Now they are charging these fees to the buyer. I think they are nuts.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Mercari is a great place for sellers... terrible place for buyers. 

As a buyer I generally find that

1) many sellers in categories I buy from have not reduced their prices to pass on the seller fee savings to buyers. Prices at check out tend to be MORE expensive than before the change. 

2) Even if items on Mercari are cheaper than Ebay, its cheaper before shipping taxes and fees. When you add up the final total its very similar final price range as Ebay or a few dollars cheaper.   

3. As a buyer their 3 day return policy is a turn off. With that return policy, I would expect prices to be significantly massively cheaper than Ebay for me to take that risk. 

If you check out reddit there tends to be multiple daily threads of buyers complaining about the buyer fees with screenshots. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Exactly—this is where they are not succeeding. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Seriously I do not know why they have continued  with their slim windows for return, making customers submit detailed info for INADS something I think Posh does as well. They are way behind in the industry standards for this stuff and then how the heck do they handle chargebacks on there. . Never sold on there ever. If the truth were know it is their lack of being up to industry standards on there that make buyers Leary of purchasing stuff. If you do not have the confidence of the buyer you will not succeed. Now they are charging these fees to the buyer. I think they are nuts.

I actually do sell on both platforms, and Posh in particular serves a younger, more active population with a social media format. Mercari has always been just a big garage sale with cheap prices. They both work, though I agree that Mercari charging buyers for fees is silly - even though when I opened back up there I continued to sell. Sales on Posh do very well.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I decided to take a look at Mercari

Took only about a minute to determine that there is nothing that this old man would consider buying or selling there.

I try to avoid customers who would buy what is available there, and am certain they would avoid what I sell.

I would not mind if they steal some sellers from Ebay. The number of sellers unhappy with Ebay might decrease.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Fascinating post, thank you!  -I think you might have missed your calling as a journalist; title that can't not be clicked, and very worthwhile info to justify it.    

Message 15 of 21
latest reply