cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay shipping fees

I just want all sellers to know this piece of information. I have been a seller on eBay for about 10 years. I now see that EBAY charges you as a seller a  percentage of the Buyers postage fee as listed in your ad NOT what Paypal actually deducts From your account for postage. So if you List an item with a certain postage which may be higher than what it could cost you to send you will be charged for the higher postage.I have contacted EBAY about this matter and they refused to change to charge according to Paypal’s fees. The bottom line is that if you charge extra postage to your buyer in order to recoup some of your loss on an item you will be charged more money in fees for that postageEven though you were given the opportunity to change the postage on EBAY’s page at the time of shipping. Let me know if anyone else has anything to say on this matter thank you, EDS

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

eBay shipping fees

Most of the discussion about this fee system took place in 2011 when it was implemented.  

Both eBay and PayPal charge a fee that is a percentage of the buyer's total payment.  It's not connected at all to where you purchase your postage or how much you pay for it.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

eBay shipping fees

Ummmm, the fees have been on the TOTAL sale amount for years.  Nothing new.  

I set my shipping prices to cover the actual shipping + fees + materials.  I set my item prices based on what I think people will pay for the item + shipping.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

eBay shipping fees

@eds1030 wrote:

The bottom line is that if you charge extra postage to your buyer in order to recoup some of your loss on an item you will be charged more money in fees for that postage

And this would be part of the reason eBay instituted the fees on what a seller charges a buyer for S&H.  Sellers were trying to circumvent the Final Value Fee on the item sale price by vastly overcharging S&H with an equally unrealistic low selling price.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply