cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay removed my video game listing for price gouging

This is a rare video game that is no longer made. I had it as $100 which is the going price on ebay, there are lots of other sellers selling it for $130+

. We are aware that this is a video game, but it is obvious that you are taking advantage of the current situation. If you choose to relist this item, please be reasonable with your price. If you do not follow this policy in the future, this may result in the removal of your listings and the suspension of your account.

eBay price gouging policy states: "Items that are considered essential must be offered at a reasonable price"

how is a video game an essential item? Am I no longer allowed to sell rare video games and risk my account being banned for price gouging? My price was fair, and it was the same price as before the virus.

eBay is getting a little ridiculous

Message 1 of 283
latest reply
282 REPLIES 282

@coolections wrote:

We would still need to know the name of the game and the retail price. If it is truly a rare collectable put it on the shelf for now.

Why? People still buy non-essentials. People still participate in online auctions. People still may do what they normally do for the most part. People may even be buying more if they are home all day.

So if we can't sell anything non-essential, what do we have left on here? TP, sanitizer, soap, masks, etc.?

Oh wait - we can't list those.

The OP should be allowed to list what he wants(that is not restricted on ebay), for what he wants to sell it for, to whoever/wherever(if allowed) he wants to sell it to.

Me? I would list it as an auction. But then again, auctions are the only reason I list on ebay. And the only way I list here.

Message 91 of 283
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@earlyant-77 

Michael Jackson dying did not effect anyone and was not a world crises.

What does that have to do with anything? Was he not a public figure? Did he not die?

Gee - I mention those because you, as usual, simply take things out of context.

Message 92 of 283
latest reply

@cynthealee2 wrote:

@coolections wrote:

We would still need to know the name of the game and the retail price. If it is truly a rare collectable put it on the shelf for now.

So if I had an original Atari game that retailed in the 70's for 25  I can't sell it now for 100 because it was 25.00 40 years ago?

His business is selling the rare games. Why do we need to know what the game is? It was pulled for "price gouging" last time most of us checked VIDEO GAMES aren't on ANY state's list of essential items...

The game currently goes for 100 on eBay (and did before Covid started), other sellers have it higher some probably have it lower... average price was and is 100.00.

Retail price when the item was in production and on the shelves has absolutely no bearing on the item NOW.

From the Original Post:

This is a rare video game that is no longer made. I had it as $100 which is the going price on ebay, there are lots of other sellers selling it for $130+

Am I no longer allowed to sell rare video games and risk my account being banned for price gouging? My price was fair, and it was the same price as before the virus.

eBay has been jumping the shark in super slow motion since 2008. This is the landing.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 93 of 283
latest reply

Perhaps some sellers - and platforms - have forgotten that some people DO have some money and CAN buy expensive items, if they want to (not talking 'essentials' here).

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 94 of 283
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@earlyant-77 

Michael Jackson dying did not effect anyone and was not a world crises.

What does that have to do with anything? Was he not a public figure? Did he not die?

Gee - I mention those because you, as usual, simply take things out of context.

No fair confusing Sunshine with facts.

Message 95 of 283
latest reply

@earlyant-77 

I mentioned it because YOU are taking things out of context. Scamming is the worse thing Ebay needs right now. Someone dying before the crises has NOTHING to do with the situation right now.

Message 96 of 283
latest reply

@Anonymous  Thank you for the explanation. It makes perfect sense.

Message 97 of 283
latest reply

I am thinking either eBay personnel, or an eBay bot, made a mistake. And now it’s all a cover-up.

Video games are not essential never have been never will be if you need them because your kids are at home and they’re going nuts well better figure out another way to take care of the kids.

Make a tent fort or something in the living room. Teach your kids some card games. do some crafts together. Use this as an opportunity to engage with them instead of Plunking them in front of a game console, or the TV, so they leave you alone.

This is not gouging. It’s just some entitled whiners thinking they should get everything they desire. 

now essentials? Food, cleaning supplies, medical supplies? Absolutely they should not be making a excessive profit on them.

for the rest that think price fixing is a great thing, grow up and put the big kid panties on.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 98 of 283
latest reply

"Because this item is susceptible to price gouging, it may only be sold by authorized sellers."

So eBay gets to arbitrarily decide who item is susceptible to price gouging and who is an authorized seller? What determines if you're an authorized seller by eBay? What are the conditions to make an item "susceptible to price gouging"?

Just who are these authorized sellers we keep hearing about? 

Message 99 of 283
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@yuzuha  Nothing.

Exactly.  So there is no need for them to be purchasing any games at all, much less a rare, out-of-print collectible game.

Message 100 of 283
latest reply

So, if I've got a rare video game, or whatever. And I need to sell it  to help pay the mortgage (because I lost my job because of a crisis), no can do because little Johnny...no can do. Got it.

Message 101 of 283
latest reply

One last request (from me at least) for @Anonymous to come on back and respond to this absurdness. Lots more confusion since you made that statement. Otherwise I'll see y'all in the eBay community discussion next Wednesday.

Message 102 of 283
latest reply

@heyyoufoundit wrote:

So, if I've got a rare video game, or whatever. And I need to sell it  to help pay the mortgage (because I lost my job because of a crisis), no can do because little Johnny...no can do. Got it.

Sort of seems like eBay is choking sellers during a crisis, doesn't it?

Message 103 of 283
latest reply

This is what happens when all of these morons raise hell everywhere about toilet paper! Literally dozens of people a day spewing their fake outrage on these boards. It is literally a group of people who have nothing better to do with their time or energy than complain about things that in the big scheme of things, DO NOT MATTER! When you mix that with the SJW culture at eBay, pure stupidity is the result. Absolutely ridiculous, and eBay should be ashamed for allowing their emotions to cloud their reasoning. Personally, I think those who see an opportunity to get rich on toilet paper are clueless, but being clueless isn't illegal. When all the dust settles, they will regret it because of the amount of money they have tied up in stuff they cannot sell for a profit. There are plenty of opportunities to make money through this situation, toilet paper is not the best one. I can guarantee it. I would recommend raising the issue on social media instead of here. You will get a lot further by doing that. 

Message 104 of 283
latest reply

Ecommerce Bytes (an online journal) already picked this up! Not linking for reasons but go check it out.

Message 105 of 283
latest reply