cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay removed my video game listing for price gouging

This is a rare video game that is no longer made. I had it as $100 which is the going price on ebay, there are lots of other sellers selling it for $130+

. We are aware that this is a video game, but it is obvious that you are taking advantage of the current situation. If you choose to relist this item, please be reasonable with your price. If you do not follow this policy in the future, this may result in the removal of your listings and the suspension of your account.

eBay price gouging policy states: "Items that are considered essential must be offered at a reasonable price"

how is a video game an essential item? Am I no longer allowed to sell rare video games and risk my account being banned for price gouging? My price was fair, and it was the same price as before the virus.

eBay is getting a little ridiculous

Message 1 of 283
latest reply
282 REPLIES 282

Re: eBay removed my video game listing for price gouging

King's Quest Mask of Eternity for pc from 1998

Message 271 of 283
latest reply

My game got flagged. It was King's Quest Mask of Eternity.  My message said only authorized sellers could sell it.  Yikes, was I ever mad.  I got onto eBay help chat and when Rommel explained the policy of targeting essential PPE like sanitizer and masks - bingo the lights went off.  eBay had flagged my game because of the word Mask in the title.  When I changed Mask to Mazk my listing went in without a glitch.

Mystery solved and blood pressure falling.

Message 272 of 283
latest reply

I'll explain.

If you're a "connected" friend, you will be allowed to take advantage of the public. The same thing occurs in Congress and the Big Crooked Banks. You will never be allowed to charge 25% interest on a credit card, unless you paid Congress money. That's why Facebooger, Apphole, Gookle, and others, were allowed a new card to "F" the public.

They say crime doesn't pay. Hmm...Ask Con-Gress?

Message 273 of 283
latest reply

However, essential or not essential, it is illegal under federal, state, and local laws, pretty well everywhere in the world to price gouge. The same thing is happening with Assassin's Creed Valhalla Collector's Edition right now. It is being sold for stupid prices on eBay. Sellers are buying up the whole stock from Ubisoft and chumping the price up to $699.99. The game hasn't even launched yet. This is a problem that needs to be dealt with swiftly.

Message 274 of 283
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Read it carefully, folks......not knowing the title seller is trying to sell is key.

Trinton pretty much stated that the game is still in production, thus not as "rare" as is being told.

Even if it isn't produced anymore, that fact does not make it "rare" or "valuable".

Totally depends on what it is......still produced or not, was it popular, or was it disliked ?

I used to sell vintage Hot Wheels here, 1968 (the first year) pink cars are "rare", they made very few of them since Hot Wheels were for the most part marketed to boys. They are also more "valuable" than the other original cars, or the same car in any other color.

Are the original 1968 original cars in other colors "rare" or "valuable" ? Not really, because even though they haven't produced the original cars in over 50 years, at any given time there are 500-1000 of them listed here and on other platforms.

Message 275 of 283
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

All of you have wasted hours here venting on a deception. 

I have not read all 274 posts here, but do we know the title of the game in question yet ?

Trinton@eBay has worded his messages very carefully, even saying he did not want to dispel the exact problem with the item here. He also said that an inflated price on a rare item could be justified. In the same statement he asked the seller to re-evaluate the item or change the item specifics. eBay is not finding the item to be "rare" or "valuable" above fair market price.

The seller is being called out on inflating the price of an item that is not "rare" or "valuable" during the pandemic.

Doesn't have a lot to do with "essential" or "non-essential", you all turned it into that. Has more to do with the real value of the item, and the timing of the listing.

Neither eBay nor the seller will disclose the title of the game in question.......doesn't that raise a red flag on this whole deal ? 

Please don't waste any more of your time on this, it's been a Red Herring from the beginning.

Message 276 of 283
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

has worded his messages very carefully,

Oh well then

Message 277 of 283
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

He has said it's Doom Switch, new sealed in the original package. people can buy it used for about half the price he was asking and they can get a general download on it for $59. It's no longer in physical production.

There you go........ no longer in production, yet not valuable. Worth half of what he was asking for it.

Message 278 of 283
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do ya feel duped ?! Complete waste of time and effort.

Message 279 of 283
latest reply

LET IT BE KNOWN FAR AND WIDE

Ebay is now the grand arbiter of fair.

But only for buyers.

...and only when it suits them

Message 280 of 283
latest reply

Here is a new over-reach in the same vein. 

Trying to list an antique clorox glass bottle.

Nope.

Message 281 of 283
latest reply

@usgamecollector wrote:

how is a video game an essential item?

That is a very simple question to answer. It is essential because God says so. And God is never wrong. So, yes, if you disagree with God, you at risk to having your account banned.

Message 282 of 283
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 283 of 283
latest reply