cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay providing 2 different versions of shipping address, changing city

I just started using a third-party shipping provider and noticed this problem, the address eBay gives in eBay shipping labels does not match the address it gives you to ship to in eBay's app, paypal, or via its API to third-party shipping providers (if you print your labels outside of eBay).

The address proivded by ebay labels seems to be the actual input of the buyer.

The one provided via the API and in the App is the "corrected" version.   For instance, in the corrected version of a label I just printed, it corrected the city.   Buyer lives outside the city limits, so it put the unincorporated area in place of the city.    It also did some other minor corrections (spacing, etc).

So I'm wondering, which city am I supposed to mail to?  Which city keeps me in the good graces of ebay / paypal seller protection?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: eBay providing 2 different versions of shipping address, changing city

The zip code is really the only thing that matters.

Most likely it's not the eBay API but rather the third-party postage providor that is doing the proper address corrections via a lookup to the USPS database.

With Stamps.com for example you can set the Address Matching System to on or off and also set what level of changes trigger an alert. Some changes such as adding +5 codes don't generate any alert even when alert level is set to "max".

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: eBay providing 2 different versions of shipping address, changing city

Both the ebay app,  in the notification to ship, and paypal email are doing the correction; ebay labels is not.    So I think the correction is coming from ebay before its sent to third party.  The third party I use, near as I can tell, you have to tell it to verify address before anything changes, and then it tells you the changes.

I imagine they both get there just fine; it's if something goes wrong, i'm wondering if I may be told I shipped to the wrong city or something.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply